10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Well my Lego CS rep told me that bees can smell fear...Funny how there seems to be so much speculation on this.  At the beginning of there year there was a post my emazers that said what will be retiring and what will not this year.  So far he's been right with every one so far.  He said the R2 wont be retire for a couple of years and that's all I need to know.

Ok, go with that then.

Well my Lego CS rep told me that bees can smell fear...Funny how there seems to be so much speculation on this.  At the beginning of there year there was a post my emazers that said what will be retiring and what will not this year.  So far he's been right with every one so far.  He said the R2 wont be retire for a couple of years and that's all I need to know.

OOS is the new EOL, haven't you heard?

If you are used to investing, not just brickpicking, then there is logic to that plan.  If it all worked out then I would have brought down my dollar average cost.  I may be be a relatively new brickerpicker but definitely not new to selling on ebay.  The more I think about it the less I believe this set will retire in the next 12 months and I would be willing to bet on of my R2 units for somebody elses.  Actually why don't I make it more interesting, I bet one R2 unit and a silver eagle to the first person that in boxes me. Just like any investing, there are shorts and longs.  People are flipping tumblers right now for $30 to $40 profit.  If they are putting it back into tumblers isn't that a smart move since tumblers wont be retiring soon?  But, but, but, LegoSteve the Lego store online is out of tumblers so that must mean it will retire soon.  Take a deep breathe folks...

The problem with your R2D2 / Camper Van plan could have been that first you sell your R2s to invest in T1s - but the T1 doesn't retire while R2 does. And when T1 finally has retired the R2 is not be available anymore to re-invest into. So in the end you would have given up your R2s for some short-term profit while missing out on the big post-EOL gains.

To be honest, I might not get the deep sense of your plan and my brain already hurts a bit. But keeping things as simple as possible might eventually turn out just as good or better when you have to deal with such an unpredictable factor like EOL in the game.

Does it really matter if it is retiring right this instant? It's a nice set, it's probably retiring soon, it will appreciate over time. That's all I need to know. 

Wait....I also need to know when the horde is on the move. I really enjoy being a part of the horde and seeing us devour the poor little sets.  :party:

• Like 2

He said the R2 wont be retire for a couple of years and that's all I need to know.

Now, I'm not saying that R2 is for sure done, or that he won't come back to some extent (he will, he's only temporarily out of stock at LEGO Shop at Home), and I wouldn't tell someone else how to invest their money... but you would really ignore the EOL signs that we've seen from a number of recent sets just because someone said something at the beginning of the year?

A lot of people swore the HH would linger until (at least) Halloween because it seems logical, just like R2 staying around for the new Star Wars also "seems logical". Look how that worked out for them.

Was on the phone with Lego CS rep earlier today. She told me specifically that R2D2 is not retiring. It will come back, they will make more.

We know there will be at least one more batch as it is not marked as sold out. However all signs point to this set being done very soon. There should be plenty of opportunities (probably brief) to buy this set from LEGO Shop at Home and possibly big box/amazon over the coming weeks in North America.

• Like 1

We know there will be at least one more batch as it is not marked as sold out. However all signs point to this set being done very soon. There should be plenty of opportunities (probably brief) to buy this set from LEGO Shop at Home and possibly big box/amazon over the coming weeks in North America.

I agree there will be more buying opportunities just like TH and HH have/had.

Do u want to bet on it?

If it retires u send me 21105, 21106, bttf, and a batcave - if it does not retire i will send u 2-3x RI :P

Got a mail yesterday from lego, i asked 2 days ago if there will be a small chance to buy this set on black friday. The answer was no its eol like the TH and lego told me links like amazon.de, bricklink where i maybe can buy it.... And they are sorry but lego has to produce other new sets.bla bla

• Like 2

A lot of people swore the HH would linger until (at least) Halloween because it seems logical, just like R2 staying around for the new Star Wars also "seems logical". Look how that worked out for them.

I have no factual knowledge about whether or not R2 is about to shuffle off this mortal coil, but I do have a rhetorical question for those who say keeping R2 around "seems logical."

There are currently five Exclusives being sold in the Star Wars theme. There is a sixth that has been announced and will be shipping in January. There is a seventh rumored for later in 2015.

Does it "seem logical" to expect Lego to be selling six or seven Star Wars Exclusives next year?

• Like 1

Do u want to bet on it?

If it retires u send me 21105, 21106, bttf, and a batcave - if it does not retire i will send u 2-3x RI :P

Got a mail yesterday from lego, i asked 2 days ago if there will be a small chance to buy this set on black friday. The answer was no its eol like the TH and lego told me links like amazon.de, bricklink where i maybe can buy it.... And they are sorry but lego has to produce other new sets.bla bla

That's the standard response I.e. Cut and paste from a template. We got enough of those before GE came back from being sold out for months.

In short, sold out, toos are all the marketing tools that will help lego push out some more sets. For the next 6 months there will be lot of those droids sold officially by big boxes and TLG itself.

It baffles me that people never buy them at discount like the haunted house when target was pushing with $35 gift card. And all of a sudden there is mad rush and now price is 2x RRP lol:)

That's the standard response I.e. Cut and paste from a template. We got enough of those before GE came back from being sold out for months.

In short, sold out, toos are all the marketing tools that will help lego push out some more sets. For the next 6 months there will be lot of those droids sold officially by big boxes and TLG itself.

It baffles me that people never buy them at discount like the haunted house when target was pushing with $35 gift card. And all of a sudden there is mad rush and now price is 2x RRP lol:)

You could be very right but I just do not see 6 more months worth of R2 stock.

I have no factual knowledge about whether or not R2 is about to shuffle off this mortal coil, but I do have a rhetorical question for those who say keeping R2 around "seems logical."

There are currently five Exclusives being sold in the Star Wars theme. There is a sixth that has been announced and will be shipping in January. There is a seventh rumored for later in 2015.

Does it "seem logical" to expect Lego to be selling six or seven Star Wars Exclusives next year?

I definitely agree with that and it does seem very logical BUT LEGO also seems to be changes the rules.  The two year exclusives that they used to do before my brickpicking time seems have gone out the window.  Also, Lego, IMO, seems to be content with having a heavy number of SW exclusives out at the same time.

Consider this.  R2 is in the new movies, and Lego is done with 10225 anyway (I'm not a huge fan of the set, but I do believe it's basically retired).  That being the case, why keep DS around any longer?  It's sure as heck not in the new movies.  Some of the same people who say 'DS will never retire; it sells too well' are the same ones who say 'buy R2; it sells really well and it's retired'.  Trying to hold both those ideas in my brain at the same time makes my head hurt...  Suffice it to say, Lego retires bestsellers all the time, and DS would really stand out as an anachronism amongst a lot of new sets based on the new movies.

Consider this. R2 is in the new movies, and Lego is done with 10225 anyway (I'm not a huge fan of the set, but I do believe it's basically retired). That being the case, why keep DS around any longer? It's sure as heck not in the new movies. Some of the same people who say 'DS will never retire; it sells too well' are the same ones who say 'buy R2; it sells really well and it's retired'. Trying to hold both those ideas in my brain at the same time makes my head hurt... Suffice it to say, Lego retires bestsellers all the time, and DS would really stand out as an anachronism amongst a lot of new sets based on the new movies.

Perhaps exclusives and upcoming movies don't mix. Is there going to be a movie with Tumbler? Is there going to be a movie with Slave I?

Consider this. R2 is in the new movies, and Lego is done with 10225 anyway (I'm not a huge fan of the set, but I do believe it's basically retired). That being the case, why keep DS around any longer? It's sure as heck not in the new movies. Some of the same people who say 'DS will never retire; it sells too well' are the same ones who say 'buy R2; it sells really well and it's retired'. Trying to hold both those ideas in my brain at the same time makes my head hurt... Suffice it to say, Lego retires bestsellers all the time, and DS would really stand out as an anachronism amongst a lot of new sets based on the new movies.

DS is whole other thing. Why would LEGO retire it? They already have had it out this long and they aren't introducing a set that would directly compete for that space on shelves. Makes sense for R2 to leave because Slave I will fill its place. Edited by Young_Gun21

Consider this.  R2 is in the new movies, and Lego is done with 10225 anyway (I'm not a huge fan of the set, but I do believe it's basically retired).  That being the case, why keep DS around any longer?  It's sure as heck not in the new movies.  Some of the same people who say 'DS will never retire; it sells too well' are the same ones who say 'buy R2; it sells really well and it's retired'.  Trying to hold both those ideas in my brain at the same time makes my head hurt...  Suffice it to say, Lego retires bestsellers all the time, and DS would really stand out as an anachronism amongst a lot of new sets based on the new movies.

I would consider the Death Star an anomolous set in many ways (size, price point, life span) and not use it as the basis for comparison to any other set. But that's just my personal take on it.

Slave I could easily be in the next SW movies.  Officially, Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc.  Tumbler could easily be in a Batman movie.  Why not?  But the DS blew up, and all the Imperial characters that come with the set are dead.  People only think it's a neverending set because it hasn't ended yet.  In 24 hours, R2 went from available everywhere online to nowhere.  One day soon that will happen with DS.

Edit: 6212 was another anomalous set with 6 years of life, just like DS today, but then it retired.  It's been held back in value by the new X-Wing, but do folks really expect a new UCS Death Star anytime soon?

Edited by GhostDad
  • Like 1

Slave I could easily be in the next SW movies. Officially, Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc. Tumbler could easily be in a Batman movie. Why not? But the DS blew up, and all the Imperial characters that come with the set are dead. People only think it's a neverending set because it hasn't ended yet. In 24 hours, R2 went from available everywhere online to nowhere. One day soon that will happen with DS.

Tumbler is in the new movie but they have redesigned. This old style is gold. I love the look of the old tumbler and Batman sets do great.

Out of what I have ordered this weekend I had 8 R2's come in today.

The gamut from pristine to slightly compressed and one with a slight tear in the corner.

Nothing on the scale of NMM's photo and pancake.

Keeping them all.

Did I tell you I love this set?

Attached is a photo of mine on my side desk, of course only so much space so I have it sitting on my Gentle Giant Limited Edition Star Wars Chess Set limited to 500 I think and I had that on preorder for about 2 years before it came in.

Did I tell anyone I like Star Wars?

R2 will be a big winner!

Only one thing more and that is Indiana Jones (and all 4 movies, yes even the last one)

post-31357-0-77788700-1415838123_thumb.j