10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

You can get it on amazon for $340 and $345 fba right now. It still goes under $300 regularly on ebay too. It's doing fine but I think some numbers here are a bit inflated. 

I don't think anyone described the numbers with the "all day" description.  Base list price on Amazon is encouraging, that's all that was said.

I don't think anyone described the numbers with the "all day" description.  Base list price on Amazon is encouraging, that's all that was said.

Yeah, I think the key here with R2 and other sets that effectively retired last fall is trend and not so much numbers unless one is looking to sell right now.  In the US, R2 had the initial $100 price increase and sat there for awhile.  Over the last month the price has been on the climb, which could be collectors realizing the set isn't coming back and buying before the price increases more and investors buying stock in the set.

We've seen similar patterns in price increase for Town Hall, Haunted House, and other sets that disappeared several months ago.

In the US, not saying world wide, but December 18, 2015, the movie screen opens and the opening black screen with the standard Star Wars opening theme music and the Episode VII text title screen comes up.  That is all that is needed to vault this set and many other retired Star Wars sets up up and away.

The quality of the movie does not matter.  It will be good enough.  I hope it is a home run.

But that date, that music, that opening text title screen and I think we will see significant valuation moves in the two weeks following.

Mark this post.  Come back and tell me I was spot on or to go hide behind the chair in the back of the theater on December 31st.

I think I will be spot on.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't see how the new movie could do anything but help a set like this. Either the movie is great, and Star Wars interest surges even higher, or it stinks, and the nostalgia and desire for OT stuff grow as a result.

Definitely, especially given R2 is in the new movie.

I remember all of the hype leading up to Episode I in 1999 and that was before the explosion of the internet, blogging, and social media, etc...  No matter what your opinion of Episode I is, many people still saw it because it was Star Wars and some people grew up with Episodes I-III as opposed to IV-VI.

The marketing for Episode 7 will be enormous and the internet buzz has already started it.  Even if the story for Episode 7 isn't the best, it does have the benefit of having more connection with the OT (TIE fighters, Luke, Leia, Han, etc...)

The movie will be interesting (in its effect on SW Lego).  Obviously there will be lots of new SW stuff coming out alongside the movie.  Christmas, for example, brings with it massive demand for toys, but not all retired Lego rises in value in November - December and some of the sets aimed at AFOL's do in fact decline slightly each winter, perhaps because household spending switches from buying toys for dad to buying toys for the kids.  Episode VII may not be a sure thing for secondary market Lego prices.

Edit: Does anyone remember if first wave HP sets went up in value when the last HP movie was in theaters?

Edited by GhostDad

histrionically, bricklinked sets w/o the legit manuals and especially UCS stickers always sell for less (MISB and Used)..  I do agree these "made up" sets may hinder the price of used sets but not much.  AFOLS love having UCS manuals and stickers.

It will happen but probably won't have a large effect on sealed copies.  May keep down the used prices of the set.

So with the talk of being able to Bricklink one of these things, how long before someone does just that and offers the parts + a printed instruction manual for sale?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I think I would have taken the negative feedback and kept it.

It'll probably get "lost in the post". I snapped one up recently for