10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I have nine reserved for collection, I just can't decide if I want to pay full rrp for them all. Every one of my R2's has been bought with a 33% discount.

I understand the feeling. However I did the same thing with the Town Hall. Bought my last two at RRP. Do not regret it now though!

I have nine reserved for collection, I just can't decide if I want to pay full rrp for them all. Every one of my R2's has been bought with a 33% discount.

It would be a foolish move in my opinion not to buy those sets. I pay above retail for many special sets all the time and I never regret it. People need to realize that not every LEGO set has to be bought at a discount for it to be a good deal in the long term.
  • Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy

Just over 12" 

There's one in Harrods built right now and it looked much smaller than I expected,  But, it's a superb model nonetheless.  I've never yet paid over RRP for anything but, might in the case of these.

It would be a foolish move in my opinion not to buy those sets. I pay above retail for many special sets all the time and I never regret it. People need to realize that not every LEGO set has to be bought at a discount for it to be a good deal in the long term.

Totally agree, but the poster in question was from Great Brittain. I think our overseas folks have to consider this aspect more than US brickpickers for two reasons:

1) they're at a competitive disadvantage price wise already 

2) they actually can still find discounts on exclusives from time to time

edit

3) lately, they seem to be getting a completely obvious heads up on exclusives retiring from the US market, whereas they'll be available easily and at a discount in their home nation. This means they can afford to be really picky on what they buy and when. Granted if your goal is 40 R2's then just start buying, but if you're small time, the $$ and space matter, so you have to pick & choose.

Edited by mudcatsfan

Totally agree, but the poster in question was from Great Brittain. I think our overseas folks have to consider this aspect more than US brickpickers for two reasons:

1) they're at a competitive disadvantage price wise already 

2) they actually can still find discounts on exclusives from time to time

Paying retail or slightly above retail for quality sets applies everywhere and here is why.  They are two separate markets for the most part, so what we pay and sell for in the US has very little affect on what occurs in their secondary market.  Most sets show similar growth between the 4 major markets, so the appreciation on their initial investment really only relates to them.  Our resellers are not flooding the international markets with LEGO sets.  Our data indicates there is some sales, but not a significant amount. People usually stick within or near their country of origin to sell products on eBay.  

Paying retail or slightly above retail for quality sets applies everywhere and here is why.  They are two separate markets for the most part, so what we pay and sell for in the US has very little affect on what occurs in their secondary market.  Most sets show similar growth between the 4 major markets, so the appreciation on their initial investment really only relates to them.  Our resellers are not flooding the international markets with LEGO sets.  Our data indicates there is some sales, but not a significant amount. People usually stick within or near their country of origin to sell products on eBay.  

Very interesting note re: lack of overseas sales. 

With the advent of ebay's International sales program, i've certainly seen my overseas sales pick up. Perhaps that will continue to increase as the years go by. I know i love the price of sending something to Kentucky and getting the benefit of a world wide audience.

I expect to see a more open worldwide marketplace in the near future. I also think you have an amazing opportunity with this site as its already a global community.

For sets like R2 the main hurdle is shipping and customs duties - even between two EU countries sending that size of box is around 25-40 euros compared with 8 or so nationally, so you would really have to go some to win back that cost on the price of the

Edited by Neosphinx

Which one of you is this guy?

Went to my LEGO store for the VIP event and picked up an R2. Was talking to the manager about how I "hear that R2 is going away" and she says "Yes, it's sad but true".

She then says that someone had called the store during the week asking to buy 4 and have them shipped. So she got his name and then proceeded to look him up in the system and she says it appears that this guy has called at least 21 LEGO stores across the country looking for R2's and got almost all the stores to sell him at least 2 each.

She says "I guess I know what he is going to do with them..."

Edited by grackleflint

Which one of you is this guy?

Went to my LEGO store for the VIP event and picked up an R2. Was talking to the manager about how I "hear that R2 is going away" and she says "Yes, it's sad but true".

She then says that someone had called the store during the week asking to buy 4 and have them shipped. So she got his name and then proceeded to look him up in the system and she says it appears that this guy has called at least 21 LEGO stores across the country looking for R2's and got almost all the stores to sell him at least 2 each.

She says "I guess I know what he is going to do with them..."

And trekgate was his name-o...

Already a legend...

• Like 5