10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Oh, I got that he ordered from the US and figured he may live close (I am 90 minutes away, so I would never order 1 thing, it's not worth it).

But I was looking at the value of

$400 (US retail) x US sales tax (his 9%) x exchange rate (10%) which equals $479.60

Retail in Canada is $499.99 and (my assumption) would be paying tax bringing it back) which would mean he would save only $20.39

However, if he's saving $65 in tax by not declaring or not being challenged, then it makes sense if he is close (another variable)

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

If this was available in Canada, it's not worth getting it in the US. Savings of chump change and a waste of time driving. Mind boggling how Canadians choose money over time. 90 minutes did you say? Is that one way or two way? If 90+90, I'd laugh at that. It's like me going from Baltimore to NYC just to land a clearance item at the lego store to save $50. Forget it unless I buy boat loads. Don't forget gas. 90 min drive will eat up $40 from your tank.

In the end, I would have saved $80. I think state tax is approx. 9% and my gst/pst is 12%. On such an expensive set I think it's worth the trouble, especially since I literally live a 5 minute drive from the US border and I can't remember the last time I've been sent in to pay duty even when I'm truthful with the amount that I have spent shopping in one day. The reason why I thought I was free and clear is everything went through on the website and finalized. I would have figured they wouldn't let me complete the purchase if the shipping/billing address didn't jive. This is a hard one to swallow givin' the sets circumstances.

So you didn't factor in storage and maybe border lineups. How often do you do this? A savings of a whopping $20-$40? If my math serves me correct, our currency to yours isn't one to one. With the rising USD, you might bite the dust on this. And you might want to see the type of credit card you use. It might ding anothe 2-3% on exchange. If you bought with lego CA, you actually tack on more VIP points. Something to think about. I think the best way to do this is to buy a set that is steeply discounted, not the SSD. Get the mkII crane for $145 on a big sale instead.

So you didn't factor in storage and maybe border lineups. How often do you do this? A savings of a whopping $20-$40? If my math serves me correct, our currency to yours isn't one to one. With the rising USD, you might bite the dust on this. And you might want to see the type of credit card you use. It might ding anothe 2-3% on exchange. If you bought with lego CA, you actually tack on more VIP points. Something to think about. I think the best way to do this is to buy a set that is steeply discounted, not the SSD. Get the mkII crane for $145 on a big sale instead.

It would have been an $80 dollar savings. Also I'm a 5min drive to the border and the freight company is right on the other side so I could walk across by passing any line up.

It would have been an $80 dollar savings. Also I'm a 5min drive to the border and the freight company is right on the other side so I could walk across by passing any line up.

Just remember that if you buy from the US, if our currency goes up, you'll feel the burn. I'm looking to load up some T1 campers and Sopwith when I head to Vancouver later this year and will do the same in Montreal if we see 0.85 to CAD. The math does add up for me that it is now getting cheap in Canada. Also got my eyes on the fairground mixer. I remember they hey day when my friends head to Canada to load up on toys and goods when it was 0.75 to CAD.

Just remember that if you buy from the US, if our currency goes up, you'll feel the burn. I'm looking to load up some T1 campers and Sopwith when I head to Vancouver later this year and will do the same in Montreal if we see 0.85 to CAD. The math does add up for me that it is now getting cheap in Canada. Also got my eyes on the fairground mixer. I remember they hey day when my friends head to Canada to load up on toys and goods when it was 0.75 to CAD.

Yes, anything more than a 10% differential isn't worth it, especially on smaller ticket items.
  • Like 1

Yes, anything more than a 10% differential isn't worth it, especially on smaller ticket items.

I did the math and the Simpsons house and Parisian restaurant are worth a look buying in Canada. When our USD moves another 5 pennies up, I'll be shopping up north. The SSD is no different. More VIP points up north on the purchase. Lets see if the SSD resurface later in the year and we can revisit the numbers.

I used to collect the Shell promo sets, but honestly this is not a good partnership for Lego.  Shell has an abysmal environmental record all over the world, not just in the Arctic, and it makes good business sense for a toy company to try and avoid this sort of controversy.  If you're selling toys, you want people to associate your product with happy, playful images, not leaking pipelines or sea birds coated in crude oil.  It reminds me a little of the Jabba's Palace controversy last Spring, where some German group representing muslims of Turkish dissent said the set was bad because it looked like a mosque in Istanbul (fun fact: before Istanbul was conquered by the Ottoman Empire, back when it was named Constantinople, the "mosque" in question was in fact a church).  The funny thing is, they were right.  Of course, that's because the source material, the images of Jabba's Palace from RotJ, also looked like the building in question.  Anyway, if I were running Lego, I'd steer clear of anything that gets people so riled up.

• Like 1