10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Hi. I'm new here. Maybe this is a bit off topic? :sweat:

I recently stumbled upon a new SSD and a new Imperial Shuttle at my local toy-store. (He has a lot of lego. Taj Mahal, Sopwith Camel, Sydney Opera House etc.)

I live in Norway, so the prices are way higher here than any other place. But I have decided I want to buy one of them. The SSD was at $600 and the Imperial Shuttle was at around $500. Which of these deals are best value in your opinion? I do like the look of the Shuttle better as a piece of art in my apartment. :twitch:

As an investment, The SSD has a much higher ceiling than the Shuttle. (99/100 times +/-3%)

As a build it is 4ft long (1.2m) and looks great.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

As an investment, The SSD has a much higher ceiling than the Shuttle. (99/100 times +/-3%)

As a build it is 4ft long (1.2m) and looks great.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Brickpicker mobile app

Ok, thank you for your reply.

Also; will I have a chance to get maybe most of my money back in a few years even if I build it?

(If I compare the price of the Sony PS4 at launch, it was $400 over there while it was $600 here.)

Hmm...how much is he asking for a Taj Mahal?

He said it was worth over $2000, but it was not for sale :-P

I see the April and May price guide updates for SSD being very healthy.  A sign of things to come.  TRU price will be the median price very shortly.

Agreed.  Emazers was right again.  TRU's higher prices might actually help prices rise faster once a set is EOL.  Pretty soon TRUs $540 will seem like a decent deal. I'm still hoping that LEGO Shop at Home gets some in stock or that TRU lowers its prices so that I can grab a few more.  I wanted to have 20 of these, but I only managed to grab 12. If not for taxes and buying a new house, I would have ordered 8 at Target, but just bad timing by about a month.  I picked up the last one at Disneyland last week.  No other Lego Store in So Cal has any left.   

I think when Lego gets there next Load Of SSD and fills all the orders they are bound to have extra ones to sell, so I would check the Lego site everyday to check as they will go fast, There are a few of us on here that has alot of these, but I will get 4 more if they do pop up, and we really don't know if Amazon, Etc are getting anymore, But the set is done. So I hope you guys have a few bucks put away just in case. Next year with the New Movie this set should be $1000 so you guys that think this set will not bring the big bucks will be sorry, It will be so bad that you will have trouble sleeping at night, and mentally it will be with you for a long time, I have the problem on why I didn't buy 40 or more Remote AT AT, Imperial Flagship, etc, and you guys that are itching to spend alot of money now, just wait and see if more SSD pop up on Line. ED

20 of these, man thats a lot of space. I love the set, but im just not sure how much better than a 100% ROI you can get with it. If discounts were still a thing, you could eat into. But otherwise its just tough at $400.

Even a lot of the older SW UCS sets that have done well were all price points around $200 or lower. 

Based on other non-LEGO stuff I collect, I can definitely see the SSD selling for about $1000 at some point.  Maybe as early as 2016 as Emazers suggests with the release of the new movie.  But even if it takes 4 or 5 years, I'm okay with that since I have the space.  I prefer dealing with just a few larger sets that will net a larger profit than a bunch of small sets that will get me $5-$50 in profit.  It's just so much work to ship stuff out.  Even selling the freebies is a pain in the butt.  It makes me think that double/triple VIP is the most hassle free way to go in terms of discounts.  Very few freebies are worth the extra hassle.  Of course, this is all based on your personal situation.  I simply don't have the time to be shipping stuff out on a daily basis.

Based on other non-LEGO stuff I collect, I can definitely see the SSD selling for about $1000 at some point. Maybe as early as 2016 as Emazers suggests with the release of the new movie. But even if it takes 4 or 5 years, I'm okay with that since I have the space. I prefer dealing with just a few larger sets that will net a larger profit than a bunch of small sets that will get me $5-$50 in profit. It's just so much work to ship stuff out. Even selling the freebies is a pain in the butt. It makes me think that double/triple VIP is the most hassle free way to go in terms of discounts. Very few freebies are worth the extra hassle. Of course, this is all based on your personal situation. I simply don't have the time to be shipping stuff out on a daily basis.

"and that, is why you fail. "

-yoda

"and that, is why you fail. "

-yoda

Not really, I am also slowly moving away from parting out sets and selling stuff.... only MISB sets wil lbe left in my ''arsenal'' hopefuly soon...

With ebay changes again towards store purchase, and Bricklink changes going slowly and increased investors and my lack of time its only wise to do so :)

I was mostly kidding, but not having time to ship things out is bad for a reseller, even if you focus on a few big items. I have similar challenges for my time which slows me down from actually getting stuff quickly listed, out the door and looking for that next great buy.

Guest TabbyBoy

Not really, I am also slowly moving away from parting out sets and selling stuff.... only MISB sets wil lbe left in my ''arsenal'' hopefuly soon...

With ebay changes again towards store purchase, and Bricklink changes going slowly and increased investors and my lack of time its only wise to do so :)

Same here, I'm offloading my CITY and Friends asap at whatever they sell for (mostly a loss). But, I don't care as I'm only buying modulars and large exclusives from now on. Big sets in shipping box = bigger profits = less hassle. The only small set I'll buy is Ecto-1.

Same here, I'm offloading my CITY and Friends asap at whatever they sell for (mostly a loss). But, I don't care as I'm only buying modulars and large exclusives from now on. Big sets in shipping box = bigger profits = less hassle. The only small set I'll buy is Ecto-1.

Why aren't you waiting a little bit before you sell your City and Friends Legos? At least until you break even or make a little profit with them? 

I was mostly kidding, but not having time to ship things out is bad for a reseller, even if you focus on a few big items. I have similar challenges for my time which slows me down from actually getting stuff quickly listed, out the door and looking for that next great buy.

Its not only a problem of taking time to ship (its the biggest though) its also a problem of finding pieces (if you part out) pack them effectively, also have to double check before that, just in case and to list them either on BL or Ebay, taking photos with your name tag next to it, uploading photos and so on.....

During my ''short'' time in LEGO investing I came to a conclusion that unless I make net 50$+(or atleast 150% of what i paid if its less than 50$ item worth) return its not really worth it due to my ''lack of time'' ......

I think the difference is just that there aren't any available via Amazon prime. Many other retired sets have the add to cart box but only if they are eligible for prime.

While I know Amazon has been OOS for a few weeks, I think the template on their listing changed to:

Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers (see all offers.)

Available from these sellers.

They have removed the buy box and all that jazz.

Not sure if this is a sign they wont have them in stock again or not...

Activatation of the buy box depends on many factors most of which are not disclosed by amazon . Price, feedback , prime are contributing factors .

Lack of a buy box doesn't really reflect whether amazon will or will not restock any particular item .

Understood. My point was that the actual page layout changed. Thought it was interesting.... Not sure I have ever seen it switch to this template and then switch back to the traditional one.

Take it for what its worth, as always on this forum we are grasping at straws.

Understood. My point was that the actual page layout changed. Thought it was interesting.... Not sure I have ever seen it switch to this template and then switch back to the traditional one.

Take it for what its worth, as always on this forum we are grasping at straws.

I just meant to clarify for those who might not know ( that's why I didn't quote u).

But yeah who knows ... I'm still thinking one last run but what do i know :)

I just meant to clarify for those who might not know ( that's why I didn't quote u).

But yeah who knows ... I'm still thinking one last run but what do i know :)

I am hoping so. After dealing with walmart CS last night I'd like to be able to tell them to pound sand.  

Based on other non-LEGO stuff I collect, I can definitely see the SSD selling for about $1000 at some point.  Maybe as early as 2016 as Emazers suggests with the release of the new movie.  But even if it takes 4 or 5 years, I'm okay with that since I have the space.  I prefer dealing with just a few larger sets that will net a larger profit than a bunch of small sets that will get me $5-$50 in profit.  It's just so much work to ship stuff out.  Even selling the freebies is a pain in the butt.  It makes me think that double/triple VIP is the most hassle free way to go in terms of discounts.  Very few freebies are worth the extra hassle.  Of course, this is all based on your personal situation.  I simply don't have the time to be shipping stuff out on a daily basis.

Feel free to ship all of those pesky Darth Revan polybags to me :D  I will be more than happy to send you a self addressed stamped envelope.  Or we can trade for Simpsons CMF or something ;)