10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

^^ CC, same here... 5 total, but likely to build one. All are sealed for the long-haul- can't wait to see this sets progress as scarcity sets in and the new movies roll out.

_ _ _ _ _

Edit: ... though I have to wonder about the science behind a "super star destroyer". I need to brush up on some Hawkins, but aren't stars basically just massive, flaming balls of hydrogen fuel?

How would you "destroy one", and...

If you were in the midst of an inter-galactic war, what would be the benefit of doing so?

SSD Crewman: "Sir, we are being attacked by an enormous fleet of X-wings and other Republic gunships. Need your orders, sir".

SSD Captain: Never mind them. See that star over there? Let's blow it up.

SSD Crewman: "Sir, our vessel has taken over 4,000 direct hits in the last twenty seconds. I advise we use our guns to fight these guys instead".

SSD Captain: YOUR INSOLENCE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

SSD Crewman: Sir, that star hasn't fired anything at all at us. The way I see it- and I may be alone here- is that it's just a star, and is not posing a direct threat to our mission or campaign. Those X-wings, on the other hand, have now killed over 11,000 crewman and Stormtroopers since we started this discussion. They may be faceless people to you, sir, but seven of those Stormtroopers (Randy, Hal, Alice, Tom, Angela, Stephen and Bob) are part of our Thursday-night Baccarat club. They are people, sir. Tom's kid plays soccer with yours, Sir, and I just feel that...

AAAAND KABLOOOOIE.

With the cost, labor, time, effort, and engineering prowess needed to design a ship that can blow up a star, imagine if that had all been put into a ship that blew up OTHER ships, instead of stars.

I think the Empire's engineer that built this one is the same guy who built the Death Star, and decided it would be a great idea to have a couple completely open, unexposed shafts leading to the very heart of the entire contraption- where an accurately-placed rock from a sling-shot would destroy the entire thing.

Edited by Cross
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Who just bought the 85.00 dollar SSD on ebay from the seller who wanted to be paid with bitcoin? People make me LOL!!

Looks like he sold 4 SSD at that price.

Wouldn't it be more profitable and not that much harder to sell it $300 (if the goal is to resell it within 24h)  and then convert the money into bitcoins ?

Yup, second hand ones are going for above  RRP  here now but there seems to be a 600 euro ceiling on new ones. I guess the new movie will help it along but its normal that very few people are willing or able to spend so much on one set so soon after EOL (it was still marked on sale 30% off until very recently).

Edited by valenciaeric

Its a great set, no doubt about it. Even more, to second your opinion,,,the fact that people are paying so much money for a set which recently went eol means only one thing: people reallly want that big bad boy!

One thing that puzzles me though. I know that the SSD will never reach the status of the MF, but if it comes close...that will be good enough. At the same time it soon will cost the same as SD 10030, which has already been on EOL for years...

I think one of the biggest selling points for this set is that its the only SSD around. Iconic old trilogy ship and this is the only option. A cool regular 600-1000 pieces set would be hard to make? Has anyone seen a well done MOC that size? I havent. But if Lego pulled that off, it could hurt this a bit (not much but maybe enough to notice).

Was happy to grab 3 (for 1100

• Like 1

I think one of the biggest selling points for this set is that its the only SSD around. Iconic old trilogy ship and this is the only option. A cool regular 600-1000 pieces set would be hard to make? Has anyone seen a well done MOC that size? I havent. But if Lego pulled that off, it could hurt this a bit (not much but maybe enough to notice).

Was happy to grab 3 (for 1100

I need an excuse to be the four-thousand-and-1th- poster to this thread- so I offer you this:

The Super Star Destroyer is super.

I just hope- and secretly fear- that it may, one day, destroy our own star (the sun). Things would get really cold then, and I am already irritated by my $200+ $ heating bill a month.

Imagine what that bill would be if we didn't have our sun to warm things up.

So I say this to you, Super Star Destroyer:

Have a field day out there in the Galaxy. But leave our Sun alone.

• Like 2

After seeing pics of the microfigs included in the upcoming UCS Helicarrier, makes me wish Lego did the same with this set. 10221 is the perfect ship for the microfigs due to the size scaling...

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/12498-ucs-avengers-helicarrier-76042/?p=412716

Here's a start:

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=3866-1