10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

So what do you do if you measure an R2 box and it seems light?

Do you open it to confirm a missing bag? Or do you contact Lego, looking for an extra bag without letting on that the box is still sealed?

I haven't weighed mine and see no need to really. If I end up selling one with a missing bag, it's not really my fault. Though I'd be happy to contact Lego on the buyer's behalf and get a replacement if possible.

I'd be happy to contact Lego on the buyer's behalf and get a replacement

That may be doable if you sell soon and bought from LEGO, but if you bought from Argos and sell in 2 years time you are truely screwed. Best to let it ride me thinks.

Edited by stephen_rockefeller

So what do you do if you measure an R2 box and it seems light?

Do you open it to confirm a missing bag? Or do you contact Lego, looking for an extra bag without letting on that the box is still sealed?

I haven't weighed mine and see no need to really. If I end up selling one with a missing bag, it's not really my fault. Though I'd be happy to contact Lego on the buyer's behalf and get a replacement if possible.

I'm not sure of your usual selling platform, so my response may not mean much, but if you are selling on eBay you would be responsible for a missing bag. If your set was advertised as BNIB then the buyer would have a legitimate not as described case.

Unless you guys are all weighting it on the same scale, its a waste of time.

That's a negative. You can use any scale you want, you just need to calibrate it. It's pretty easy, just put a known weight on it and if it doesn't measure it correctly, adjust the sce so it does. If you can't adjust it, just take the deviation into account.

I'm not sure of your usual selling platform, so my response may not mean much, but if you are selling on eBay you would be responsible for a missing bag. If your set was advertised as BNIB then the buyer would have a legitimate not as described case.

Would I though? I'd be selling it as a new, sealed set (on ebay). Which is what it would be.

Do you have an R2 from a long time ago?

I measured one and it was 5 lb 10.8 oz.

I then measured my 19 new ones and they are all either 5 lb 10.8 oz or 5 lb 11 oz.

You don't have to be the weight of other people but you do need a reference point and then verify all the same.

Yes I agree it would be on you in 5 years if you sell it and it is missing a bag if they in fact open it and build it within the seller protection period.'

That being said the goal to get around potential losses is mass quantity for me.  I have built up enough if I lose on one long term it will be ok.

But I think the missing bag thing while legitimate is overblown.

Just check out your stock with a reference point and you will be ok.

It has now been a week and very minimal R2 online store sightings in the US (some appearances at Toys R Us).

Does anyone else wonder if this thing will exit quicker than the other sets and not pop up like GE and TH have?

Hmm....

It's highly unlikely (imo) just going off of the trends of recent sets, how they have been randomly coming in and out of stock. If this is the case though, the potential for this set definitely increases.

Trust me, if you list it as new, and it's missing a bag, it's on you. If your buyer opens a SNAD case you will lose.

Has this happened to you? What's the usual procedure then? Do I just take the hit and accept a return and refund?

It seems very unfair once it's a sealed set, and therefore Lego's fault. I think any buyer buying a sealed set should be prepared to accept it may be missing a part or bag. Wishful thinking I suppose.

Edited by tractorboy

I'm still in holding mode on all of my sets, but I've often wondered about this too. Not much protection for the seller. 

I saw a thread where Ed mentioned that it would probably become the standard for sellers to sell opened boxes with unopened bags, etc, to prove that they are selling the entire set. 

From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be much of a price difference if the set is complete and bags are unopened.

I'd be more concerned about the potential for pure fraud.  Who's to say the buyer is telling the truth about the missing pieces?  Opening the set yourself and checking beforehand is no protection against an outright lie.  Don't forget that starting tomorrow PayPal buyers (ie everyone) will have a full six months to decide if their set is 'missing pieces'.  I very strongly recommend that anyone who has not already done so call PayPal and protest this evisceration of the seller protection policy.  Mass protest by sellers can work; it already got eBay to drop their extended (90 day) holiday returns requirement for top-rated sellers.

I'd be more concerned about the potential for pure fraud.  Who's to say the buyer is telling the truth about the missing pieces?  Opening the set yourself and checking beforehand is no protection against an outright lie.  Don't forget that starting tomorrow PayPal buyers (ie everyone) will have a full six months to decide if their set is 'missing pieces'.  I very strongly recommend that anyone who has not already done so call PayPal and protest this evisceration of the seller protection policy.  Mass protest by sellers can work; it already got eBay to drop their extended (90 day) holiday returns requirement for top-rated sellers.

lol 6 months? that's ridiculous!

How are people supposed to plan with their money?

you should create an online petition using whitehouse.gov

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

• Like 1