10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

I can't see any future SW set that would come even close to the 10211, not in the near future at least. This ship is absolutely amazing to look at, and it's design is too amazing for its own good. Even the miniature of the Star Destroyer on the side doesn't do it justice for the sheer size of the actual ship, which is 19km in real life!

That being said, I have little belief that the new ships created by the Concept Artists working on the new movies will match or even get close to the ones we know from EP 4-5. The artwork of Mr. McQuarrie (who is no longer between is) is nothing less but a touch of genius, the art, the vision, the scale, the innovation ..everything. Huge part of the success of SW is thanks to him (and Sir. John Williams for the music of course), so that leaves pretty much all SW Exclusive sets (Ep 4-6) into a league of their own - the MF, the Imperial Shuttle, Super Star Destroyer and Star Destroyer, X-Wing etc (+ the new UCS Slave I & Sandcrawler). With the 10221 SSD being so iconic there is no limit to the expectations of this set. I can only feel sorry for those Lego and SW fans that don't have it or couldn't afford it while available at retail. Lego gets better with the making of the new sets, but I doubt the new designs from SW will be as legendary and diverse as the ones we've got.

One thing though, the 10212 Imperial Shuttle is another masterpiece, which looks soooo sooo good. It is criminally underrated, which is the only thing holding its price now after EOL!

I can't see any future SW set that would come even close to the 10211, not in the near future at least. This ship is absolutely amazing to look at, and it's design is too amazing for its own good. Even the miniature of the Star Destroyer on the side doesn't do it justice for the sheer size of the actual ship, which is 19km in real life!

That being said, I have little belief that the new ships created by the Concept Artists working on the new movies will match or even get close to the ones we know from EP 4-5. The artwork of Mr. McQuarrie (who is no longer between is) is nothing less but a touch of genius, the art, the vision, the scale, the innovation ..everything. Huge part of the success of SW is thanks to him (and Sir. John Williams for the music of course), so that leaves pretty much all SW Exclusive sets (Ep 4-6) into a league of their own - the MF, the Imperial Shuttle, Super Star Destroyer and Star Destroyer, X-Wing etc (+ the new UCS Slave I & Sandcrawler). With the 10221 SSD being so iconic there is no limit to the expectations of this set. I can only feel sorry for those Lego and SW fans that don't have it or couldn't afford it while available at retail. Lego gets better with the making of the new sets, but I doubt the new designs from SW will be as legendary and diverse as the ones we've got.

One thing though, the 10212 Imperial Shuttle is another masterpiece, which looks soooo sooo good. It is criminally underrated, which is the only thing holding its price now after EOL!

Only so that nobody gets confused... 10211 is the Grand Emporium ^.^ it only had some small insignificant moments in the original triology of Star Wars, whereas 10221 is the Super-Stardestroyer that we all love so dear... transposed digits ;-)

I can only hope that you are wrong. But since we are all already spoiled with all kinds of space vehicles from Star Wars and all those other movies/series it's more difficult for the designers to come up with something refreshingly new that gives us this moment of amazement.

If Star Wars were real, then yeah, real life. :cheese:

Does anybody in Europe want to help me get a few sets?

Of course, actually I've just been waiting for somebody to ask!

Would you prefer that I just give them to you for free and also pay the shipping and customs or should I just smuggle like 10 boxes to the U.S. in my cabbin luggage and enjoy a nice trip to the U.S.?

Either way I feel that you should at least get the promo polybags and LEGO-VIP-points as well since they came with those sets so I don't want to separate them now.

Wanna fries with that?

P.S.:

You do have noticed that they are sold out here as well haven't you? ;-)

Edited by Locutus001

Still available for 380 euro p.p:

http://www.thystoys.nl/lego-star-wars/23577-10221-lego-star-wars-super-star-destroyer-673419145701.html#

This shop bought a lot of the August wave. A lot of people (including me) reserved a few for a price of 340 euro pp, they were unlucky that the shipments came in start September but it was too late because Intertoys had them exactly that time for 320 euro. People cancelled their orders before Thystoys shipped and bought this set at Intertoys saving some euro's. 

Edit: You can still put the item in your basket, but there is a remark that it is 'Temporarily not available', perhaps they are sold out though.

Edited by JM123
  • Like 1

Everytime I'm reading about dutch discounts I'm getting jealous...

Everytime I see those German driving their luxury (sports)cars paying low taxes for it I envy them ;-) same thing with your houses.. 400k you get a normal sized house in Holland, while you get a luxury villa in Germany. Sometimes I don't understand why most Germans don't live in villa's, their wages and tax system is also much better than in Holland.. I guess they are spending all there money on Lego :-O

Man, sometimes I wish I was living in Germany.. everything is better except the Lego discounts and your college system, because a lot of Germans are studying at Dutch universities also (University of Twente is comprising 1/3 German students at this moment) Luckily I only live 15 km from the border of this nice country.

Don't know about prices in netherlands ^.^ Most of the time it doesn't seem to be too far apart when I'm there.

(Cannot say anything ont he topic of taxes either xD).

400k... well you'll get a nice house depending on "where" that's true. Wouldn't say a villa though but rather a normal (big) house.

I think this might be due to the fact that Germany is bigger so there is more space with fewer people where prices stay below those of bigger cities.

As for the last point: I also live near the border ^.^ So if there actually are great discounts I can still drive to visit my friendly neighbours. Or just to enjoy some of those awesome dutch fries ^.^

Still available for 380 euro p.p:

http://www.thystoys.nl/lego-star-wars/23577-10221-lego-star-wars-super-star-destroyer-673419145701.html#

This shop bought a lot of the August wave. A lot of people (including me) reserved a few for a price of 340 euro pp, they were unlucky that the shipments came in start September but it was too late because Intertoys had them exactly that time for 320 euro. People cancelled their orders before Thystoys shipped and bought this set at Intertoys saving some euro's. 

Edit: You can still put the item in your basket, but there is a remark that it is 'Temporarily not available', perhaps they are sold out though.

i contacted them after trying to place an order

"The Lego Star Wars star destroyer is no longer available.

Because we can no longer order this set from Lego, we have cancelled your order."

I only have 1 of these which I bought from my local lego store in the uk a few days ago.  I would like to get another and I believe they still have some in stock.  Not withstanding that they will probably recognise me (I am 6 feet 11 inches tall so tend to stand out!) am I likely to encounter any problems if I try to buy again and use my VIP card?  When they take the card will the staff member be able to see that I already bought one a few days ago?

I only have 1 of these which I bought from my local lego store in the uk a few days ago.  I would like to get another and I believe they still have some in stock.  Not withstanding that they will probably recognise me (I am 6 feet 11 inches tall so tend to stand out!) am I likely to encounter any problems if I try to buy again and use my VIP card?  When they take the card will the staff member be able to see that I already bought one a few days ago?

Some here have argued that they do not see WHAT you buy when you use your VIP-card in the stores, but only how much you pay... (personally I doubt that).

If you have only bought one so far I don't think that you should have any problems though! So you liked it and want to have one for christmas now... what's the problem?

Besides there has been not limit. I cannot speak for your purchase history but with the information you've given me I'd say you are rather safe.

Also I don't know how often you're visiting that LEGO store but normally there are sooo many people visiting LEGO stores that the employees (which don't work there everyday all the time but rotate) probably won't recognize you and even if why should they care? (Or has there been a sign saying "only one SSD for every customer! If you try to get more and we catch you red-handed ninja-monkeys will be set free from our employees to show you the consequences if you don't follow our rules!")