10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

​This is a good point, the sheer number of pieces and amount of shipping cost per transaction would likely inflate the brick-linked cost of this set significantly. How many hours do you spend cataloguing and searching for individual parts before your $/hr cost is greater than a couple extra hundred bucks to buy it pre-boxed, pre-sorted, 100% complete?

​But if you bricklink it, you can make it all colorful-like.  Pimp it out the way Vader never got around to doing.  Like the new Friends Star...

• Like 2

​This is a good point, the sheer number of pieces and amount of shipping cost per transaction would likely inflate the brick-linked cost of this set significantly. How many hours do you spend cataloguing and searching for individual parts before your $/hr cost is greater than a couple extra hundred bucks to buy it pre-boxed, pre-sorted, 100% complete?

Not true.  There are a sheer number of pieces, but few rare, and those can be substituted as theyre internal.  Even with adding 1/8 total price for shipping its still far cheaper.  

Again it is a hassle, and pretty certain most would rather just have it all there in a box w instructions.  But the way I looked at it was, for a couple of hours of "work" not only did i get the ship complete, but i got two modulars as well for roughly the price of the ssd misb :)

I wish this were true for all the other ucs sets i missed out due to my dark ages, but unf that is not the case wo making significant alterations/substitutions (isd, bwing, rebel blockade, snowspeeder, etc).  Oh well ill keep trawling thru craigslist ads hoping to score epically one day :)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone snagged one NEW for 125 euros on BL this month - got to wonder what the actual content was but if it was complete, more than a few will be kicking themselves for missing out. Growth in Europe is much much more moderate but I suppose we are 5 months behind in retirement date and it is a smaller market to absorb higher priced sets. Perhaps a real sale value of double MSRP will be feasible by the end of the year.

difference between lowest ($891.99) vs FBA($979.95) that's about $87... about 9% difference. i think this needs to catch up before we see any appreciation or reasonable increase.

this only proves that the FBA (big-sharks) are raising prices :) .

yes, its moving but we still have over 60 sellers and i am guessing that's over 400 SSD's :P

difference between lowest ($891.99) vs FBA($979.95) that's about $87... about 9% difference. i think this needs to catch up before we see any appreciation or reasonable increase.

this only proves that the FBA (big-sharks) are raising prices :) .

yes, its moving but we still have over 60 sellers and i am guessing that's over 400 SSD's :P

presumably, FBAs don't ship all of their big slow selling items all at once, due to storage fees

I will never do FBA, of course what I sell is extremely small, but I see FBA as a big flashing sign that tells the buyer that returns are easy if you change your mind or for any other reason because it's through Amazon and not an individual.

Edited by JRandall

I will never do FBA, of course what I sell is extremely small, but I see FBA as a big flashing sign that tells the buyer that returns are easy if you change your mind or for any other reason because it's through Amazon and not an individual.

So do I, and I completely understand why that doesn't sound so great from a seller's perspective.  However, every large lego set I have ever purchased from an amazon 3rd party seller has been packaged by a moron.  FBA ain't so hot either, but they're better than most 3rd party guys, and returns are much easier.  As far as I'm concerned, if an amazon item is not FBA or sold by amazon directly, it doesn't exist.

So do I, and I completely understand why that doesn't sound so great from a seller's perspective.  However, every large lego set I have ever purchased from an amazon 3rd party seller has been packaged by a moron.  FBA ain't so hot either, but they're better than most 3rd party guys, and returns are much easier.  As far as I'm concerned, if an amazon item is not FBA or sold by amazon directly, it doesn't exist.

I have gotten tons of free Legos because of the inept packaging from 3rd party sellers.  Good thing they were all for personal build. 

My own personal experience is that Amazon ships the Lego sets in oversized boxes with maybe a strip of large plastic bubble and that's it, the sets have a 50/50 chance they will be damaged, whereas all 3rd party sellers I've ever purchased through used excessive bubble wrap/packing peanuts/packing paper to make sure the expensive sets were protected well.

• Like 2

I like dealing with FBA's, since it's easy to return stuff when it's packaged by drunken monkeys (no disrespect, NMM) and arrives nicely pancaked for ease of storage.  Aside from that, I've never understood why FBA commands such a premium.

my experience has been the same.

He means that he's one of the worst people in this world, who straight up scams people by complaining about poor packaging.

I've never gotten free stuff by doing this (I just return wrecked lego boxes), but is it a scam if the packaging really is terrible?  I've had hundreds of dollars in new, formerly MISB sets arrive wrapped in brown paper only (no shipping box), to give just one example.

• Like 1

I like dealing with FBA's, since it's easy to return stuff when it's packaged by drunken monkeys (no disrespect, NMM) and arrives nicely pancaked for ease of storage.  Aside from that, I've never understood why FBA commands such a premium.

This liberal return policy already commands the premium because consumer mind sets like this are willing to pay extras for ease of mind. I do believe sellers in FBA should be able to charge more if they cannot control the return process which ultimately will result in more returns and un-sellable inventory, such as due to Amazon's poor packaging process.

This liberal return policy already commands the premium because consumer mind sets like this are willing to pay extras for ease of mind. I do believe sellers in FBA should be able to charge more if they cannot control the return process which ultimately will result in more returns and un-sellable inventory, such as due to Amazon's poor packaging process.

I agree, and it seems that they can charge a premium.  I've always been willing to pay more to any seller in return for better packaging.  Most simply don't give you the option.  On larger Bricklink orders, you can and should ask for double boxing (two layers of cardboard around the lego boxes) and lots of bubble wrap.  Sellers will charge extra for that, but it's more than worth the cost.  As a seller, I package items extremely well, and literally about 1/100 of 1% of my buyers report any damage in shipment.  This is something sellers can control (packaging that is; rough handling by couriers is a given), and as a buyer I expect them to do so.

Edited by GhostDad
  • Like 1

I agree, and it seems that they can charge a premium.  I've always been willing to pay more to any seller in return for better packaging.  Most simply don't give you the option.  On larger Bricklink orders, you can and should ask for double boxing (two layers of cardboard around the lego boxes) and lots of bubble wrap.  Sellers will charge extra for that, but it's more than worth the cost.  As a seller, I package items extremely well, and literally about 1/100 of 1% of my buyers report any damage in shipment.  This is something sellers can control, and as a buyer I expect them to do so.

But once it goes to FBA, seller no longer have control how the product is packaged for shipping. Which is why FBA is a hit and miss for sellers. Returns can sometimes be the fault of Amazon staff as I have seen pictures on this board that they are shipping items without shipping boxes! Just slap a label on the retail box! If that was my FBA item and it came back as un-sellable and Aamazon will not reimburse for it, there will be hell over the phone with AZ rep

• Like 1

I've never gotten free stuff by doing this (I just return wrecked lego boxes), but is it a scam if the packaging really is terrible?  I've had hundreds of dollars in new, formerly MISB sets arrive wrapped in brown paper only (no shipping box), to give just one example.

(Shameful admission) I bought a Chima set from Amazon (cathartic, but still embarassing) and it arrived with nothing more than brown paper wrapping.  The box was not only dented and smashed, it had been ripped open.  Two of the bags were missing along with some wheels.  I contacted the seller, who said this was how they shipped everything.

I snagged pix and they dragged their feet, but I was eventually able to return the set for a refund - about a month later!!

Fellow BPers: If this was you, or this is how you ship, please be up front with potential buyers so they can end the transaction before it begins or change your errant ways.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

(Shameful admission) I bought a Chima set from Amazon (cathartic, but still embarassing) and it arrived with nothing more than brown paper wrapping.  The box was not only dented and smashed, it had been ripped open.  Two of the bags were missing along with some wheels.  I contacted the seller, who said this was how they shipped everything.

I snagged pix and they dragged their feet, but I was eventually able to return the set for a refund - about a month later!!

Fellow BPers: If this was you, or this is how you ship, please be up front with potential buyers so they can end the transaction before it begins or change your errant ways.

Sorry, I would've contacted Amazon directly immediately...Completely unacceptable ever...

But once it goes to FBA, seller no longer have control how the product is packaged for shipping. Which is why FBA is a hit and miss for sellers. Returns can sometimes be the fault of Amazon staff as I have seen pictures on this board that they are shipping items without shipping boxes! Just slap a label on the retail box! If that was my FBA item and it came back as un-sellable and Aamazon will not reimburse for it, there will be hell over the phone with AZ rep

Fair point.  This is why I don't sell FBA.  Imagine a SSD sold for just shy of $1000, shipped with no box; only a shipping label slapped on the front.  Yikes!

That's ridiculous. It's so easy to acquire boxes too. Plenty of places throw them out, Walmart, Shoppers, etc.

Cheapest on amazon is now 900.99. First time I have seen that, usually a few in the 800's. Cheapest fba is $979. Love it :money:

its a musical chair. nothing has changed in months except that the price has moved up. still 59 sellers.

sales rank has slipped to "#100,096"...

i would say still too many sellers for the price... need to be less than 20 sellers for it to really hold over $1k