Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

4 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I think my percentage is much lower than that.

I think that this heavily depends on the types of items you sell. If you are selling items that are usually perceived as being "sold by Amazon" or the manufacturer, people wont leave feedback.

I started selling RPG books and 5/20 sales left glowing feedback. Strangely enough this is also an item outlet I've had more success with on Ebay. 

29 minutes ago, brickolodon said:

Amazon sold more online last week than Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Macy's & Apple combined emoji383.png.
http://cnnmon.ie/2gMSBCl
Via #CNNMoneyStream
I do not like it cause monopoly never be good...and amazon will be one of them.

This just reminded me, that I was unable to cancel an order minutes after I placed it & I don't have Prime so it's not like it was being pulled. #IStillHateJeffBezos

Edited by dcdfan

On 12/2/2016 at 7:06 PM, Bold-Arrow said:

so this Toy Planet dude/dudette is reeking havoc across the board on retired lego. undercutting with massive quantities. good for them, bad for me .....off to the complaint thread.

I am seeing another name pop up regularly on many sets I'm selling.  They are lowering the bar across the board and not by just a few pennies.  It's like $5-$10 lower than others.  It sucks.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

I am seeing another name pop up regularly on many sets I'm selling.  They are lowering the bar across the board and not by just a few pennies.  It's like $5-$10 lower than others.  It sucks.

Amen ... atleast TP - not to be confused with toilet paper - parked 130 9493 at $213 instead of $113 ( so much for a RO induced jump to $250 ) 

6 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

Kind of the norm around the holidays these days. I think the holidays about two years ago the volume really started coming into FBA from multiple sellers who were comfortable undercutting by as much as 10% to move inventory quicker. I know it frustrated me quite a bit to see someone so willing to give away 10%, but thats just how it goes. It is the game now, gotta get creative. Sell before they do or after they run out (if they ever do), find a niche, bundle, etc. Most of the time it pays to stay away from the really popular stuff... See SW Advent Calendar this year, Sphero BB8 last year, etc. Unfortunately as the big guys get comfortable with holding retired inventory for longer periods of time it makes things that much harder.

I'm still waiting for the 500 lot of AT-AT's someone was holding on to show up at FBA and knock the price back down to $250 for a couple weeks, kind of thought it would have happened already. 

3 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

2 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Amen ... atleast TP - not to be confused with toilet paper - parked 130 9493 at $213 instead of $113 ( so much for a RO induced jump to $250 ) 

Doing what TP is doing isn't really good for anyone. Yes they will make a fair amount of money, but not very optimally. Putting up insanely large quantities of retired items causes small resellers to undercut you because waiting for 200, 400, 500+ retired items to move is unreasonable. However if someone were to come in with 15-20 items and undercut you, you are more willing to wait it out for the extra cash and thus the price stays high.

When smaller sellers undercut TP they are losing out on maybe 10-20 items. Where TP is forcing the price down for hundreds of there own items.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, landphieran said:

Doing what TP is doing isn't really good for anyone. Yes they will make a fair amount of money, but not very optimally. Putting up insanely large quantities of retired items causes small resellers to undercut you because waiting for 200, 400, 500+ retired items to move is unreasonable. However if someone were to come in with 15-20 items and undercut you, you are more willing to wait it out for the extra cash and thus the price stays high.

When smaller sellers undercut TP they are losing out on maybe 10-20 items. Where TP is forcing the price down for hundreds of there own items.

Truth, 100% agree, but it's just following the narrative of the big guy vs little guy in business. Walmart vs The Little General Store, etc. They've scaled and are much more willing to accept a smaller profit margin. 

• Like 1

I hope to get some opinions about the following situation.

I recently received emails from Amazon stating that a customer would like to return the item because she already had the same set. Apparently, she received the item as a gift from the buyer who actually ordered the set (she was not the buyer). She wanted to return the set and called Amazon about returning the item. She did not want the refund back to the buyer (which I don't know why and according to her, the buyer was her uncle). Amazon then emailed me to initiate the return process. I then communicated whit her that she needed to initiate the return request for me to authorize. That was when I learned that she was not the buyer. So she told me that she had talked to Amazon and Amazon had emailed me and Amazon wanted me to provide the return address and Amazon would be managing the refund to her and paying her the return shipping fee.

I had encountered return request a couple of times in the past and they were pretty straightforward. The buyer initiated the return request, I authorized it and gave them instruction how to ship back and once I received and inspected the returned item, I finalized the refund accordingly. But this one is very different and the weird part is that Amazon is going to take the money from my account to her and she is not even the buyer of the order and also pay her the return shipping fee?

Any experience like this from members who sells through Amazon?

2 minutes ago, tyclin said:

I hope to get some opinions about the following situation.

I recently received emails from Amazon stating that a customer would like to return the item because she already had the same set. Apparently, she received the item as a gift from the buyer who actually ordered the set (she was not the buyer). She wanted to return the set and called Amazon about returning the item. She did not want the refund back to the buyer (which I don't know why and according to her, the buyer was her uncle). Amazon then emailed me to initiate the return process. I then communicated whit her that she needed to initiate the return request for me to authorize. That was when I learned that she was not the buyer. So she told me that she had talked to Amazon and Amazon had emailed me and Amazon wanted me to provide the return address and Amazon would be managing the refund to her and paying her the return shipping fee.

I had encountered return request a couple of times in the past and they were pretty straightforward. The buyer initiated the return request, I authorized it and gave them instruction how to ship back and once I received and inspected the returned item, I finalized the refund accordingly. But this one is very different and the weird part is that Amazon is going to take the money from my account to her and she is not even the buyer of the order and also pay her the return shipping fee?

Any experience like this from members who sells through Amazon?

receiver can request a return and you just have to authorize the return [ with whatever policy you follow ].

when you issue refund apparently it goes to the buyer in the form of Amazon Gift Card. i have seen that happen but afaik there is nothing we[as a seller need to do]. honestly we can't do anything in this. 

receiver usually call amazon and i believe that they handle this from amazon's end before the process is initiated.

On 12/5/2016 at 2:43 PM, Dbroncoboy said:

Truth, 100% agree, but it's just following the narrative of the big guy vs little guy in business. Walmart vs The Little General Store, etc. They've scaled and are much more willing to accept a smaller profit margin. 

Does these big boys having so much inventory also hurt them sometimes....?

Because let's see what happens now that the new 2017 Stars Wars sets images have been leaked.

Toy Planet is deep on two of the refreshes, 75003 A-Wing (170+) and 9496 Desert Skiff (180+). It could get ugly for competitors if they decide they want to sell through everything now before the new sets are released.

27 minutes ago, grackleflint said:

Does these big boys having so much inventory also hurt them sometimes....?

Because let's see what happens now that the new 2017 Stars Wars sets images have been leaked.

Toy Planet is deep on two of the refreshes, 75003 A-Wing (170+) and 9496 Desert Skiff (180+). It could get ugly for competitors if they decide they want to sell through everything now before the new sets are released.

We don't know their cost basis and what else they hold. They are just showing their hand with few sets.

just like BA is showing hands in s2 mixels :)

Having said that its most likely that toyplanet has a source from where these were obtained and I believe these were obtained at fairly deep discount. 

Toyplanet's inventory on mixels from series 3 & series 4 are huge [over 300+]. I haven't looked for other series so either they haven't released their inventory or waiting on something. In other words, someone with 100 cases from Asia pretty much cornered s1 mixels. So we can imagine how Lego production changed within 6 months I.e. By the time s1 retired and and end of year

• Like 1