10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

This thread has become ridiculous, some of you guys are causing people that can't afford to lose money to spend too much time speculating on what we won't know the outcome of for a few years, and spending too much money on sets that aren't proven or they really can't afford. I'd guess that 90% of the people on this site can't afford some crazy economic blowup or toy "depression" that would keep their Lego's valued at retail or slightly less for the next 4 years, and that could really hurt some people who don't make alot of money yet are buying as many of the big sets as they can.

This post made me LOL.......it's called free will dude.
  • Like 1

This post made me LOL.......it's called free will dude.

People don't believe in brainwashing these days? It's clear that site owners obviously set this site up with intent to persuade honest folks to follow their wicked ways. Good thing I have might tinfoil hat on... on a related note, couple more SSDs finally got shipped from the other day

In reference to the SSD, what would your advice be to other members?

If they live check to check or aren't even working full time they better pray more aren't dumped on the market as time goes on and people are still buying these even at $800+ which hasn't been reached yet.  Many larger sets post 2010 aren't selling at high dollar amounts over retail cost even 4 years later yet some of the retired smaller sets have more than doubled in value. If those who own 20-30 of these or more start offloading these as prices near 800 or 900 it could take much longer to sell even one and the supply stays up while everyone hopes the demand stays up.

Fresh corn and roadside vegetable stands are still one of the most lucrative investment ventures, especially for teachers who have more spare time in the Summer months. I might start another thread for this, since it directly applies to your statements.  Summers with drought or too much rain might drive up commodity prices, but it's been one of the most consistent investment opportunities in this part of the country.

Buy low, sell high!

I'm betting they pay taxes on all that income also right... that's why those marginal returns are so lucrative.

• Like 1

If they live check to check or aren't even working full time they better pray more aren't dumped on the market as time goes on and people are still buying these even at $800+ which hasn't been reached yet. Many larger sets post 2010 aren't selling at high dollar amounts over retail cost even 4 years later yet some of the retired smaller sets have more than doubled in value. If those who own 20-30 of these or more start offloading these as prices near 800 or 900 it could take much longer to sell even one and the supply stays up while everyone hopes the demand stays up.

People living check to check should not be able to buy $400 nonessential items. That's the definition of living check to check

People living check to check should not be able to buy $400 nonessential items. That's the definition of living check to check

Or it's exactly why they live check to check. Buy legos you can't afford, preferably from me, and the debt keeps you living check to check. It's the American way!

• Like 1

This thread has become ridiculous, some of you guys are causing people that can't afford to lose money to spend too much time speculating on what we won't know the outcome of for a few years, and spending too much money on sets that aren't proven or they really can't afford. I'd guess that 90% of the people on this site can't afford some crazy economic blowup or toy "depression" that would keep their Lego's valued at retail or slightly less for the next 4 years, and that could really hurt some people who don't make alot of money yet are buying as many of the big sets as they can.

I know you mean as I have myself warned others of the dangers of going into debt buying Lego and what have you, but like others said no one is forcing anyone into anything and if people are feeling pressured buying what they can't afford due to online peer pressure then they have have to deal with the consequences

"those who own 20-30 of these or more start offloading these as prices near 800 or 900"

I believe this will happen.

So I will keep my two lone SSD for another 5 years or so ...

no way big investors sell at those low prices. I figure when it hits 1500 i might get the itch. Maybe sell a few. The longer the hold on a set like this the better. The one derivitive is the new movie. May cause artificial short term demand that would justify selling some.

no way big investors sell at those low prices. I figure when it hits 1500 i might get the itch. Maybe sell a few. The longer the hold on a set like this the better. The one derivitive is the new movie. May cause artificial short term demand that would justify selling some.

I agree. Hold for 2 years. My x3 10179s are holding well and I expect 10 of these going into a long term hold for me will allow me to offload one of the Falcons.

I'm betting they pay taxes on all that income also right... that's why those marginal returns are so lucrative.

I know some of the folks who run the vegetable stands will go early in the morning and pick-up the produce, setup the stand and then go golfing or work around the house all day.  All while they are paying a high school kid on break $50 a day to sit there and sell everything.  These guys usually bring in $500+ a day cash.  I know the corn alone is purchased for like a $1.50 a dozen and they sell it for like $5.00 a dozen.

Yes Ed, a friend of mine owned a car wash and then ran a produce stand out front.

If they live check to check or aren't even working full time they better pray more aren't dumped on the market as time goes on and people are still buying these even at $800+ which hasn't been reached yet.  Many larger sets post 2010 aren't selling at high dollar amounts over retail cost even 4 years later yet some of the retired smaller sets have more than doubled in value. If those who own 20-30 of these or more start offloading these as prices near 800 or 900 it could take much longer to sell even one and the supply stays up while everyone hopes the demand stays up.

Your "glass is half full" discussion depends upon LEGO releasing more of these sets...which is always possible.  It's my opinion this set is done in the US and soon everywhere else from what I've heard and seen.  For arguments sake, let's say it is retired.  You have the perfect storm coming for STAR WARS LEGO sets with the new movies coming out.  You will not see another Star Destroyer or Super Star Destroyer released for a long long time in UCS form...Why?  Because you have the Slave I coming out in a few months, which will fill another UCS slot withe the R2-D2, X-Wing and Sandcrawler still in production.  This should hold you over until late 2015 when the new SW movies hit the screens.  Along with the new movie, you will get NEW ships, thus new UCS sets.  

Comparing the SSD to other "large" sets is not a fair one IMO.  The SSD is an iconic set.  Only the 10030 and 10179 matches it's size and display attributes.  I see the future value of the SSD very similar to the 10030...and in a much shorter time.  If the set retires now, $1500 is not out of the question Christmas of 2015.  That is how special this set is, along with the added interest of the new STAR WARS movies thrown in as a multiplier.  Am I bullish on this set...you're damn right.  If things go right, there will be many happy people who took a chance.  There will also be mad people who didn't, but that is a bonus to those who did.  The $400 price tag weeded out the people with limited budgets, which could be a huge benefit to those with deeper pockets.

Everyone needs to make their own investment decisions.  Discussions here are just that...discussions.  There is nothing guaranteed or written in stone.  My vision of where this set is heading can be derailed if LEGO releases more SSDs or there is a worldwide economic meltdown for example.  If a person cannot pay their mortgage and food bills, they should not buy any LEGO set as an investment.  Not one.  Pay your bills and feed your family first.  This is a business/hobby for people with extra discretionary income.  But for those who have some extra cash laying around, this set will reward you better than any available LEGO set on the market or recently retired.  Just my 2 cents...

• Like 6

I know some of the folks who run the vegetable stands will go early in the morning and pick-up the produce, setup the stand and then go golfing or work around the house all day.  All while they are paying a high school kid on break $50 a day to sit there and sell everything.  These guys usually bring in $500+ a day cash.  I know the corn alone is purchased for like a $1.50 a dozen and they sell it for like $5.00 a dozen.

Yes Ed, a friend of mine owned a car wash and then ran a produce stand out front.

We had a hot dog stand once...

• Like 1

It's like the old saying back when cash was used 95% of time, "only gamble with money you can afford to lose. The saying still holds up today even in the age of electronic spending.

Like Ed said, a perfect storm is coming that many Lego investors have no idea how big it will be. The iconic sets will do great.

Star Wars is going to take over pretty much everything for the 5th time since 1977!

Oh my, maybe Ed will even sell something in 2015 or early 2016