10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I agree with previous posters regarding holding on to your SSDs if possible. There are a handful of iconic SW ships and they won't be remaking that one, nor making another one that large, so I personally will probably hold it for years looking towards an inevitable $2,000-3,000 price point 4-5 years from now, if not sooner.  As the years pass more of the SSDs sold will be opened and built, and fewer will remain boxed or new, and the demand from the new movies will spur new collectors to complete their UCS collections.  I really wish instead of buying all the LOTR/Modular sets I own I would have just purchased 10-20 of them even at MSRP...  Same thing will occur with the Tower Bridge as it will never be remade. 

On the other hand, when I look at sets like Ecto-1, Deloren etc. and they already have 180 listings on Amazon alone I think the ability to recoup money could take a very long time, especially when many sellers obviously have more than one. Sure it will go up in value, but it may hold a very long time like 41999 and many others. It took 6 years for King's Castle Seige 7094 to jump from $200 new to $400 and that jump literally occurred in 1 or 2 weeks(I can't understand it).

Edited by JRandall

You're right and I agree with you. And no, i wasn't sarcastic which is probably the worst bit of it all. Before I answer I actually opened the lego.com website to look what these Mixels are about, because I had no idea seriously. And yes, I've seen them before but they're for kids and I have no interest in them what so ever. I enjoyed nice challenging sets ever since I was a kid (Technic got me into lego), so there is no way to get me interested in these. On top of that I have no time to waste chasing these ones on a lower price so I can shift them on ebay later on. I am not a full-time ebayer.

I'll just go back to what I said previously - whether you want to consider a quick flip, or good timing, I sold a lot of Mixels Series 1 for 2.75x RRP, while I have not sold any SSDs for more than 1.8x RRP.

It feels like cheating, but I'd be willing to bet that 50 x parted out double decker couches would beat 1 x SSD handily.  Of course, that doesn't place much value on the investor's time.  To be fair, there probably needs some fine print stating a rough equivalency in time invested listing, packing, and shipping.  Or maybe just limit the bet to sets of MSRP $100 or more with no parting out allowed.  Two winters ago, I was able to cobble together $40 profit (after fees) per EDB set (purchased at around $90) by parting out, but I'm not trying that again.  Minimum wage work is no fun at all.

It feels like cheating, but I'd be willing to bet that 50 x parted out double decker couches would beat 1 x SSD handily. Of course, that doesn't place much value on the investor's time. To be fair, there probably needs some fine print stating a rough equivalency in time invested listing, packing, and shipping. Or maybe just limit the bet to sets of MSRP $100 or more with no parting out allowed. Two winters ago, I was able to cobble together $40 profit (after fees) per EDB set (purchased at around $90) by parting out, but I'm not trying that again. Minimum wage work is no fun at all.

Right. There has to be money subtracted from the starting SSD price for sales fees as well.

Right. There has to be money subtracted from the starting SSD price for sales fees as well.

You're basically talking about doing Grolim's six month investment game where...

1) The house has an SSD as their starting investment.

2) The players get to spend the money left after fees and expenses from selling an SSD at a current market value.

3) At the end of a period of time, everyone sells for then market value minus fees and expenses.

You're basically talking about doing Grolim's six month investment game where...

1) The house has an SSD as their starting investment.

2) The players get to spend the money left after fees and expenses from selling an SSD at a current market value.

3) At the end of a period of time, everyone sells for then market value minus fees and expenses.

And it has to run for 12 months. episode 7 release date is Dec 15. You don't want to use December prices for comparison.

• Like 1

And it has to run for 12 months. episode 7 release date is Dec 15. You don't want to use December prices for comparison.

I would if I was the house. ;)

Of course I think this is Ed's point exactly... with the new movie coming out this December, do you really want to risk selling an SSD right now when the market price could go through the roof?

The "cheaper" Star Wars sets in my pile are up for sale.. the more expensive ones are not. I think they have a huge potential to spike in prices around Oct/Nov just before Xmas and the movie as fans clamor for more Star Wars.

I think we should have a site wager. Dollar for dollar....My SSD vs whatever you can buy with the money from a sold SSD based on the Brickpicker price guide. I'll send the winner some sort of GC. If I win, nobody gets a thing. Let me think on it.

This idea seems familiar :)

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/9539-400-to-spend-one-big-exclusive-or-lots-of-discount-sets/?view=findpost&p=259768

So an SSD sold today for 800 nets you around 700 after fees & shipping. With that 700 i'll take 14 Ecto-1s, or perhaps 7 Winter VIllage Markets or 7 FallingWaters, 3.5 Red 5's (if Lego ever ships them) or one of my FAVORITE picks right now. 35 Empire State Buildings. That might be the winner. FInal Answer 35 Empire State Buildings for the win.

Super easy to ship and store. BIG % ROI winner, almost guaranteed retired, yet easily purchased at retail for a little bit longer. I can get 5 of them at a time at B&****** online right now. (add discounted gift cards and finding them in store with 10% off it's even more ridiculous.

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 1

I think we should have a site wager. Dollar for dollar....My SSD vs whatever you can buy with the money from a sold SSD based on the Brickpicker price guide. I'll send the winner some sort of GC. If I win, nobody gets a thing. Let me think on it.

I'm in.  I actually sold a SSD for $700 recently and bought 4 damaged box ToO right after it.  $800 but with 2000 VIP points so $700 in essence.

so in 1 year I do think 4 ToO would be worth more than 1 SSD.

BP vs BP would only be 1 vs 3 though  ($686 for 1 SSD, and 232x3 = $696 ToO) even though you can buy ToO still at retail.  

Just give me 3.5 ToO ($700) vs 1 SSD ($700)

1 Year from Today 2/26/2016 whatever the BP value of 1 SSD vs 3.5 ToO wins

I win and you have to sell a set LOL.  You win and I'll give you a Joker Steamroller seeing its the theme of the day!

• Like 1

I'm in.  I actually sold a SSD for $700 recently and bought 4 damaged box ToO right after it.  $800 but with 2000 VIP points so $700 in essence.

so in 1 year I do think 4 ToO would be worth more than 1 SSD.

BP vs BP would only be 1 vs 3 though  ($686 for 1 SSD, and 232x3 = $696 ToO) even though you can buy ToO still at retail.  

Just give me 3.5 ToO ($700) vs 1 SSD ($700)

1 Year from Today 2/26/2016 whatever the BP value of 1 SSD vs 3.5 ToO wins

I win and you have to sell a set LOL.  You win and I'll give you a Joker Steamroller seeing its the theme of the day!

I guess that begs the question, MSRP buy-in vs. MSRP buy-in?

I guess that begs the question, MSRP buy-in vs. MSRP buy-in?

normally that would probably work but the question was what would you take the $700 from and invest in better than SSD gains in 1 year from the point it is at now.  So basically what could you turn that $700 into possibly $900-1000 if that's what we are thinking SSD will be 1 year from now which sounds reasonable as a guess.

All this point and counterpoint makes me think of a dysfunctional senate which makes me think of the galactic republic Senate which makes me think of this quote

"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause."

I think we could take 15 years analyzing all the basis for the bet while Rome burns. LOL

As the Lego lady says ok let's carry on.

Back to establishing baselines...

Calling S @ **** now to place my order of 3.5 R5.

CS: Would you like the left wing or the right wing for your .5? 

Me: Left wing, please. Do you still have the construction worker?

CS: Sorry we ran out I'll throw in half a 2015 Calendar. Do you want the first semester or second semester? Or would you rather get even months only.

:P

Ghostbusters...buy 14 with $700 SSD funds. $1400 by this time next yr. Since it is done for sure it it will dry up quicker than ToO and rise quicker me thinks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Brickpicker mobile app

thats a good one too.  I got $70 for some damaged ones in Sept/Oct when they were sold out for a bit so $100 if gone 1 year from now is very possible.

I liked picking these up damaged before they changed the points chart.  They were originally 500 bonus points making them half price.  To bad that didn't last.

It does not matter what you sell really. No matter where you work... routine and boredom hit you. If it is fiesta or ferrari. It does not matter. As long as you make good money.

There is only one nice work and that is fireworks.

Funny you should mention...  Aside from LEGO investing, that's my other "second" job!  In the US, seasonally they fit together really well.

the problem with selling SSD now or anytime soon is you will be reading this thread 36-48 months from now when $700 will seem like a good deal once we have 2 years of non zero percent interest rates, actual inflation and real economic recovery under our belts.  there will be a whole fresh crop of childless 20 something Millennial Star Wars geeks with jobs and money.  the competition will have thinned out.  don't you want to be there for that part of the story? 

A big thing about selling SSD now vs. later is that if you sell now and profit $300-$400 and have $700-$800 to reinvest, then you can build on top of that $300-$400 profit. These other sets make a lot of sense because they will have an initial spike after retirement just like every other solid investment. You say SSD at $900 this time next year, then that is an additional $100-$200 profit. I know 3 Orthancs will dominate that and Ghostbusters would kill it too. It's all about time and effort. Hop on a train that is just getting going or one that is settling in at a nice pace, your choice.