Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

Just now, newbie77 said:

B-A,

question for you..

what's amazon's reimbursement for lost/damaged items ? i.e. what percentage of your selling price will they cover for the item? or its the MSRP :P

AFAIK, It is based off Amazon's current offer or current FBA BB price minus ~20% . I have read - though never tried - that some sellers were able to recoup the full amount  by submitting invoices . Obv if the item is retired and/or u are getting a good reimbursment for it and don't have to worry about return u just leave it alone ;) 

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

AFAIK, It is based off Amazon's current offer or current FBA BB price minus ~20% . I have read - though never tried - that some sellers were able to recoup the full amount  by submitting invoices . Obv if the item is retired and/or u are getting a good reimbursment for it and don't have to worry about return u just leave it alone ;) 

In my experience, they based it on 90 day average of FBA minus fees.  Terrible if the average is based on Summer sales as opposed to Christmas prices.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

8 minutes ago, Undercover Boss said:

In my experience, they based it on 90 day average of FBA minus fees.  Terrible if the average is based on Summer sales as opposed to Christmas prices.

thanks all.

they lost my entire shipment of 75920 :( and/or they claim so to have lost it.

now crossing my fingers that they reimburse decent.. of course not wanting to be reimbursed at $39,99+tax for that matter....  i won't be surprised that they find them and sell themselves LOL ... 

They lost 3 20x20x20 boxes of mine last novemebr and I got reimbursed . Come January the boxes are found , money taken away and I'm left with items that were supposed to be christmas flips that no one wanted at that point . 

3 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

thanks all.

they lost my entire shipment of 75920 :( and/or they claim so to have lost it.

now crossing my fingers that they reimburse decent.. of course not wanting to be reimbursed at $39,99+tax for that matter....  i won't be surprised that they find them and sell themselves LOL ... 

U should be fine on those . Nice pay out . 

11 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I sold few Knex sets last year and I still can't list ... Blah. 

For any brand you think you may want to sell on Amazon make an FBM listing and jack the price so it does not sell.

They are charging long term storage on single items come Feb 2017 now so can't do the old one off FBA longtail move any longer either.

A question for you veteran Amazon sellers: I've read through the forums and seen that if Amazon suspects you are using your Prime account to buy stuff to sell through them that they will terminate your seller account. Makes sense. I'm wondering how hard of a rule this is. For example, if I have two sets that are the same, 1 from Kmart and 1 from Amazon, do I need to keep track of which one came from Amz to make sure it doesn't get sent in for FBA one day? Or is this more of a flexible rule where selling a few Amz bought items through Amz is okay as long as it isn't the bulk of what you are selling? Does length of time since purchase matter at all? I totally get that its a bad idea to buy something and then send it right back to Amz, but after a few months / years does it matter? As someone who made it under the gate, I do NOT want to do anything to jeopardize this privilege. Finally, is there a difference between FBA and FBS? I've sold used books and cds on Amz FBS for years from my own collection, many of which were bought off of Amz, but I've never had any problems - its obviously a different scenario, though - definitely don't want to get myself into any trouble with the apparent tightening of rules. Thanks! 

48 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

the right way of doing it is to have 2 buying account ( individual and business ). Never use prime on  your business account for items u plan to resell at any point and never use your personal account to buy items u plan to sell . 

Good to know (he says as he removes the 2x DDCs he just bought a couple weeks ago from Amazon from the shipment he was building).  Is this an indefinite thing?  For example, I have a Poe's X-Wing I purchased on Prime and built last year.  I now have a bunch I plan to sell (in 4-15 years for slightly under RRP if certain people on this site are to be believed) that were not purchased on Amazon.  Have any of you long-timers tried or had any issues?

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Good to know (he says as he removes the 2x DDCs he just bought a couple weeks ago from Amazon from the shipment he was building).  Is this an indefinite thing?  For example, I have a Poe's X-Wing I purchased on Prime and built last year.  I now have a bunch I plan to sell (in 4-15 years for slightly under RRP if certain people on this site are to be believed) that were not purchased on Amazon.  Have any of you long-timers tried or had any issues?

Thanks for the help!

Never had an issue.

I'm curious to know if Rogue One items will be gated at all, in general?

• Like 1

I've been debating the same thing myself.  I've got a lot of about 10 lego sets of the same ASIN that I wanted to sell this holiday season.  Two of these sets I purchased on my personal Prime account a ways back.  To be safe, I've decided I'm going to have to sell these on ebay and not risk doing anything to hinder my Amazon seller account.  Or am I being too careful? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaxman said:

I've been debating the same thing myself.  I've got a lot of about 10 lego sets of the same ASIN that I wanted to sell this holiday season.  Two of these sets I purchased on my personal Prime account a ways back.  To be safe, I've decided I'm going to have to sell these on ebay and not risk doing anything to hinder my Amazon seller account.  Or am I being too careful? 

Personal opinion : you should be fine and I doubt anything bad would happen .

However  with the current changsd who knows , I've never heard of anyone getting shut down becuase of it , "just" a warning and they were buying in large quantities . Abd just because I've never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen . Lol

• Like 3

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/09/amazon-wants-to-challenge-ups-and-fedex-with-its-own-delivery-system/

Amazon looking to abandon UPS, FedEx in favor of its own delivery service

The online retailer could save billions by holding onto packages through delivery.

Amazon is already in the business of delivering packages to your door as quickly as possible, but now the company seems intent on cutting out shipping middlemen. A report by The Wall Street Journal claims that Amazon is building its own shipping service to replace FedEx and UPS, giving it more control over its packages and possibly allowing it to ship packages from other retailers.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

They have their own planes now. Won't be long before they put UPS and FEDEX out of business. AMZN going to $1200.

Things get really interesting once they perfect automated driving. Exciting times to be part of ecommerce that is still very much in its infant stages.

5 minutes ago, asharerin said:

They have their own planes now. Won't be long before they put UPS and FEDEX out of business. AMZN going to $1200.

Things get really interesting once they perfect automated driving. Exciting times to be part of ecommerce that is still very much in its infant stages.

Curious how much of a percentage of total shipments for UPS and FedEx are Amazon shipments. Don't think they'll go out of business - tons of other businesses still ship using UPS and FedEx, but it'll definitely hurt.

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Curious how much of a percentage of total shipments for UPS and FedEx are Amazon shipments. Don't think they'll go out of business - tons of other businesses still ship using UPS and FedEx, but it'll definitely hurt.

Amazon never builds out just for themselves. They build infrastructure and rent it it to others. Why use UPS or FEDEX when Amazon will be faster and alot cheaper? This is not about FEDEX or UPS losing Amazon, it is about Amazon gaining everyone who uses FEDEX and UPS.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Amazon never builds out just for themselves. They build infrastructure and rent it it to others. Why use UPS or FEDEX when Amazon will be faster and alot cheaper? This is not about FEDEX or UPS losing Amazon, it is about Amazon gaining everyone who uses FEDEX and UPS.

Then they will nickel and dime everyone to death....stamp on crooked....10 cents. Retape...6 cents per every 3" of tape. New box...bend over...lost package...talk to Rakshit in who knows where and good luck. You reused a Walmart box...$5 fee. Not picking your package up at a locker...$10 fee. And now Prime is $200 yr because airplanes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil B said:

Amazon looking to abandon UPS, FedEx in favor of its own delivery service

I noticed that a couple amazon packages I received over the past two weeks were delivered by amazon directly. I wouldn't have even noticed, but the first time (I think), they called and asked where to leave the package. That was for a small box (Buckingham Palace) with normal prime shipping, not any of the same day services. They haven't called since for other direct deliveries.

3 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I have not received any notice from Amazon that I have to sell 25 items by the end of October to qualify for toy selling this holiday season. That notice went out mid September last year. Could one of the effects of the gating to be an end to this requirement?

I got my "you have not yet qualified" email earlier this week. So I don't think gating removed this requirement. I can list LEGO freely on Amazon. I'm okay with having to do FBA this holiday season btw so I won't bother, I'm small scale on Amazon.