10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Makes me believe even more in SSD and DS as premium investments.  If they are shrinking boxes there may not be a box larger than those ever produced again, there is something pretty awesome about having boxes of those size sitting on your shelf as a collector.  It may be true it isn't the size of the packaging that matters it is what is in the inside that counts, but everyone wants a huge package.

• Like 4

Size matters...I like the boxes big, but as I run out of storage space, smaller boxes would be appreciated. Really, many boxes can be cut in half. I would like to see improved box quality as well to match Architecture box makeup and thickness.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 2

I personally think the sea cow box is a tad smaller.......that's not based on science or anything though.

SSD:                 24.0 x 20.0 x 7.5 inches

DS:                   23.2 x 19.8 x 6.9 inches

Sandcrawler:    22.9 x 18.9 x 6.7 inches

Sea Cow:         22.9 x 18.9 x 4.9 inches

• Like 1

I like big boxes and I cannot lie.  You other pickers can't deny.

When the truck arrives at my itty bitty place, and there's a big box in my face...

You get sprung, wanna pull out your dime. 'Cause you noticed that box is prime...

Deep in the seals it's wearing. Factory tight and I can't stop staring.
  • Like 2

I like the smaller boxes but I don't see how some of them can get smaller. I just opened the sea cow yesterday and its packed in there. I have never opened a SSD (despite buying 10 lol) I imagine it's stuffed pretty good.

I had a box from TRU that looked like it dated Chris Brown, so I figured I'd pop the seals and put it together. After all, I should make enough selling the MISB units I still have to pay for this one, and even if I decide to sell it the used model will still pull what I paid in retail. But I digress...

There was a fair portion of space that could be eliminated internally, but if they do so they should also thicken the outer box, which would counter the smaller box size. It was packaged into 3 smaller, inner boxes (okay, 4 if you count the one the manual was in). With all the bags being numbered, they could have just put it all in the big outer box and saved quite a bit of space. I would say that if it were packed according to content, the outer box could have been up to 20% smaller. That said, there is quite a bit of childish glee popping open a box that size to play with the toys.

• Like 3

"The level of activity that we see today..., I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

**** Cheney - Larry King Live. interview (June 20, 2005)

This has also been the main theme of discussion here for the past few months regarding the SSD. Despite Lego's site now pretending the set never existed and all the box seals that indicate manufacture dates emulating those of the Lost Ark of the Covenants, has there been any official designation of this as a retired set?

Just asking, because there are a TON of these on eBay right now...

"The level of activity that we see today..., I think, will clearly decline. I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."

Dick Cheney - Larry King Live. interview (June 20, 2005)

This has also been the main theme of discussion here for the past few months regarding the SSD. Despite Lego's site now pretending the set never existed and all the box seals that indicate manufacture dates emulating those of the Lost Ark of the Covenants, has there been any official designation of this as a retired set?

Just asking, because there are a TON of these on eBay right now...

With all due respect, what does a statement from Dick Cheney have to do about the SSD possibly being retired?  It's not that complicated.  I don't think LEGO pretends to make a set disappear.  It is very common for retired sets to just vanish from the LEGO S@H site.  Probably half of the most recently retired sets are not listed, but nobody gives a hoot.  The SSD will retire, just like every other LEGO set.  Is now the time?  Yes, in my opinion.  Rumors, inside info, LEGO activity/inactivity, retailer's inventories, Target prices, LEGO S@H listings(lack of),etc...all point to a set that is EOL.  Many of us have seen this happen to other sets, so why would it be any different now?