10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Yeah sorry ed, I just wanted to say something since that wasn't fair to the other members in the thread

No biggie. Price matching stories always brings out the worst in people. While I am not a fan of it, I cannot blame people for trying to save some of their hard earned cash and asking a store to price match. All they can do is say no....

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

No biggie. Price matching stories always brings out the worst in people. While I am not a fan of it, I cannot blame people for trying to save some of their hard earned cash and asking a store to price match. All they can do is say no....

Yeah I agree, But I think it was wrong of target to price bump it to $500 to begin with, to me a store should stick to msrp and not charge a penny more.

Yeah I agree, I think it was wrong of target to price bump it to $500 to begin with, to me a store should stick to msrp and not charge a penny more.

I don't understand the ethical high horse some people claim to hold regarding "price matching" yet they will use coupons that aren't meant to be used for discounts on specific items to get prices you can't get without violating those coupons policies which has been discussed all over these forums.  Either way, price-matching is encouraged is allowed by many stores and sometimes encouraged because they want to keep business rather than having a return if a price is cheaper.  There is nothing wrong about operating within an allowed company policy.  On the other hand, there is an ethical gray area being broached when a company like Target increases the price of a "kids toy" by $100 when the stock seems to be low.  People could complain that they are price-gouging and while it's fair for them to charge what they want it still could be considered gouging. 

Either way though, owning new in box unopened items and having return receipts that allow a 90 day hold and return means that all purchasers are well within their rights to ask for a price-match to a different company, and if it's not offered they can return that item free and clear with a good conscience.  In fact recently lost thousands of RedCard members and other's data to information thieves and offered little more than some cheap credit monitoring and nothing else without as much as an apology to thousands of shoppers so they are probably worrying more about keeping customers than allowing them to shop at other stores.  

And I fully expect to get my few thousand in super star destroyers price-matched, simply because they want to keep my business and won't be quick to turn down a huge sale.  If they do turn it down, I just have more money to purchase GE's or VW's etc. when they come back in stock at Lego S&**** in the upcoming months(easier to ship and store).  Not to mention not having a burden of a huge expensive set I will have to sell one day, so it's not a big deal for an investor like me.  I'm not quick to take advantage of price-policies or special coupon sales like some on this site, I don't have the time(work 40+ hours a week) or the ability to track stores because this is a short term 3-4 year investment for me, but with a purchase this large and an opportunity to recoup $500 in sets,... myself and anyone else who purchased from Target at $500 would be somewhat foolish not to attempt it considering Walmart is still selling them ocassionally at 400 and Lego did not put up the retired label yet.

I don't understand the ethical high horse some people claim to hold regarding "price matching" yet they will use coupons that aren't meant to be used for discounts on specific items to get prices you can't get without violating those coupons policies which has been discussed all over these forums. Either way, price-matching is encouraged is allowed by many stores and sometimes encouraged because they want to keep business rather than having a return if a price is cheaper. There is nothing wrong about operating within an allowed company policy. On the other hand, there is an ethical gray area being broached when a company like Target increases the price of a "kids toy" by $100 when the stock seems to be low. People could complain that they are price-gouging and while it's fair for them to charge what they want it still could be considered gouging.

Either way though, owning new in box unopened items and having return receipts that allow a 90 day hold and return means that all purchasers are well within their rights to ask for a price-match to a different company, and if it's not offered they can return that item free and clear with a good conscience. In fact recently lost thousands of RedCard members and other's data to information thieves and offered little more than some cheap credit monitoring and nothing else without as much as an apology to thousands of shoppers so they are probably worrying more about keeping customers than allowing them to shop at other stores.

And I fully expect to get my few thousand in super star destroyers price-matched, simply because they want to keep my business and won't be quick to turn down a huge sale. If they do turn it down, I just have more money to purchase GE's or VW's etc. when they come back in stock at Lego S&H in the upcoming months(easier to ship and store). Not to mention not having a burden of a huge expensive set I will have to sell one day, so it's not a big deal for an investor like me. I'm not quick to take advantage of price-policies or special coupon sales like some on this site, I don't have the time(work 40+ hours a week) or the ability to track stores because this is a short term 3-4 year investment for me, but with a purchase this large and an opportunity to recoup $500 in sets,... myself and anyone else who purchased from Target at $500 would be somewhat foolish not to attempt it considering Walmart is still selling them ocassionally at 400 and Lego did not put up the retired label yet.

I'm not a big fan of coupon stacking either, but once again, if a store allows it, how can you argue the point? I think what bothers me is my own psychotic internal dilemma on similar matters. It really has nothing to do with others, it is a battle within my psyche as to whether I should open my mouth to save money or possibly waste time and/or embarrass myself. It is not illegal, so what's the big deal you say? In my distorted view of the world, I find such methods tacky. This coming from a man who wants a new pair of orange Jordan XX9 sneakers come September 6th for $225. That is tacky. :-)

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of coupon stacking either, but once again, if a store allows it, how can you argue the point? I think what bothers me is my own psychotic internal dilemma on similar matters. It really has nothing to do with others, it is a battle within my psyche as to whether I should open my mouth to save money or possibly waste time and/or embarrass myself. It is not illegal, so what's the big deal you say? In my distorted view of the world, I find such methods tacky. This coming from a man who wants a new pair of orange Jordan XX9 sneakers come September 6th for $225. That is tacky. :-)

Those shoes would match your eyes perfectly.

Double posting ed. Oh the irony ????

wait a bit and they will sell for cheaper.

I got a pair of XX8 last month for $100.

what happened to the super star destroyer? did it vanished ? or got vanquished by the god users of the forum!

OK here's an SSD topic - I sold two on ebay for slightly under $600 free shipping.  I am thrilled both sales went to people within 1-2 states of me and not across the country.  I bought 4 from Legoland with discount, 2 arrived great shape. 2 kinks & dents.  Bundled with my others I didn't want to keep that many of them in spreading my risk, so selling the 2 kinks & dents along with some TC-4's paid for 1 of the other 2 I picked up from Legoland.  (reasonable amount of TC-4's, i was not lucky like the people that got 10, 20 or 30 of them).

You can flip these Jordans for some serious cash, but I like to wear them. I wonder if there are buying restrictions?

I still have spare retro V and VI Jordans in the closet for when my current pairs are too worn.

wait a bit and they will sell for cheaper.

I got a pair of XX8 last month for $100.

Size 15 is never left by the rime there are any sales it seems.

In 118 pages of this thread, has anyone put down what they *think* the SSD will spike to in a few years, percentage wise? "Ceilings", or other sets to look at as potential examples of what's to come? I didn't find anything like that in my searches. Of course, these estimations and thoughts change from person to person, but I'm curious to see what those who have been in this game longer than I have think.

Currently in a situation where I'm borderline considering offloading the SSD from my inventory, but I don't have any sort of solid numerical estimation as to what opportunity cost that decision will cost me.

In 118 pages of this thread, has anyone put down what they *think* the SSD will spike to in a few years, percentage wise? "Ceilings", or other sets to look at as potential examples of what's to come? I didn't find anything like that in my searches. Of course, these estimations and thoughts change from person to person, but I'm curious to see what those who have been in this game longer than I have think.

Currently in a situation where I'm borderline considering offloading the SSD from my inventory, but I don't have any sort of solid numerical estimation as to what opportunity cost that decision will cost me.

Predicting ceilings is really hard, even if a set has been EOL for a couple years.  I would expect the SSD to remain at or under $700, inclusive of shipping, until at least the end of the year.  For my own future reference, I plan on closely following SSD performance as the new SD becomes widely available.  That said, if I had any SSD sets (which I don't), I would not be looking to sell so soon after Target.com unloaded a bunch at $499.  I think it's hard to argue with at least waiting until Christmas of this year, unless you have something pressing to do with the cash, like pay off a 20% interest credit card balance.

Have you read all 118 pages? Look at the UCS them ROR. Apply that average to this set on an annualized basis and sell when your price target is reached. What anyone else thinks about price is irrelevant, as no one knows. I am amazed at the number of people on this board willing to sell this at $600.00 including shipping. This reinforces to me the choice of holding long term. Supply and demand. As long as people are willing to accept 1 years ucs cagr on this set prices will stay where they are. Once those sellers are flushed out at these prices, long term holders will be richly rewarded. Less supply will equal substantially higher prices. Of course that is my opinion and irrelevant to your plan and goals.

Have you read all 118 pages? Look at the UCS them ROR. Apply that average to this set on an annualized basis and sell when your price target is reached. What anyone else thinks about price is irrelevant, as no one knows. I am amazed at the number of people on this board willing to sell this at $600.00 including shipping. This reinforces to me the choice of holding long term. Supply and demand. As long as people are willing to accept 1 years ucs cagr on this set prices will stay where they are. Once those sellers are flushed out at these prices, long term holders will be richly rewarded. Less supply will equal substantially higher prices. Of course that is my opinion and irrelevant to your plan and goals.

As a note, I agree with you completely.  I think long term it will go much higher.  When I sold my 2 for $600 free ship they almost instantly flipped.

In my case, my inventory valuations allow me to keep long term what I had less 2, so I sold the 2 damaged ones as I am a box purist.