10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

For all pratical purposes , in my opinion, this set is done. With the introduction of the sand crawler and the anticipated release of Slave I something gotta give . Like ED stated, most retailers haven't had any signification stock on this set in over 2 months and while we might see a final push towards the end of the year, the fat lady is about to conclude her song and what a song it is .

I wonder if they just removed it so they don't have to mark it retired etc. until they are ready (4th quarter).  Seems odd to just be gone.   This happened briefly back in late april I believe, but it came back to at least visible in 1 day (though still sold out).

With the introduction of the sand crawler and the anticipated release of Slave I something gotta give .

Exactly.  Most signs point to this set being done.  With the Death Star, SSD, R2, X-Wing, Ewok Village, Sandcrawler, and soon the Slave 1 LEGO has too many Star Wars UCS sets to support.  Now maybe they could keep online sales going for a while, but LEGO retail stores just can't find room for that many big box sets in addition to the wide variety of other exclusive sets and themes they sell.  Not to mention that there are probably more Star Wars UCS planned for 2015.  As bold-arrow said, something's gotta give.

"The level of activity that we see today..., I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

**** Cheney - Larry King Live. interview (June 20, 2005)

This has also been the main theme of discussion here for the past few months regarding the SSD. Despite Lego's site now pretending the set never existed and all the box seals that indicate manufacture dates emulating those of the Lost Ark of the Covenants, has there been any official designation of this as a retired set?

Just asking, because there are a TON of these on eBay right now...

Just for information guys:

The lego site here in Germany lists the SSD still as "in stock". At least it is tagged "rate" (in German "selten").

By the way, availability of sets differ often between the USA (Biggest Lego market) and Germany (2nd biggest, I think). For example, I remember some months ago a fuss here on this site about the orc forges retiring. My local supermarket still has quite a few on stock, not even marked down, i. e. at full retail price. (I hover around them from time to time).

All right, boys and girls...

Mods, feel free to move it to "what I heard from lego employee today", but here it is - the answer from Lego CS to my "where the F is the listing for 10221" question.

Of course I am going to ask them how come it is still available in Europe with limit 5

Of course I am going to ask them why other retired sets still retain the product page.

And yes, it is indeed funny how they don't mention ebay

Ta-daaa

"Dear XXXXXXX, Thanks for getting in touch with us. I

• Like 2

I don't want to quote your entire post NMM, but like I said before , I feel there is an air of truth in that email. But I am also curious as to why they haven't canceled the backordered items from last week if they are not expecting any more, unless they are shifting inventory across the pond for the holiday season since this will def sell better in the land of Uncle Sam

Reply to No More Monkeys:

Wow that is nice that they refer to BL. I have heard of LEGO CS referring to BL for missing pieces and the such but never for retired sets. 

Referring to Brickset is not that surprising since nothing actually is sold there it is more a data bank than anything, even their forum comes second to the data IMHO (discovered BS years and years ago when searching for info about monorail or something old my memory could be failing but did not find the forum until 1 year after), but on the other hand Brickset itself refers mostly to ebay and secondarily to Amazon...

The real shocker to me is why mention Amazon directly on the email? Of all places where the secondary market reaches the highest prices (since sellers pay higher fees) is Amazon, so it is there where the late buyer pays more above MSRP for the retired sets, and more likely to be upset and complain to LEGO.

Next reply from LEGO: Sorry X set is retired but go to www.brickpicker.com where you can get the most up to date speculation on possibly retired sets, and hope you don't miss the boat next time.    

• Like 1

NMM - I received an email like that when I asked if the Orc Forge was coming back.  This was after a couple of "out of stock' to "in stock" to "call for availability" cycles.  I just wanted more because I was army building orcs with the white hand armor and people were buying up the rest of the set on bricklink without figs at a pretty steady pace.  It didn't come back in stock and retired shortly afterward so probably a grain of truth to it.

And yes, I did feel the threat behind "You never know, some of the old treasures might make a comeback!" phrase... it is just oozing with 10179 re-release stench

I also have a feeling that once in the future they will remake 10179. First of all, the development costs are already made. Second, sales of a new 10179 will probably be huge and gives a lot of starwars fans a second chance in acquiring this set. Third, with a re-release they will cause a drop in re-sell prices in the secondary market, hurting those hated re-sellers. Overall, it will be an easy buck for Lego to remake this set.

For now, I think it is wise to buy the remaining SSD's here in Europe. With some of them still at a discount, it will probably be a very profitable buy. I ordered yesterday an extra one for 340 euro and will buy another one in the weekend.

How is anyone getting these at discount in the EU? I am presuming that stock is available from mainland online shops but I wouldn't know where to look in the UK.

Google?

I have a basket of 6 sites that I check daily for prices. 2 of them already did a nice promo on SSD the last 6 months.