10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

Who said it is done? Broken link is not an indication...

Yeah! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...

(apologies to anyone who may be Deutsche and hasn't seen 'Animal House'...)

I doubt the beast has breathed its last - there is a row missing in a database table somewhere. Searching the Lego site, it doesn't even register that 10221 is a valid set ID. Someone most likely tried to update a table and botched the SQL. I would love for this set to retire and start making me money, but it's not going to vaporize without an agonized, intermittent in & out of stock series of death throes.

When it was recently flirting with availability, did it have the 'Retiring Soon' banner on it? How many "Retiring Soon" sets have been listed on LEGO Shop at Home for months while also being sold out? SSD will return, if only to taunt everyone who doesn't have it. Four months as sold out / retiring soon, and out the door with the new year.

All this (long-winded post) being said, I doubt there is another production run and I believe it goes the way of the dinosaur here stateside.

Yeah! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...

(apologies to anyone who may be Deutsche and hasn't seen 'Animal House'...)

I doubt the beast has breathed its last - there is a row missing in a database table somewhere. Searching the Lego site, it doesn't even register that 10221 is a valid set ID. Someone most likely tried to update a table and botched the SQL. I would love for this set to retire and start making me money, but it's not going to vaporize without an agonized, intermittent in & out of stock series of death throes.

When it was recently flirting with availability, did it have the 'Retiring Soon' banner on it? How many "Retiring Soon" sets have been listed on LEGO Shop at Home for months while also being sold out? SSD will return, if only to taunt everyone who doesn't have it. Four months as sold out / retiring soon, and out the door with the new year.

All this (long-winded post) being said, I doubt there is another production run and I believe it goes the way of the dinosaur here stateside.

"retiring soon" is a marketing ploy to move merchandise. Friends Beauty Shop still at "Sold Out" with no "retiring soon"

It has been in and out since may for those paying attention. Went to sold out for star wars event. This eas the final death roll. It is now august 3 months of stock in amd out, same for DS and GE they are just a few months behind. I'll be happy to sell to anyone that missed out for $1k. I'll throw shipping in for free.

• Like 1

It has been in and out since may for those paying attention. Went to sold out for star wars event. This eas the final death roll. It is now august 3 months of stock in amd out, same for DS and GE they are just a few months behind. I'll be happy to sell to anyone that missed out for $1k. I'll throw shipping in for free.

Complete absence of the listing is anomaly, since all retired sets usually have product pages

I think I'm good, it is a little tempting though with the free shipping. Just thought I remembered seeing it last night, didn't realize it was gone until now. It's been a little tough keeping up with all the emails/posts today. That exo-suit thread has been a little nuts.

Complete absence of the listing is anomaly, since all retired sets usually have product pages

iI was messing around and did a search on LEGO S@H for retired products and 511 sets came up dating back to the Taj Mahal days. I think more than 511 sets retired since then, but if am not going to go through them to check to look for missing sets. Maybe some just slip through the cracks.

iI was messing around and did a search on LEGO LEGO Shop at Home for retired products and 511 sets came up dating back to the Taj Mahal days. I think more than 511 sets retired since then, but if am not going to go through them to check to look for missing sets. Maybe some just slip through the cracks.

I find it strange how some of the larger exclusives are still listed and others are not. Seems random, but more seem to be missing than are listed.

BTW, I noticed the LEGO Shop at Home listing for SSD was broken last night before going to bed. At the time, searching for it by name or number came up with a blank listing with no info in the search results. Now a search returns nothing. Seems a bit methodical the way it has been delisted, but probably just wishful thinking more than anything. I'm not worried, it's gotta go by 2015 anyway to conform to their new big-ass-box box policy announced a while back.. lol

Sooooo, strolled into my local LEGOLAND discovery center today (Chicago burbs) to pick up some exo suits.  Unfortunately no exo suits but lo and behold a lone SSD on the shelf!  19R4 code.  I went to pay and flashed my annual pass for 10% off.  The cashier said "oh I'm sorry I'm pretty sure this is one of the sets that we cannot discount we got a memo from Lego."  He pulled out a list and sure enough it was on there.  I wasn't able to see the whole list but I saw sopwith camel and several other exclusives.  It was a pretty long list so I'm assuming it is a list of all exclusives and the 10% discount is over unless you get a friendly cashier.  Got my moneys worth of discounts prior to this new rule on exclusives but boooo hiss.  There goes one benefit of shopping at legolands. 

Don't even know if it's worth mentioning, but visiting my local LEGO store really gave me a visual indication of exactly why they would choose to retire the SSD - there is *literally* no room on the shelves left. All the new Star Wars sets, and slight expansions of all the surrounding themes really cannot give me an idea as to how they would have ever been a chance to keep these on the shelf...

But I guess there it goes. Perhaps a glitch, but considering how popular the set is and how synonymous it is with "retiring soon" among the community, I can see why they wouldn't want to make waves with a "Retired" label and just let it quietly slip out of sight... after all, I can imagine they would want to minimize their effects on the secondary market as much as possible. Simply going OOS for a period of time sent a mad rush of buyers willing to buy at other retailer's mark-ups - imagine what a "Retired" label would do. They know their customers know of the aftermarket.

• Like 1

For those who've placed orders at LEGO Shop at Home for a backorder, what is the likelihood of your order being cancelled due to unavailability?

i have that happened to only items on sale. not for the regular priced item. they have always shipped "regular priced item." i had to wait for 1-2months for some. recent one that comes to mind for which i had to wait were VW camper(10220), GE(10211), DS(10188). recent one they cancelled were both items that were on sale vampyre hearse and fire helicopter.

I find it strange how some of the larger exclusives are still listed and others are not. Seems random, but more seem to be missing than are listed.

BTW, I noticed the LEGO Shop at Home listing for SSD was broken last night before going to bed. At the time, searching for it by name or number came up with a blank listing with no info in the search results. Now a search returns nothing. Seems a bit methodical the way it has been delisted, but probably just wishful thinking more than anything. I'm not worried, it's gotta go by 2015 anyway to conform to their new big-ass-box box policy announced a while back.. lol

Is there a new Lego "big-ass-box policy"?  Does anyone have a link for this?  It does seem like Lego is moving away from the giant 24x20x6 boxes (ie SSD) and 24x20x4 (every modular up to the Parisian Restaurant), but it would be interesting if this was a formal rule.

Is there a new Lego "big-ass-box policy"?  Does anyone have a link for this?  It does seem like Lego is moving away from the giant 24x20x6 boxes (ie SSD) and 24x20x4 (every modular up to the Parisian Restaurant), but it would be interesting if this was a formal rule.

I haven't put them side-by-side, but the Sandcrawler box is pretty darn huge.