10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

If you consider the Tantive IV iconic, then every ship in the SW universe is iconic. We see the exterior for less than a minute total, and it's part of the storyline for less than ten. Unlike the Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Star Destroyer, Landspeeder, AT-AT, and Snowspeeder, regular folk have no idea what it's even called.

Everyone knows R2-D2's name.

Can someone who actually sells on amazon comment as to whether sellers get the prices they're asking. By which I mean, a couple days ago the cheapest MISB SSD was $720 shipped on eBay and $799 shipped on amazon. Was anyone actually buying at $799? It seems bizarre to me that buyers would not comparison shop at all for a set like that. With eBay, it's easy to check completed item prices. I don't know of a way to do that with amazon.

Edit: for example, the cheapest R2's on eBay right now MISB are $220 shipped. Why would a buyer pay $265 on amazon?

Yes

Because amazon is held to a higher standard than eBay

Can someone who actually sells on amazon comment as to whether sellers get the prices they're asking.  By which I mean, a couple days ago the cheapest MISB SSD was $720 shipped on eBay and $799 shipped on amazon.  Was anyone actually buying at $799?  It seems bizarre to me that buyers would not comparison shop at all for a set like that.  With eBay, it's easy to check completed item prices.  I don't know of a way to do that with amazon.

Edit: for example, the cheapest R2's on eBay right now MISB are $220 shipped.  Why would a buyer pay $265 on amazon?

I can't speak as an experienced Amazon seller, but I do imagine there are many thousands of regular Amazon shoppers that never think of checking out eBay.

I believe the Tantive IV gets similar exterior, and far more interior, screen time than the SSD, to name just one example.  A non-iconic ship would be the B-Wing; very little screen time of any kind.  Although note that Vader's TIE doesn't get much screen time either, and buyers love that.  What I'm saying here is that if the Tantive IV were available now at MSRP, folks here would be psyched about it.  So would I.  And we'd all be wrong.  Even an iconic UCS SW ship can disappoint.

I can't speak as an experienced Amazon seller, but I do imagine there are many thousands of regular Amazon shoppers that never think of checking out eBay.

It is like advising folks who mostly shop at Newman Marcus to comparison shop at Ross. We know that Amazon is just a facade - they, not quite...

Oh, man, and when RI article in NY hit, the ratio was like 2 to 1 price wise. Granted, there were only 17 sellers on amazon at the time...

I have no idea what ebay can ever do to get rid of flea market perception

Edited by No More Monkeys
  • Like 3

It is like advising folks who mostly shop at Newman Marcus to comparison shop at Ross. We know that Amazon is just a facade - they, not quite...

Oh, man, and when RI article in NY hit, the ratio was like 2 to 1 price wise. Granted, there were only 17 sellers on amazon at the time...

I have no idea what ebay can ever do to get rid of flea market perception

exactly - affluent lazy borderline tech savvy boomers (laughing at that one) think of ebay where they go to sell their used junk and buy some deceased persons depends on the afterlife aftermarket.  AMAZON with PRIME is synonymous with new and forward looking mr.sparkle tech happy world - they're using drones now right?   and as long as you have PRIME next to your name, basically most people think they just bought it from amazon.  no one buys anything from ebay.  they buy it on ebay.  no one buys anything on amazon, they buy it from amazon.  selling on amazon especially FBA you are assimilated into amazon's brand and the strengths that it brings. comes at a cost of higher fees.

Most accurate statement that I have read today.

My family shops at Nieman and other high end retailers regularly and when they go to buy old Lego sets for their children, they use their prime account and don't consider ebay as an option.

Other notes - In my opinion, the Tantive IV is not iconic and it was just an ok build. The RBR (new acronym) is just a larger version but not spectacular. The empire vessels all do well though.

R2-D2 is a winner. I have it proudly displayed and all of my friends and sw fans love the set. The box does not do the set justice.

Even if it "only" shows 100-200% growth in 2 years, that is still an excellent return. Any adult fan that doesn't have it will pay handsomely for it in the future.

Ex Astris, Scientia.

I stand by my prediction. Checkout the offers on bricklink and ebay. Do you know what the FBA fees are for this item? R2 at $265 FBA will net the seller $207 after fees.

Don't be a Debbie Downer .  :)

Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules: There's no government, no baby sitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind.

post-31357-0-08229200-1415757388.jpeg

thanks newbie.

My and all I know Amazon accounts are at the limits.  Hoping it comes up again next week. :)

any time :) for fellow BP'ers ... i am closer to my target between yesterday and today.

still thinking should i make a run to LEGO store or NOT....nvrmind not going to do that.

am going to wait this one out :)... if it comes back will buy more otherwise happy with what i have. moving on to next exclusive...

Edited by newbie77

I stand by my prediction. Checkout the offers on bricklink and ebay. Do you know what the FBA fees are for this item? R2 at $265 FBA will net the seller $207 after fees.

I know exactly what the seller fees are. But buyers don't pay those fees so your prediction was just way off saying it will take 12 months to reach $275-$300 when Buyers are already paying $265 FBA on Amazon today, regardless of what fees the seller incurred.

In defense of panic buying:

1) It can be just as effective as buying over a longer period of time (at least in large citites like where I live). I've picked up twelve R2-D2s in the last 48 hours, and could get four more if the manager hadn't imposed a limit. Grrrr...

2) It's an efficient use of capital. Doubling your investment within 12 months creates a MUCH higher ROI (or CAGR or SCUBA or whatever) than doubling it in 36 months, which could be what happens if you buy a set at the beginning of its life.

3) It's fun! I've been having a blast calling Lego stores and zooming around buying the ones I find. I'm not desperate to do so, but hunting for a few extra R2s is like a scavenger hunt. Wheeeee!

Edited by stephen_rockefeller
  • Like 3