10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

As a note, I agree with you completely.  I think long term it will go much higher.  When I sold my 2 for $600 free ship they almost instantly flipped.

In my case, my inventory valuations allow me to keep long term what I had less 2, so I sold the 2 damaged ones as I am a box purist.

There might be folks with only enough budget to hold 10, but they might flip 10 to pay for half of their stash or invest in other sets with the profits.  Don't nit pick over profit calculations, it's really just an observation.

I think you could safely say that the ramp up in price from $400 to $600 on eBay for the SSD (not including shipping) between April and June was the fastest annualized rate of return the set will ever see.  So if funds or space are very limited, it would make sense to sell the SSD's now and put the proceeds into something like GE (if you can find it at MSRP) that is likely EOL or soon to be so.  But if funds or space are not especially limited, then from a time perspective (that is, time spent listing, packing, and shipping the set) holding the SSD's as an investment likely makes sense (in that the set will probably, based on the performance of past Star Wars UCS sets, appreciate considerably faster than inflation, and quite possibly beat alternative investments like stocks given the current ~5% earnings yield on the S & P).

There might be folks with only enough budget to hold 10, but they might flip 10 to pay for half of their stash or invest in other sets with the profits.  Don't nit pick over profit calculations, it's really just an observation.

Exciter1 I agree with you.  Actually I only have 4. The 4 I have now are mint box.  I sold the 2 for the quick cash for investing, and my toy portfolio is fairly diverse and outside Lego's as well.  No negativity intended in my comments.

Exciter1 I agree with you.  Actually I only have 4. The 4 I have now are mint box.  I sold the 2 for the quick cash for investing, and my toy portfolio is fairly diverse and outside Lego's as well.  No negativity intended in my comments.

I knew I should have clarified my "nit pick" statement.  That wasn't pointed towards you, but I know folks like to point out X amount of profit isn't half, what about shipping, EBay fees, etc.  It was just a general statement meaning people flip for many reasons.

For arguments sake, let's say the SSD is done in the US right now. If that is the case, the SSD will easily break the $1000 mark by XMAS of 2015 IMO....and I am being conservative. With the new movie coming and SW fanatics running around looking to buy all sorts of memorabilia, this is a perfect storm for this LEGO set in particular.

I could also make the case for the 10179 being the first $4000 LEGO set during he same time period if LEGO releases a cheesier version of the Falcon for the upcoming movie.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

For arguments sake, let's say the SSD is done in the US right now. If that is the case, the SSD will easily break the $1000 mark by XMAS of 2015 IMO....and I am being conservative. With the new movie coming and SW fanatics running around looking to buy all sorts of memorabilia, this is a perfect storm for this LEGO set in particular.

I could also make the case for the 10179 being the first $4000 LEGO set during he same time period if LEGO releases a cheesier version of the Falcon for the upcoming movie.

Yeah, I am really tempted to get used MF 10179...  I bet I can display it for a few months and probably still be in the money selling it late 2015...

• Like 1

I bought 2 SSDs from Target two weeks ago for $499 each.  I took them back to Target today to see if they would price match Walmart.com and they said yes.  They allowed me to return both and then allowed me to repurchase for $399 each.  Woohoo.  

Also Target at Tanforan San Bruno CA had two more 70404 Castles for $15.04 each, bought both.  

You are lucky.  I tried that and they told me NO! First they couldn't price match an out of stock item, 2nd since I bought it on target.com, i would have to talk to them about a price match.  Double whammy!

You are lucky.  I tried that and they told me NO! First they couldn't price match an out of stock item, 2nd since I bought it on target.com, i would have to talk to them about a price match.  Double whammy!

Yes, please don't discuss ghost price matching, if this is what's being implied. Thanks

Dudes, I need one or two.  Lots to trade, including a 41999 as part of a deal.  I tried responding to the new trade section but it seems to be getting little traffic.

Yeah, I'm guessing you'd have to over pay for that in a trade.  Plus, shipping :(

Where have you been since 2011 ?  :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm guessing you'd have to over pay for that in a trade.  Plus, shipping :(

Where have you been since 2011 ?   :)

Just crushing weights and babes...wait that's a different member.

I guess I just slept on this one, I honestly thought it would come back but now I'm not so sure.

Just crushing weights and babes...wait that's a different member.

I guess I just slept on this one, I honestly thought it would come back but now I'm not so sure.

If you're just looking for one to build there's a few on bricklink under $600.  If it's truly gone it's only going to get more expensive.

Just because the UK stock is available (and probably will be for several more months) is no indication that the US supplies will return. They are different markets. Even LEGO can't/won't change that no matter how well US sales are compared to Europe. If the end is up in the US, it really is up so don't compare the markets. It makes no sense.

Simples

Nothing in LEGO is isolated. Yes US vs UK markets are different, even UK vs mainland EU are very different AFIK, but that does not make No More Monkeys point less valid. 

I don't have the data in hand to back up this but I am pretty sure there has been some redistribution of important sets in the pasts among the players above. The last example that comes to mind was the 41999 4X4 Crawler Exclusive Edition. I am pretty sure one of the last waves available in the US was from stock originally for EU. Maybe not the very last wave since there were also some re-boxed sets that came back at the very end.  

Nothing in LEGO is isolated. Yes US vs UK markets are different, even UK vs mainland EU are very different AFIK, but that does not make No More Monkeys point less valid. 

I don't have the data in hand to back up this but I am pretty sure there has been some redistribution of important sets in the pasts among the players above. The last example that comes to mind was the 41999 4X4 Crawler Exclusive Edition. I am pretty sure one of the last waves available in the US was from stock originally for EU. Maybe not the very last wave since there were also some re-boxed sets that came back at the very end.  

Sorry I'm not making a comment on anyone's theories. I am only trying to add to it I'm basing my theory that if it is going EOL then LEGO would not bother repackaging EU stock just to fulfill US demand as I reckon it is selling well enough here. If was lagging in the UK/EU then maybe LEGO would change tactics but I doubt it. But in saying that, what do I know.

No one really knows if the SSD was a good or bad seller in the US or abroad. Just because a handful of sets have sold out quickly over the past month or two really gives us little information as to its popularity over the past three years.