10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I've a standing offer to pick up a used and complete (according to seller) 10221.

What are the things I should look out for? It's been dismantled. How can I verify it is complete -weigh? Any bricks colour difference I should check?

Thanks

It's always going to be difficult to tell if a dismantled set is complete.  You should be able to tell from the condition of the box and instructions whether the guy is a collector who takes care of things or just a chancer who found one at a boot sale, in loft etc.

The main thing I would check for on SSD is discoloration on the larger surface parts.  Is there any sun damage/fading? 

I think when I bought my SSD there turned out to be 2 small pieces missing but I bought at a price I was comfortable with if I needed to bricklink a few parts.

Edited by Fenix_2k1

I would definitely bring a scale and weight it.  You can get the weight here on Bricklink.

I've seen discussions on other Lego boards lately about Bricklinking one from scratch, and it seems the general consensus is that it's a low cost solution, coming in around RRP to Bricklink.  The reason it's been mentioned is that there aren't any rare parts (at least, that I'm aware of), so if there is anything missing, it should be pretty easy to pick up and complete.

So, as Fenix_2k1 pointed out, look to see how it has been taken care of, and then consider the weight, and if it's close, you should be able to pull the trigger with little risk.

44 minutes ago, mattjay said:

Thanks guys. Seller just replied it was dusty but has been cleaned. However avoided my question whether it's from a smoke free home. Anyway I'll check it out.

Yikes.  Personally, that would be a concern for me.  But if it isn't too far, then check it out.  It's not impossible to get the smoke smell out, but it is a pain.

On ‎12‎-‎4‎-‎2016 at 7:20 PM, Alpinemaps said:

I would definitely bring a scale and weight it.  You can get the weight here on Bricklink.

I've seen discussions on other Lego boards lately about Bricklinking one from scratch, and it seems the general consensus is that it's a low cost solution, coming in around RRP to Bricklink.  The reason it's been mentioned is that there aren't any rare parts (at least, that I'm aware of), so if there is anything missing, it should be pretty easy to pick up and complete.

So, as Fenix_2k1 pointed out, look to see how it has been taken care of, and then consider the weight, and if it's close, you should be able to pull the trigger with little risk.

The yellow technic corner bricks are going to cost a lot (over 10 EUR now on Bricklink), but they are not visible from the outside so can easily be replaced by the cheaper black ones (the only color that is still in production).

• Like 1

The only problem with bricklinking is the resale value. I bought a used set and built it still have the box and instructions but even with a used set the value is still tracking upwards.

A bricklinked one will sell at around, if not less than the cost of its parts. Same as you see with 10179.

If you just want one for you and not bothered about future value then go for it.

• Like 2

The yellow ones are no longer in production in and were used in several popular retired sets: Taj Mahal (4x), VW Beetle (4x), UCS Millennium Falcon (16x) and the UCS SSD (6x). Even used they're hard to find for less than 10 EUR. So it looks like you could make a few thousand profit on them (depending on what you paid for them).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

The yellow technic corner bricks are going to cost a lot (over 10 EUR now on Bricklink), but they are not visible from the outside so can easily be replaced by the cheaper black ones (the only color that is still in production).

4 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

The only problem with bricklinking is the resale value. I bought a used set and built it still have the box and instructions but even with a used set the value is still tracking upwards.

A bricklinked one will sell at around, if not less than the cost of its parts. Same as you see with 10179.

If you just want one for you and not bothered about future value then go for it.

2 hours ago, brettj666 said:

When it was in production, I bought a few hundred of those yellow corner technic bricks. Now over $10 each?? Woo hoo

exactly.  this yellow Angle.Brick - 5X5 element alone will help keep used prices higher for each of the sets containing it. 

just look at the 5 other sets that use this element.  some costly ones except 1. 

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7905-1
brickpicker_set_7905_1.jpg

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7707-1

brickpicker_set_7707_1.jpg

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10179-1

brickpicker_set_10179_9.jpg

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10187-1

brickpicker_set_10187-1_7.jpg

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=10189-1

brickpicker_set_10189_4.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
3 minutes ago, wolfenn said:

what price do you think this will reach in another 2 years ?

Since the original crashed into the Death Star, it's unlikely to reappear in any sequel and 10221 is unlikely be be refreshed. I think this set will worth a lot more in 2 years and I'm holding onto mine until I clear £1,000 profit on each one after fees. I just hope that another Executor Class ship doesn't appear in further movies as it'll probably mean a refesh that us greedy lot don't want!

If I hear the slightest rumour with substance, I'm offloading asap!

shame i wasn't into lego investing 4 years ago i would have bought this, now it just seems like too big of a risk to pay 900 to 1000 euros and hope it reaches at least 1400 in 2 years.  especially as you sad who knows what ships come with new movies and if lego decides to build another executor class ship.

7 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I don't know about 2 years but I don't doubt $2-3k before the remake.

Regardless of what profit I get, my wife already has the money spent.  No joke, trip to Hawaii.  Now we just have to wait and see how much the sales cover when we go in a couple years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wolfenn said:

shame i wasn't into lego investing 4 years ago i would have bought this, now it just seems like too big of a risk to pay 900 to 1000 euros and hope it reaches at least 1400 in 2 years.  especially as you sad who knows what ships come with new movies and if lego decides to build another executor class ship.

You can have 4 years in the time machine. I want slightly more years. Shame I wasn't in Lego investing 10 years ago. Amazon.com didn't include sales tax, exclusives were nicely discounted and most importantly, many many cool sets were either already released or about to be.

• Like 1