10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

No price is too high for an SSD. I'm snapping up all I can right now at $800, 'cause some anonymous guy on this site told me it's sure to hit $2k by this time next year. Last Fall, I was buying SSD's at $700 and passing up HH and TH at MSRP to free up funds. So far that hasn't worked out, but I'm sure it will given time. After putting all my retirement funds into Phoenix real estate in 2006 and buying shares in offshore oil drillers on margin last summer, it's a relief to have finally found a sure-fire investment in SSD's at 2 x MSRP!

Let us know if you are either having a bad day or need recommendations for real estate, oil, and drilling investment forums. If you have a problem with someone's projections, send a PM. No, I'm not singling you out. This notice is for everyone.

yes!  sell them all and invest in a set that might retire or have far slower growth after retiirement.

regardless of investing, the principle is the same. never sell when the investment is still rapidly appreciating. 

Starting later this year, more and more our members will regret selling 10221, 10228, and 10224 for even 1.5x to 2x MSRP. These are the only post-2010 released sets that have even a remote chance at hitting the $1000+ mark.

SSD only went up 5.8% last month...Time to sell!

• Like 1

Let us know if you are either having a bad day or need recommendations for real estate, oil, and drilling investment forums. If you have a problem with someone's projections, send a PM. No, I'm not singling you out. This notice is for everyone.

So now users are supposed to debate projections in PM? Kinda defeats the purpose of the forum.

• Like 1

I find it amusing how sarcasm and snark get reacted to by the mods depending on who said it.

My sarcasm is constructive. I think you all know how I feel about flipping the SSD or a Town Hall at this time. Go flip a Friends set if you have the urge. There is nothing wrong with sarcasm in moderation.

Starting later this year, more and more our members will regret selling 10221, 10228, and 10224 for even 1.5x to 2x MSRP. These are the only post-2010 released sets that have even a remote chance at hitting the $1000+ mark.

Well at least there is a good piece of advice that came out of all of this.....

• Like 1

Bottom line is this...

We are on the verge of the most hyped movie of all time. Anything STAR WARS will be hot. Flipping out of a SSD now to buy other sets could be one of the worst LEGO investing moves ever made IMO. What will a person flip into? SOH? Is it retiring? Do people care? ToO? Same thing. Pet Shop? One only has to look at the Fire Brigade to see this set won't explode. Palace Cinema? Same thing. Tower Bridge? Sure...maybe next year. Death Star. LOL. Tumbler, Slave or Helicarrier...not ready to retire. Town Hall? Too late. See my point?

This set is a keeper. Be patient. While there are no guarantees, I don't see another set capable of growing hundreds of dollars over the course of the next year.

• Like 3

Bottom line is this...

We are on the verge of the most hyped movies of all time.  Anything STAR WARS will be hot.  Flipping out of a SSD now to buy other sets could be one of the worst LEGO investing moves ever made IMO.  What will a person flip into?  SOH?  Is it retiring?  Do people care?  ToO?  Same thing.  Pet Shop?  One only has to look at the Fire Brigade to see this set won't explode.  Palace Cinema?  Same thing.  Tower Bridge?  Sure...maybe next year.  Death Star.  LOL.  Tumbler, Slave or Helicarrier...not ready to retire.  Town Hall?  Too late.  See my point?

This set is a keeper.  Be patient.  While there are no guarantees, I don't see another set capable of growing hundreds of dollars over the course of the next year.  

I say let them sell for their 2x. They will then be out of the game and wont have to worry about them messing with our profits later on

• Like 1

If I had any SSD's, I'd still be holding them.  That's mainly because of the time commitment involved in packing and shipping.  But it's not risk-free to hold either.  You are running the risk of, aside from the possibility of general decline of interest in Lego, a possible remake of 10030 (as with 10240).  I also would not be buying this set as an investment at the current secondary market price, as some have suggested here in the past.  The great thing about Lego investing as opposed to buying stocks or real estate is that in effect you continually get new chances to buy in at the bottom.  Not with this particular set, of course, but there are always other desirable Lego sets retiring.  Just be patient and wait for the next train rather than running to catch up with this one.