10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

The time frame would be one year. That was my point in this whole conversation...What can outperform the SSD over the next 12 months? Also, you would have one week to figure it out. Discounts would not be allowed. Current MSRP or Brickpicker price for retired sets. I would need to have Jeff record the data people are using. No VIP points or other BS. Tax will not count either way. We will have to figure out a shipping solution. SSD price is based on BrickPicker number. I don't care if you sold one for $900.00. I can see some of you are already trying to manipulate this to make it work, but it ain't happening. No voodoo magic and wheeling and dealing. We also have to figure out what the commission fee would be.

• Like 1

the problem with selling SSD now or anytime soon is you will be reading this thread 36-48 months from now when $700 will seem like a good deal once we have 2 years of non zero percent interest rates, actual inflation and real economic recovery under our belts.  there will be a whole fresh crop of childless 20 something Millennial Star Wars geeks with jobs and money.  the competition will have thinned out.  don't you want to be there for that part of the story?

It also depends on how many SSD's you have. I have only 2. So I will keep mine for a while and try to take the maximum out of this investment. If I had for example 12 SSD's, I would sell 2 now. Take already some profit and reinvest.

Man! I still have nightmares about the SSD's I saw at 20% off last September and I did not buy them.  :bad:

It also depends on how many SSD's you have. I have only 2. So I will keep mine for a while and try to take the maximum out of this investment. If I had for example 12 SSD's, I would sell 2 now. Take already some profit and reinvest.

Man! I still have nightmares about the SSD's I saw at 20% off last September and I did not buy them.  :bad:

Can't have them all Cig... you have plenty of other investments that will bring you nice

• Like 3

We both agree that money will not be lost on investing on the Sea Cow or the Fairground Mixer.

The question that Ed asked was what would you invest your money in, if you're taking it out of SSDs.  I'm thinking long term, not short term investments.  I do agree with you that short term, this is not the place to put your money.  I will also agree that ToO is a good set to invest in, and buying 4 ToOs with the money from 1 SSD is not a bad thing at all - if you sell SSD at $750, invest another $50, you've taken $450 and turned it into an $800 investment quickly.  When both were available at RRP, I considered which was the smarter investment - 2x ToO or 1x SSD.  Although I put the money into an SSD, I seriously considered 2x ToO to be the better investment long term.

To answer your question about the Sea Cow and Fairground Mixer, I will use one set to answer both of these questions:  10196 - Grand Carousel

Sea Cow - I didn't like it; until I saw it in person.  Then I was blown away.  This set is flying under the radar IMO.  It's routinely hard to find, and routinely sells above RRP on eBay.  Ship completest will want it.  Lego Movie completest will want it.  It's honestly a really awesome looking ship.  I'm not a ship collector at all, but I have one in my personal collection (not yet built), because it's just that darn cool looking.

Sea Cow and Grand Carousel were both $250 RRP.  I remember looking at the GC, loving it, but never buying it (I was still in my dark ages).  I remember thinking, "who would pay $250 for a LEGO set?"  Eight of them sold in January on eBay, with an average price of $2,100.  Nearly 10x RRP.  Am I suggesting that the Sea Cow will hit 10x RRP?  Of course not.  But I do think that these sets are very similar in appeal, value, and availability.

Fairground Mixer - you ask the question, "who is your target buying audience for that?"  Let's the the obviously out of the way first - the same people who would by GC. But, it goes beyond that.  LEGO Group clearly thinks there is a buying audience - we've got a new Ferris Wheel coming out later this year.  Those two sets will compliment each other very well. On top of that, you've got the Joker's Funhouse set (retired last year), Joker's Bumper Car (2015), and the new Jokerland sets.  Together, that's a pretty decent "county fair" theme without even trying.  Maybe that's a stretch for most people.  It works for me.

But, I think the FM is another set that is undervalued and underhoarded at this time.  It's another set that's flying under the radar.  And, if TLG is starting another major, yearly theme (a la Modulars), then FM is the first of the theme.

Sorry, but you lost me there - comparing the Mixer or even the Sea Cow to the Grand Carousel is just way too odd and random for my taste. Putting the Sea Cow in there to compare with the Carousel is like comparing the Arkham Asylum to Taj Mahal, whereas a comparison between Carousel and Mixer seems to be like putting the Creator SOH besides Architecture SOH. This way you could compare anything with everything.

The Grand Carousel is like a landmark, without the historic component. It's iconic, it's big, it's unique. And that's why people love it. Sea Cow is neither iconic, nor do I believe in too many LEGO Movie completionists. Fairground Mixer is a toy all the way. Display that on your desk and show your friends - they will feel the urge to play with you. Display a GC - and they will freeze with admiration not even thinking about playing or even touching it.

• Like 1

The idea of selling a SSD today and turning those funds into another set or set to see which would make more profit is certainly an interesting debate.

I haven't seen mention of the EEE in here though. This set is readily available at LEGO Shop at Home, but nowhere else and sells above MSRP consistently. While it's likely to never reach $350 per unit it's performance while being available shouldn't be overlooked IMO.

Another set that comes to mind is the mobile crane. It's the largest to date and if recent performance of technic sets of that scale are an indication of how this will do I can see it out performing the SSD over a 12 month window.

I do believe however that in the long term 3-4 years the SSD will out perform them both.

If we're talking short term I'd wager that the Santa's workshop out performs the SSD by a long shot.

Edited by beartrapper

Sorry, but you lost me there - comparing the Mixer or even the Sea Cow to the Grand Carousel is just way too odd and random for my taste. Putting the Sea Cow in there to compare with the Carousel is like comparing the Arkham Asylum to Taj Mahal, whereas a comparison between Carousel and Mixer seems to be like putting the Creator SOH besides Architecture SOH. This way you could compare anything with everything.

The Grand Carousel is like a landmark, without the historic component. It's iconic, it's big, it's unique. And that's why people love it. Sea Cow is neither iconic, nor do I believe in too many LEGO Movie completionists. Fairground Mixer is a toy all the way. Display that on your desk and show your friends - they will feel the urge to play with you. Display a GC - and they will freeze with admiration not even thinking about playing or even touching it.

FgJs6Rr.jpg

They go hand in hand. Any person who has built any sort of city scape will always want one of these. The first being out of reach for most will drive demand for the mixer. And everyone knows there is always an Ecto 1 parked at the fairgrounds, so having either one of these sets drives demand for Slimer and company. It;s really just simple math mixeled with fresh cotton candy. How many times have you seen a SSD parked out front at the fair? Exactly....

Edited by amtrak23
  • Like 3

Completely agree with Alpine here.

Lego ship enthusiasts are the craziest, must-have-one-of-each-set of the bunch.  Same with train folks. Always an audience for our boat/train investment sets with these maniacs... I know from experience (congrats to whichever of you I bought a Black Pearl from for three hundred dollars).

The Lego Movie is just getting started. Franchise-power is the name of the game in Hollywood. Get ready for a SW movie every year, multiple Marvel Avengers universe films every year, and next...

Lego Movies galore.

Four movies are already schedule for production; the first being Lego Batman (May 2017). A May release date from Warner Brothers tells you something very important: this film is a heavy-weight, and will be contending with a slew of other summer blockbusters. Huge money, huge audience. And a very bright future for the entire franchise.

This makes the flagship set from the first movie- The Sea Cow- an outstanding investment. There will be future demand. Just like the fairground "theme"... future iterations will drive past theme demand. And speculating here... as an investor, I love the lack of investment buzz around this set. It pairs wonderfully with the fairground themes, it pairs wonderfully along with the modular lines, it looks great on its own, it's an extraordinarily complex design scheme.

To quote W. Buffett... "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful".

To each their own on any investments- I will be placing significant $ into both these sets.

Edited by Cross
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to collect data a few dozen sets (including this one)... I'm looking to get an estimate of just when this set "disappeared" in the US.  Not official EOL... not, "last set bought after f5-ing for 12 weeks straight", ...but rather, just when was it last available to the general "non-fanatic" public (via TLG, TRU, Amazon... or wherever).  Anyone remember buying one just before it disappeared?  About when was that?

I'm trying to collect data a few dozen sets (including this one)... I'm looking to get an estimate of just when this set "disappeared" in the US.  Not official EOL... not, "last set bought after f5-ing for 12 weeks straight", ...but rather, just when was it last available to the general "non-fanatic" public (via TLG, TRU, Amazon... or wherever).  Anyone remember buying one just before it disappeared?  About when was that?

Well, entire thousand strong fleet of SSDs disappeared one day from amazon. Exciter probably remember the day (or use triple animal with humps)

Well, entire thousand strong fleet of SSDs disappeared one day from amazon. Exciter probably remember the day (or use triple animal with humps)

I thought they started disappearing right before double-VIP in October. Did anyone get one from S@H during double-VIP in October 2014?  I know the Amazon F5 game lasted for most of Nov. & first week of Dec.

I'm pretty sure it was June or early July 2014 on amazon.

I thought they started disappearing right before double-VIP in October. Did anyone get one from LEGO Shop at Home during double-VIP in October 2014?  I know the Amazon F5 game lasted for most of Nov. & first week of Dec.

You sure you are thinking of the right set? It was pretty much done by May 4th event - only April backorders were being fullfilled

I ordered my last one 7/28/14 when they were briefly back on Shop. It shipped 8/14. I remember some had their orders cancelled. Not sure if it came back after though.