10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I didn't as I'm nervous about a newer/better one possibly coming out ready for episode 7.  However, I did initally think of making an offer but, I'd have lowballed him anyway.  To date, I've not paid over RRP for anything.

Hmmm... Could a new R2-D2 be on its way?

Yeah, it's called BB-8.

Answered with authority and confidence, do you have sources? I hope you're right.

It was an authoritative and confident view that there will be no new Lego R2D2 that will affect or hamper prices of 10225. Even if a new one is in the pipeline I can't see it being a UCS version or of similar design. I have 22 of these and 2 more awaiting collection and feel very confident these are going to continue to make money.

The more "friends" I make in LEGO circles, the more I realise that the really big players don't associate with us small fry and are not members on any LEGO forum. I went to someone's lock-up over the weekend to deliver my last 200 or so CITY vehicles and Friends sets (at a loss) and I was gobsmacked at what I saw. Not only did I see a pallet of about 20x 10179 but, there were pallets upon pallets of SSDs, Fire Brigades, Horizon Express, Sopwith Camels but, not one single VW Camper (does he know something we don't?). I also estimated about 120x R2-D2 on just one shelf. This guy must either work for The Gods themselves or own a massive toy shop. Could it be Emazer's brother?

Yes, let let's give each other some slack but, not too much to hang ourselves!

I don't get why someone who doesn't know you would invite you round to his lock up when he has potentially tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of pounds of Lego stocked. Unless that place is like Fort Knox he's asking for trouble. People hold up banks for far less money. I don't care if that place is patrolled by a security guard, there are people that will find a way of stripping that place clean in less than an hour.

Guest TabbyBoy

It was an authoritative and confident view that there will be no new Lego R2D2 that will affect or hamper prices of 10225. Even if a new one is in the pipeline I can't see it being a UCS version or of similar design. I have 22 of these and 2 more awaiting collection and feel very confident these are going to continue to make money.

I have only 5 as missed out on the Argos 3-for-2.  Well done on your stash.  22 is the exact same amount I have in Sopwith Camels, VW Campers and Coast Guard Patrols.  You just can't lose with UCS StarWars.

The "pudding basin on a football" droid in ep 7 looks interesting and I wonder how LEGO will replicate ti.

Guest TabbyBoy

I don't get why someone who doesn't know you would invite you round to his lock up when he has potentially tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of pounds of Lego stocked. Unless that place is like Fort Knox he's asking for trouble. People hold up banks for far less money. I don't care if that place is patrolled by a security guard, there are people that will find a way of stripping that place clean in less than an hour.

I've dealt with him once before so not exactly a stranger. I also have a similar lock-up albeit a lot smaller but, fully insured.  I've had buyers round to collect job lots and bikes off me but, only those that I have dealt with before. There's bigger warehouses with more valuable inventory all over the place. However, due to increases in domestic break-ins at this time of year, I no longer keep sets at home. It's only a short walk for me to pick stuff up anyway.  It's sad that those who won't work for a living resort to things like this.

BTW... Get any RIs? Now Sold Out.

I have to shake my head whenever I hear, "They're retiring X so they must be releasing a new X!" Do people really believe Lego is so lazy and unimaginative that they have to recycle their flagship sets? There are thousands of cool things that can be inspiration for new exclusives. Why would they waste their desigers' talents and their production resources to pump out another expensive R2-D2? Why not a UCS Batwing, X-Men SR-71 Blackbird, SHIELD Helicarrier, Invisible Jet, Solo in Carbonite, lightsaber, AT-AT, Hulkbuster Armor, Big Ben, Lincoln Memorial, etc? And that's just the classic stuff. I'm willing to bet there's going to be a UCS [insert name of cool ship from new Star Wars movies] coming soon. When Lego designers are meeting in their Think Tank, they're not saying "Hey! Let's make the thing we just retired!"

They'll always recycle some of the medium-sized models just because there'll always be kids who want trains, X-Wings and firetrucks for Christmas, but Lego's high-end sets will continue to be unique.

There will be no remake of R2 for a long time...if ever.  For all anyone knows, he gets blown up in the first 5 minutes of the new film.  

I hope not, but if so, then Chewie can put him back together just like C-3PO on Cloud City.  I'm still not sure how 3PO got blasted apart just at all of his major joints and was able to be put back together.

I mean come on.. They just listed R2 on sale for 161.98 SAH while sold out.  This thing deader then the Monty Python's parrot

They do this to discourage in-store returns and to flush sales through on products headed towards retirement. They did this last year with lots of products that were sold out LONG before they added the 'sale price'.

Obviously very few people would be returning UCS sets once they're sold out, but they do this with base sets too. 

It is interesting how this thread has gone very quiet.

A few interesting statistics on 10225 R2-D2.

1. LEGO Shop at Home has gone from Temporarily out of Stock to Sold Out

2. LEGO Shop at Home has gone from Sold Out to Sold Out and it is marked down on sale

3. When you go to eBay and search by New, Buy It Now, US Only, there are only 34 sellers selling R2.  You need to manually count them and eliminate all the parts, pieces and Slave I's that show up when you search for Lego 10225.  That is extremely impressive and leads me to believe that many people did not believe it is retiring.  By contrast the Super Star Destroyer 10221 with the same search criteria, shows there are about 42-45 sellers.

4. I get 3 more in on Monday from Toys R Us that I was able to order last week.  I was going to quick flip them as the price is approaching $300.  However in light of the scarcity I think I'll hold these 3 and sell of some of my 7965's.

The stars are aligning wonderfully for a major price increase with Episode VII release

Like what I am seeing.  Thanks Brickpicker.