Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

29 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

What's the dollar threshold for an item for using signature confirmation?

If you use Amazon to purchase the shipping label then signature confirmation is no longer required. If the customer opens a case for non-delivery then Amazon will refund the buyer directly and you won't even see the case. Sig confirmation is categorized as "friction" by Amazon and their goal is to make buying and delivery as frictionless as possible for their customers (who wants to come home from work expecting a package only to find you won;t be getting it because a seller required a sig on delivery). Hence the new policy.

22 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

I would say any amount your not willing to give away if you have bad luck with a buyer. I sold a 10188 recently and am completely convinced had I not required a signature, I would have been giving the item away. That said I may lose my A-Z defense anyway and be giving it away after a lot of trouble.  That said I have not had any major problems with $70 and less items for which I almost never buy signature confirmation.

You would have been better off not getting sig confirmation and buying the label through Amazon. Your scammer was trying to take advantage of the new policy and when you required sig confirmation your scammer was not able to get the item for free. Best to let Amazon pay out of pocket rather than you dealing with a mess. You pay Amazon a hefty fee so let them take care if their customers both good and bad.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, asharerin said:

If you use Amazon to purchase the shipping label then signature confirmation is no longer required. If the customer opens a case for non-delivery then Amazon will refund the buyer directly and you won't even see the case. Sig confirmation is categorized as "friction" by Amazon and their goal is to make buying and delivery as frictionless as possible for their customers (who wants to come home from work expecting a package only to find you won;t be getting it because a seller required a sig on delivery). Hence the new policy.

You would have been better off not getting sig confirmation and buying the label through Amazon. Your scammer was trying to take advantage of the new policy and when you required sig confirmation your scammer was not able to get the item for free. Best to let Amazon pay out of pocket rather than you dealing with a mess. You pay Amazon a hefty fee so let them take care if their customers both good and bad.

I did purchase the shipping label through Amazon, the item was FBM.  I do not quite understand a policy that allows buyers to claim they didn't receive an item when they did.  Are you saying that if the buyer wanted to steal the item and claims it was never delivered, Amazon would refund them, and pay me for my sold item? That is much better for both thief and honest seller.

16 minutes ago, asharerin said:

its the policy, IN PAPER. supposedly if buyer opens A-Z for non-receipt it was suppose to go to amazon but apparently if buyer asks for refund with you for non-receipt its still your metrics and problem to deal with. 

in reality its a lot different, 

i have had to reimburse for some (which did not have tracking updated) of those claims. i am glad i had insurance on them. but whenever i ask seller-central about that. i never get response for a week( i wanted to play chicken and waited but again i had to blink) or until i have reimbursed the buyer.  their standard cut and paste response has been :
"Your case has been forwarded to another Amazon team and they will contact you regarding your question." 

{ i don't think its so clean that AMAZON take over everything. AMAZON makes sure that SELLER is responsible for REFUNDs for LOST/UNDELIVERED ITEM }

I would say any amount your not willing to give away if you have bad luck with a buyer. I sold a 10188 recently and am completely convinced had I not required a signature, I would have been giving the item away. That said I may lose my A-Z defense anyway and be giving it away after a lot of trouble.  That said I have not had any major problems with $70 and less items for which I almost never buy signature confirmation.

Read about your bad luck. Don't let it get you down or discourage you. We all have had to deal with BS from buyers before but the good experiences far outweigh the bad ones.
  • Like 1

I recently received a customer returned item from Amazon (FBA) where the buyer claimed the product was damaged. The box was opened and the set was half built and in a plastic baggie. It looked like someone bought it off craigslist realized it was missing pieces and swapped out the items. (The instruction booklets were unused). 

Is there anything i can do? I feel like this is a lost cause and like "cost of doing business".

54 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

I did purchase the shipping label through Amazon, the item was FBM.  I do not quite understand a policy that allows buyers to claim they didn't receive an item when they did.  Are you saying that if the buyer wanted to steal the item and claims it was never delivered, Amazon would refund them, and pay me for my sold item? That is much better for both thief and honest seller.

That is precisely the new policy. Take advantage of it. Amazon is happy to pay out of pocket for the few scammers because they know a happy customers is worth tens of thousands in profits over their lifetime while a scammer will cost them a few hundred dollars max before they are lifetime banned.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, asharerin said:

That is precisely the new policy. Take advantage of it. Amazon is happy to pay out of pocket for the few scammers because they know a happy customers is worth tens of thousands in profits over their lifetime while a scammer will cost them a few hundred dollars max before they are lifetime banned.

18 minutes ago, landphieran said:

Just sold a Lego Disney Castle I forgot about on Amazon @ 460. It's still available at SAH. I don't even know if i want to ship it...

I am hoping to see this princely treatment, so far serf applies better. Amazon is still considering my buyers A-Z and are asking the buyer for more information for the last 2 days. Can only imagine they are asking for pictures and encouraging the buyer to damage the item so it fits their claim.

If its available at a lower price elsewhere and you are a new seller on Amazon, I would assume your buyer is a scammer. Lets take a poll. Anyone on here sold a LEGO item on Amazon recently for over $400 that was not a scam buyer?

4 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

If its available at a lower price elsewhere and you are a new seller on Amazon, I would assume your buyer is a scammer. Lets take a poll. Anyone on here sold a LEGO item on Amazon recently for over $400 that was not a scam buyer?

I have sold a couple Disney castles the past month. No problems, one even left me nice feedback. The scam stories get the most attention but the majority of people are still honest. I am not a new seller though, makes sense scammers are targeting noobs. 

• Like 4

Amazon started selling with same day shipping in my area. It hasn't taken long for my expectations to be raised and now it's annoying to have to wait two days to receive something. I can now certainly believe that they will move to requiring comingling. And even if they didn't, I could see buyers paying a premium for it.

On the other hand, the Amazon delivery staff is pretty terrible. They prop my storm door open with boxes, miss deliveries when I am home, call because they don't know where to leave the package. Amazon needs to up its game, but I'm sure they will over time.

The hustle and bustle of american society is becoming too insane.  "OOOHHHH MY GOD, MY ITEM, THAT IS JUST FOR A HOBBY, THAT I ORDERED DIDN"T MAKE IT HERE IN 2 DAYS...THATS TAKING TOO LONG"..

Even in my 40 some years of life, I can wait for a week on a lego set, sometimes if it's a little longer than that, then ohh well.   Sometimes, people just need to stop and slow down on their hurried pace, and realize it's not the end of the world if you don't get something instantaneously to fulfill some sort of carnal instinct that instant gratification seems to appease. 

On 11/21/2016 at 3:09 PM, jeff_14 said:

Just got that result as well. While I don't expect a reprieve, I've been having fun at their customer service jockey's expense by pointing out that I was never sent any notification that I had to meet a sales quota this year so how can I comply with a requirement for sales in Sept/Oct that I'm only now being told about? Also, their standard form response goes on about wanting to maintain a quality shopping experience as a reason for this, to which I replied that I have a perfect 100% rating, so what is the risk? Thankfully I did very well on craigslist/kijiji this time last year even without Amazon, and then made out very well once the gate lifted in January. Still, things like this really detract from any positive feedback I might otherwise want to leave for Amazon.

Just got a call from an Amazon desk jockey and they are escalating my case. Never really expected this to go anywhere so now I'm curious where this could go from here. 

27 minutes ago, 33Lego said:

for all the veterans, how would the sales go (based on # of units sold) starting this Thursday? 

I think it really depends on if your prices are competitive, or not.  I'm sure it all varies on the amount of inventory folks are holding and what their varied strategies are.

• Like 1

Judging from last year,  I think it's a good time to sell sets that are retired for at least a year or more.  For example, last year I was selling the X-wing 9492s for around 170 on cyber monday, they creeped a little higher in the next week.  Over the course of the year, they then creeped down, then slowly creepd up and now they sell for around 195, which is about 25.00 more than last years cyber monday period.  

But, I used the money on other sets that are now well near 2x or more.  So, in a way, I think it's a good time to sell, because there are more buyers than what you get over the course of the year.  Yes, some sets will rise a little higher over a year, and many sets will stagnate and not go much higher at all once you get over the holiday season, but it just depends how you are going to use your profits..  It's a fine line.  It really is.

• Like 1