10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

IMO, the bulls will be running on R2 for a very- VERY long time.

Virtually no chance of a re-hash for a little bot that is one of the most iconic characters of one of the most iconic films of all-time... and who's presence and popularity will only increase with the slew of SW films to come (in which- worth noting- He will be featured).

I would hypothesize this set goes well into the $1,000+ range, and faster than many would imagine. Again, just IMO.

Hold. Store, forget about, and hold. Even with the hoarding, long product run, and opportunity to acquire, the exceptional popularity and demand for this set will override the volume acquired by "folks like us".

Additionally:

Both WVM and the SW AT-AT are virtually extinct at the retail level... both, as of this post, are currently available at MRSP @ amazon US.

Well worth a look.

Edited by Cross
  • Like 2

IMO, the bulls will be running on R2 for a very- VERY long time.

Virtually no chance of a re-hash for a little bot that is one of the most iconic characters of one of the most iconic films of all-time... and who's presence and popularity will only increase with the slew of SW films to come (in which- worth noting- He will be featured).

I would hypothesize this set goes well into the $1,000+ range, and faster than many would imagine. Again, just IMO.

Hold. Store, forget about, and hold. Even with the hoarding, long product run, and opportunity to acquire, the exceptional popularity and demand for this set will override the volume acquired by "folks like us".

Additionally:

Both WVM and the SW AT-AT are virtually extinct at the retail level... both, as of this post, are currently available at MRSP @ amazon US.

Well worth a look.

I agree.

The set has gone from $180 MSRP to hitting $390 on Amazon in not too long of time.

I am a Star Trek, Star Wars and JJ Abrams fan.

I think whatever has been gained in marketing for Star Wars to date since Disney has bought it will be NOTHING compared to the merchandising revenue from Episode VII whether it is great or garbage.

I think R2 will be over $500 easy at movie time and keep climbing.

While many say this set is hoarded I would also say it was just last year when all the nay sayers were saying it would be around till the movie at least.  I think a lot of people did not believe and did not purchase.

It is not a Town Hall but it is an excellent investment.

Well said Trek. Interesting to to compare it to AA, both of which are doing very well. But the "Little Guy"  much better... and neither one is officially retired.

TH is in its own catengory due to the rug being yanked out beneath it.

But R2 is in a class of his own. What a unique build. With the combination of Disney and J.J. Abrams behind Star Wars... there will be a film a year from now until the Biblical Apocalypse.

Their formula is simple: a trilogy every other year: a SW character-centric film between.

There was a time I believed the SW Lego theme to be "cooling off". The rising tide of these future films will lift all SW Lego "boats". This theme- and this set- are red-hot.

• Like 2

I agree.

The set has gone from $180 MSRP to hitting $390 on Amazon in not too long of time.

I am a Star Trek, Star Wars and JJ Abrams fan.

I think whatever has been gained in marketing for Star Wars to date since Disney has bought it will be NOTHING compared to the merchandising revenue from Episode VII whether it is great or garbage.

I think R2 will be over $500 easy at movie time and keep climbing.

While many say this set is hoarded I would also say it was just last year when all the nay sayers were saying it would be around till the movie at least.  I think a lot of people did not believe and did not purchase.

It is not a Town Hall but it is an excellent investment.

I had actually forgotten about this set. No lie. Thanks for the welcome reminder. $390? That makes me very happy.
  • Like 1

I can't remember if I read it here or on another forum but I vaguely remember someone saying that this set doesn't have many unique parts which could cap the aftermarket value. Any one have thoughts on this?

I only have one sealed and one loose as I focused on TH last year but I will be holding both.

I can't remember if I read it here or on another forum but I vaguely remember someone saying that this set doesn't have many unique parts which could cap the aftermarket value. Any one have thoughts on this?

I only have one sealed and one loose as I focused on TH last year but I will be holding both.

Your concern is valid on paper, but I do not place much weight in it. You know 94.7%* of all buyers are too lazy or not interested in bricklinking a set. This set will continue to climb at a solid rate. I would not be shocked to see this hit $500 this year.

* I like to make up numbers.

• Like 2

Do not let anyone fool you.  This set will do fine.  TH is better but this set is wonderful.  Joe Star Wars Fan and Janette Lego Mom do not go brick link sets.  At least the vast majority of them.  People (stereotype) in those classes want the real thing. Before I get the rush of replies saying oh yes I brick link.  I am not talking about anyone who is a member of brick picker and brick links set ****** my target audience.

• Like 1

I'll add that I find it amazing how many people who buy stuff locally from me have never heard of anything other than eBay for buying retired Lego sets. Bricklinking a big set like the R2D2 is hard work and not only do you need to know it's possible, you need a little bit of tech savvy to do it without paying too much.

My kids, who generally have little interest in Star Wars (much to my horror), love the droids. Everyone loves the droids. This is the droid you're looking for!

Thanks for the opinions. You guys do bring up valid points about the regular Joe not knowing about bricklink as well as the work it takes to bricklink a set. I just recently decided to try bricklinking the 10129 UCS Snowspeeder last week, and boy, it's not easy to do. Not cheap either even after I've decided to substitute the expensive pieces out.

Even though a set may not have many unique parts, it still takes time to Bricklink any set. That being said, I'm sure that many people would pay the value of the set instead of having to locate and buy all the pieces.