10221 - UCS: Super Star Destroyer

Jeff Mack

SSD  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed SSD's do you have

• 4-5
    • 6-10
    • more than 10
    • I'm Emazers and I built a replica SSD out of sealed SSDs.

cissi, you really should be paying attention to earlier posts :-)  This was already discussed to lengths since the morning   

I have. I was just being quiet. :D

And for some reason, when I read this

Now oos at TRU/FAO. 

I only read in FAO... for some reason TRU just slid through my brain this morning. lol

cissi is too busy running her instock script  :P

But... I don't have to do anything with it now really. :P

Why do you think that it will retire now as the status is still "Temporarily out of stock" ?

As there was the special Star Wars event then it is clear that the current situation is due to this fact and not to possible end of line.

Nevertheless I think my investment in 100 Mars Rovers was better than in 10 of the SSDs ;-)

(But no problem for you in the US as I'm in Europe...) 

Mauro

For what price? Think in europe it is not this good investment as in US. Not that much interest in europe for that mars thing. May i be wrong. ;) Wish you much luck for this.

If you can get the SSD, you could take it. But not many people will pay more than 500 EUR for LEGO Sets. So the 1000

Why do you think that it will retire now as the status is still "Temporarily out of stock" ?

As there was the special Star Wars event then it is clear that the current situation is due to this fact and not to possible end of line.

Nevertheless I think my investment in 100 Mars Rovers was better than in 10 of the SSDs ;-)

(But no problem for you in the US as I'm in Europe...) 

Mauro

I'm also not understanding why everyone is certain it has retired. It may have, but then why is it featured in Lego's latest catalog, Spring 2014? It has a great big giant picture of it on the Star Wars page. 

http://shop.lego.com/catalog/displayCatalog.jsp?id=8040_2ae035f2_f9c3e99e

And it just says "Temporarily Out of Stock", not "Retiring Soon".

Again, it may be gone, but "Temporarilly Out of Stock" and big pictures in the latest catalog make it iffy, in my opinion.

I'm also not understanding why everyone is certain it has retired. It may have, but then why is it featured in Lego's latest catalog, Spring 2014? It has a great big giant picture of it on the Star Wars page.

http://shop.lego.com/catalog/displayCatalog.jsp?id=8040_2ae035f2_f9c3e99e

And it just says "Temporarily Out of Stock", not "Retiring Soon".

Again, it may be gone, but "Temporarilly Out of Stock" and big pictures in the latest catalog make it iffy, in my opinion.

LEGO catalogs are not a good way to judge possible EOL dates. The 41999 was in the Fall catalog and we all know how that turned out. Until LEGO actually writes "retired product" on the set page, I would imagine any set could be produced and sold to the public.

I guess what is convincing most people(myself included) of SSD EOL is the lack of inventory at any retailer, the OOS at LEGO S@H, with no dates for shipment and various other rumors circulating. If this was a CITY set, no body would care and the set would just fade away quietly, but because it is one of the Big Daddies of the LEGO world, people are paying close attention.

Honestly, I hope it comes back into stock. I would like to buy one or two more.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Although my "real" Lego store was out I scored 2 SSDs from the LEGOLAND discovery center.  One was a pretty crap box (large tear near the seals) but figured why not.  I have always avoided the discovery center gift shop but maybe I am stupid for doing so (assumed it was overpriced and knew VIP points was a no go there) but with an annual pass which conveniently  my son already had (glad I brought him with) all purchases are 10% off which is as good as getting VIP points.  Wiped out the sales tax at least (barely--overpriced tax world I live in).

So my advice try some discovery centers/LEGOLAND gift shops...

LEGO catalogs are not a good way to judge possible EOL dates. The 41999 was in the Fall catalog and we all know how that turned out. Until LEGO actually writes "retired product" on the set page, I would imagine any set could be produced and sold to the public.

I guess what is convincing most people(myself included) of SSD EOL is the lack of inventory at any retailer, the OOS at LEGO LEGO Shop at Home, with no dates for shipment and various other rumors circulating. If this was a CITY set, no body would care and the set would just fade away quietly, but because it is one of the Big Daddies of the LEGO world, people are paying close attention.

Honestly, I hope it comes back into stock. I would like to buy one or two more.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Honestly I am beginning to worry that you aren't totally void of the anxiety of a set coming back until you have sold the ones you have of that particular type. Remakes are affecting it now - only a matter of time until Lego starts unretiring sets. lol.

I thought this thread was about the possible retirement of the SSD.

Just to add my thoughts to this discussion:

People who spend 1000 USD or 1000 EURO on a lego set are scarce. Myself for example, I would love to own some of the sets like the UCS MF, Caroussel, etc. But I am not spending so much money on these sets. And my income is way above average. I'd rather concentrate on the sets I can still buy at retail or below. I own a couple of SSD's and if/when they hit 750 euro I am already satisfied and I will (try to) sell half of my inventory already. I will be more than satisfied with a profit of 100%. If I sell half of my inventory of SSD's at that price point my remaining ones will be free. That is how I consider it. 

I thought this thread was about the possible retirement of the SSD.

Just to add my thoughts to this discussion:

People who spend 1000 USD or 1000 EURO on a lego set are scarce. Myself for example, I would love to own some of the sets like the UCS MF, Caroussel, etc. But I am not spending so much money on these sets. And my income is way above average. I'd rather concentrate on the sets I can still buy at retail or below. I own a couple of SSD's and if/when they hit 750 euro I am already satisfied and I will (try to) sell half of my inventory already. I will be more than satisfied with a profit of 100%. If I sell half of my inventory of SSD's at that price point my remaining ones will be free. That is how I consider it. 

Yeah but for 100% profit, you need 20% room or around 120% increase in price minimum.... to break it. due to fees etc.

Yeah but for 100% profit, you need 20% room or around 120% increase in price minimum.... to break it. due to fees etc.

As I said. If it reaches a value of 750 euro on Brickpicker I would have more than 100% profit if I sell for that. I paid 299 Euro each for mine. Sound and Simple. 

Hello guys,

To come back to the topic.

I am difficult to believe it is EOL.

Why ? Because LEGO shop in France still sells it for a delivery in July...

If it was EOL, I don't believe they would let people order it.

I guess there are just waiting for the next production which will be on the market in July...

Sheers,

Yannick

After seeing quite a few threads like this get really derailed i hope this site at some point evolves into two sites. A US/Canada site and a Euro/UK etc. Sight. The markets are not the same and the retiring/supply etc. In these two markets are not even close. People are arguing about things that are meaningless to the point of investing in Lego. I really have a hard time caring what retires in europe and when since it really has little impact on the US/Canada market. It is nice to have an open forum but with the site.getting bigger threads are really getting derailed. For those "investors" who are buying this "luxury" toy for investment but do not beleive in the market to reward the investment, i suggest you move on. You are a monetary loss waiting to happen. I mean no insult but people below any governemnts median wage base are not the target market here. If you do not get that i suggest you move on. This thread is about 10221. Please take the other stuff somewhere else.

• Like 3

The markets are not the same and the retiring/supply etc. In these two markets are not even close.

I can not agree with you. Although the markets differ, they are more similar than different. You probably perceive differences as large beacuse you may be focused solely on the LEGO market. According to your analogy we also should separate Western and Eastern Europe because the market properties differ so much.

I really have a hard time caring what retires in europe and when since it really has little impact on the US/Canada market.

Both sides gets useful information from the other. Looking at US trends alarmed me which sets to invest in and I did not regret it. With a few  exceptions if a set retires at either side it will probably do so on the other, only with a delay. If you don't care you are ignoring useful information. Prices may not have an impact, but LEGO policies and production schedules do.

• Like 1

Honestly I am beginning to worry that you aren't totally void of the anxiety of a set coming back until you have sold the ones you have of that particular type. Remakes are affecting it now - only a matter of time until Lego starts unretiring sets. lol.

There are things in life to have anxiety about. Worrying about a couple of old LEGO sets losing a few dollars in value is not one of them. I doubt these sets will ever lose enough in value be worth less than what I originally paid for them. I don't recommend members to follow my method of never selling sets. To maximize profits, many of my sets should have been sold a long time ago.

Remakes are new opportunities. STAR WARS remakes are welcome. Many older sets that were poorly done originally, are being remade into better sets. I have one old Jabba's Palace, but I have about 10 of the new ones. Bring them on....

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

For what price? Think in europe it is not this good investment as in US. Not that much interest in europe for that mars thing. May i be wrong. ;) Wish you much luck for this.

If you can get the SSD, you could take it. But not many people will pay more than 500 EUR for LEGO Sets. So the 1000