10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Man talk about how the market can change quickly.  This is my first holiday as a brickpicker and I already see some spikes in prices, including the R2's.  I'm still sitting on 18 of them that I got for $125 and a week or two ago I thought about selling half for $225 then use that to buy up a bunch of T1 campers since they should all be gone by this time next year.  Then I was going to hopefully sell the T1 campers next year for $250 and then use all that money to put back into R2's.  Now with low availability of R2's I'm nervous that they will be retired even thought that should be crazy talk with the new movie coming out in a year.  I think I may just hold onto my R2's for now.  If I see them start to go for $300 then I might start listing them.

Man talk about how the market can change quickly.  This is my first holiday as a brickpicker and I already see some spikes in prices, including the R2's.  I'm still sitting on 18 of them that I got for $125 and a week or two ago I thought about selling half for $225 then use that to buy up a bunch of T1 campers since they should all be gone by this time next year.  Then I was going to hopefully sell the T1 campers next year for $250 and then use all that money to put back into R2's.  Now with low availability of R2's I'm nervous that they will be retired even thought that should be crazy talk with the new movie coming out in a year.  I think I may just hold onto my R2's for now.  If I see them start to go for $300 then I might start listing them.

Why would retirement of R2 be crazy talk? If we would think like that, no SW sets should be retired because of the new movies. I think it is indeed best to hold onto your R2's for now.

So far from Amazon this week I have gotten 2 shipments of 2 and they have both been very tight in a P7 labeled box (if I am reading that correctly).

So far they are all doing well.  Not mint but very good and better than 1/2 of my Target orders.

Most of the time, tight fit boxes work out fine, but even minor fall or mid-box hit results in noticeable damage

Why would retirement of R2 be crazy talk? If we would think like that, no SW sets should be retired because of the new movies. I think it is indeed best to hold onto your R2's for now.

I just thought it was crazy talk because this is a big money maker for LEGO and it hasn't been out nearly as long as the DS.  Trust me, I'd love every set I'm sitting on to retire so I can have 50 Tumblers.  That's my 2-3 year goal.

I wouldn't abuse that with such a small dent. Do that too many times and they ban you from buying.

Don't you love that logic? Business screws up and can't ship stuff decently and if customer complains too much, ban the customer and keep on packaging stuff horribly. Problem solved right?

• Like 1

I agree with you LegoSteve,

Most thought that the R2 was the most likely of all Star Wars sets to simply live on unchanged through Episode 7. Lego doesnt really HAVE to do anything to sell that set for another 5-7 years if they wanted to.

The Falcon will likely get a new set of minifigures, if not a totally different scale. The Xwings have visibly changed, The SSD went ahead and retired. 

R2 was the one set that could easily be on shelves 5 years from now and appear just as he does in the new films.

I just thought it was crazy talk because this is a big money maker for LEGO and it hasn't been out nearly as long as the DS.  Trust me, I'd love every set I'm sitting on to retire so I can have 50 Tumblers.  That's my 2-3 year goal.

I agree with you LegoSteve,

Most thought that the R2 was the most likely of all Star Wars sets to simply live on unchanged through Episode 7. Lego doesnt really HAVE to do anything to sell that set for another 5-7 years if they wanted to.

The Falcon will likely get a new set of minifigures, if not a totally different scale. The Xwings have visibly changed, The SSD went ahead and retired. 

R2 was the one set that could easily be on shelves 5 years from now and appear just as he does in the new film

There will probably be another char be brought out of ep. 7. 

dang, Amazon is shipping R2D2 in S8 boxes, which are skin-tight for R2D2. so, no pillows, no paper, nothing  :-( 

We just received all of our Amazon R2s. Each order was for 2 and they shipped ours all separately in S8 boxes as well. They all arrived in excellent condition surprisingly. Much better than having them bouncing around in an oversized box .

We just received all of our Amazon R2s. Each order was for 2 and they shipped ours all separately in S8 boxes as well. They all arrived in excellent condition surprisingly. Much better than having them bouncing around in an oversized box .

I guess just my luck.... Will see later how the other pair fared...

At least SSD box looks fine

Edited by No More Monkeys

a week or two ago I thought about selling half for $225 then use that to buy up a bunch of T1 campers since they should all be gone by this time next year.  Then I was going to hopefully sell the T1 campers next year for $250 and then use all that money to put back into R2's.

Am I just dumb or Is there really no logic to that plan?

• Like 3

Was on the phone with Lego CS rep earlier today. She told me specifically that R2D2 is not retiring. It will come back, they will make more.

Honestly, what is the point in calling CS and asking these things? I constantly hear people on these boards claiming they called CS, heard this, heard that (often completely contradictory things) as if it means anything. 

Don't you love that logic? Business screws up and can't ship stuff decently and if customer complains too much, ban the customer and keep on packaging stuff horribly. Problem solved right?

It seems entirely reasonable to me.  It is a policy that can be easily abused because it depends primarily on the honesty of the consumer.  After all, there are very few situations like the R2 set where the item is damaged during shipping and is (presumably) at the end of its lifespan and could not be returned for a replacement.  Therefore, if you are the retailer and you have a customer who is constantly calling in and demanding a discount because of shipping damage, you have to ask yourself how credible those claims of damage are because if the customer was really concerned about the damage, why wouldn't they just return items for replacements instead of constantly demanding discounts?  Could Amazon handle such situations differently?  Absolutely, but I don't fault them for adopting this kind of policy.   

• Like 1

It seems entirely reasonable to me. It is a policy that can be easily abused because it depends primarily on the honesty of the consumer. After all, there are very few situations like the R2 set where the item is damaged during shipping and is (presumably) at the end of its lifespan and could not be returned for a replacement. Therefore, if you are the retailer and you have a customer who is constantly calling in and demanding a discount because of shipping damage, you have to ask yourself how credible those claims of damage are because if the customer was really concerned about the damage, why wouldn't they just return items for replacements instead of constantly demanding discounts? Could Amazon handle such situations differently? Absolutely, but I don't fault them for adopting this kind of policy.

Yeah, as a reseller I have no interest in selling to minty fresh box divas...can't blame Amazon for having a limit to how much trouble they want to deal with...they have a lot more patience than I have for that stuff, but then again, they should...they have deeper pockets and much poorer packing.

• Like 1

Am I just dumb or Is there really no logic to that plan?

If you are used to investing, not just brickpicking, then there is logic to that plan.  If it all worked out then I would have brought down my dollar average cost.  I may be be a relatively new brickerpicker but definitely not new to selling on ebay.  The more I think about it the less I believe this set will retire in the next 12 months and I would be willing to bet on of my R2 units for somebody elses.  Actually why don't I make it more interesting, I bet one R2 unit and a silver eagle to the first person that in boxes me. Just like any investing, there are shorts and longs.  People are flipping tumblers right now for $30 to $40 profit.  If they are putting it back into tumblers isn't that a smart move since tumblers wont be retiring soon?  But, but, but, LegoSteve the Lego store online is out of tumblers so that must mean it will retire soon.  Take a deep breathe folks...

I guess just my luck.... Will see later how the other pair fared...

At least SSD box looks fine

wow that's a lot of SSD.. :) almost 1 every day for last week :P

usually sets in skin tight box arrive well. at least in my case it has been about 10/10. i open, inspect, weigh the set check the seals and then put it in the box itself and store. :) i.e. store with the box for those tight fitting ones :) but not for the others

Honestly, what is the point in calling CS and asking these things? I constantly hear people on these boards claiming they called CS, heard this, heard that (often completely contradictory things) as if it means anything.

The point of calling CS for me is because order status says "call customer service".

• Like 1

Was on the phone with Lego CS rep earlier today. She told me specifically that R2D2 is not retiring. It will come back, they will make more.

Very interesting...there is definitely not much unity on the question from within.  I spoke to a manager today at a BM lego store and his store was sold out and he said that it is highly unlikely that any more will come in because it is retiring.  I'm banking on...retiring with a strong degree of confidence.  Only time will tell :-)

Edited by Marzipan

Well my Lego CS rep told me that bees can smell fear...Funny how there seems to be so much speculation on this.  At the beginning of there year there was a post my emazers that said what will be retiring and what will not this year.  So far he's been right with every one so far.  He said the R2 wont be retire for a couple of years and that's all I need to know.

Edited by LegoSteve