10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I believe he was referring to M4x18's post. My list was pure speculation. I have a feeling both lists are incomplete.

I agree M4x18 is the post that is in discussion.

Let see that post has these right so far:

10221 SSD

10211 Grand Emporium

10225 R2-D2

10224 Town Hall

He needs to see if these happen:

10220 T1 Camper

10233 Horizon Express

That is pretty darn impressive.

Oh come on now Ed.  We know that it's in your best interest to keep stoking the flames of retirement and reselling.  How much did you make on the Amazon click-throughs yesterday?  Fire Brigade is currently selling for around $300 on ebay and it has been retired for almost a year now.  My estimate is if R2 is really gone it will be cracking $375-400 around this time next year.  Reselling is fine if you're happy with making a few hundred here and there but the initial investment (especially with the no discount policy) is pretty steep.  

Sometimes to Gain Big you have to Go Big, but there is Risk so I do not advocate it for everyone.

R2 is like a blue chip stock appreciating nicely over time or like savoring a fine glass of wine.

Enjoy it, watch it and it will grow and grow.

Sometimes to Gain Big you have to Go Big, but there is Risk so I do not advocate it for everyone.

R2 is like a blue chip stock appreciating nicely over time or like savoring a fine glass of wine.

Enjoy it, watch it and it will grow and grow.

this is when you start selling your stock :)

btw, blue chip gives dividend ... does R2 give dividend as well? may be it generates off-springs LOL

10221 SSD

10211 Grand Emporium

10225 R2-D2

10224 Town Hall

10220 T1 Camper

10233 Horizon Express

I'm not sure that's the list he means. I hope it is though, because they're the sets I've been buying.

Also, where's HH on that list?

People tend to forget here that the targeted consumer base of aftermarket exclusives is entirely different from the ones seen in flipping, parting out or selling smaller sets.

First of all they have money. They think this way: I like it therefore I buy it. They don't measure price/weight ratio etc. They just buy what they like, they are not "cheap*ss". 100$ doesn't make a difference for those who buy sets priced close to 1000$. Also they are adults who don't really care that much about playability.

To add onto your point - I know 2 guys that have decided they are only going to collect/buy UCS Star Wars (well - the $200+ sets regardless of true UCS and plaque etc). Just too many other SW sets and re-issues otherwise for them to get them all.

Personally I put a lot of weight into sets that are part of a collection. The urge to complete a set is pretty darn strong - I submit to you anything comicon related that is in short supply as exhibit A. And of course the Modulars.

The Architecture series is another in which I think the EOL prices are pretty out of line with value and I attribute that to the "collectors"

Oh come on now Ed. We know that it's in your best interest to keep stoking the flames of retirement and reselling. How much did you make on the Amazon click-throughs yesterday? Fire Brigade is currently selling for around $300 on ebay and it has been retired for almost a year now. My estimate is if R2 is really gone it will be cracking $375-400 around this time next year. Reselling is fine if you're happy with making a few hundred here and there but the initial investment (especially with the no discount policy) is pretty steep.

I think your trying to justify not investing in LEGO for whatever reason. Accusing Ed of sparking a huge amount of purchases for his own benefit is crazy. If he wasn't the one making affiliate money he still would help out the community. Go invest in stocks, it's much easier and you can make way more than 100%+ gains on LEGO. Seriously.

this is when you start selling your stock :)

btw, blue chip gives dividend ... does R2 give dividend as well? may be it generates off-springs LOL

Good one.  :) Yes I am focusing more on Lego investments than the Stock Market.  I think stocks are at the high end but not Lego.

Though I do not mean to get that discussion started.

Perhaps R2 can have a motor attached and carry drinks around the house for you with a Mindstorm controller.

10221 SSD

10211 Grand Emporium

10225 R2-D2

10224 Town Hall

10220 T1 Camper

10233 Horizon Express

T1 is pretty tough sell at the moment... limit is still 5. maybe that's one case where they changed their mind

10221 SSD

10211 Grand Emporium

10225 R2-D2

10224 Town Hall

10220 T1 Camper

10233 Horizon Express

call me an unbeliever :D ...

10211 GE is still not done till DEC at the very least. { for christ sake; if you give up your sleep and keep hitting F5 you will get it in amazon at night; till yesterday }

10225 R2-D2 and

10224 TH both in my books are not done. :) i feel that both of them will be back. right now demand is very high so any stock that comes are getting absorbed. (all it a BP'er phenomenon)

aren't we suppose to start rumor on PS getting retired?

LEGO employees are still one of the best sources out there.   To many people ask is this retiring? and when is this retiring.  No one at a store wants to hear that or be asked that a million times.  That information no one truly knows and most of them will not know.    Talk to them about the sets from a collector side and show some interest in the sets and you would be surprised the valuable information you find out.   The information they give out  can be useful in building your inventory before these go out of stock.  When a manager says we haven't received new shipment of this in all summer or something to that extent that is what I want to hear.   Or that set has been around way longer than it should of been.  You can also make a ton of educated guesses by monitoring what comes in and goes out on a weekly basis (if you have local stores).  Each time I'm in I make a mental note of all the major ones on my list.  Sets sell out all the time but are often replenished.  If a few weeks go buy and they still haven't been replenished you can always say something like wow thats been out a while.  If you're talking to the right person in the store the information they reply about that set will give you a great idea of that sets future.   Then compare it to the online sites and there trends.  The ebay sales for any given week also have a lot of tell tale signs  (sudden spikes in sets out of the blue before the panic hits here).  Then on top of it all the information on this site helps out a ton.  Those lists mentioned above were great examples.  None of these were really a shock but a lot of people didn't want to believe they were going, or that all could go in the next few months.  

Good one.   :) Yes I am focusing more on Lego investments than the Stock Market.  I think stocks are at the high end but not Lego.

Though I do not mean to get that discussion started.

Perhaps R2 can have a motor attached and carry drinks around the house for you with a Mindstorm controller.

i am thinking about that :)... soon enough :) if i get free time i am going to do that :P LOL

10211 GE is still not done till DEC at the very least. { for christ sake; if you give up your sleep and keep hitting F5 you will get it in amazon at night; till yesterday }

10225 R2-D2 and

10224 TH both in my books are not done. :) i feel that both of them will be back. right now demand is very high so any stock that comes are getting absorbed. (all it a BP'er phenomenon)

You're an unbeliever. An unbelievable.

TH not done? Really?

10221 SSD

10211 Grand Emporium

10225 R2-D2

10224 Town Hall

10220 T1 Camper

10233 Horizon Express

That last one on the list really worries me. Lego have never retired an exclusive train prior to the next one being released (or shortly released thereafter). Having no exclusive train for a whole year would signify a real change that we would all have to pay close attention to.

10225 R2-D2 and

He worded his post pretty specifically - he said nothing about availability at retailers. And it was for Europe. 

Gah! Amazon had SSDs _after_ they were marked as retired. SSD not done then?? 

Oh come on now Ed.  We know that it's in your best interest to keep stoking the flames of retirement and reselling.  How much did you make on the Amazon click-throughs yesterday?  Fire Brigade is currently selling for around $300 on ebay and it has been retired for almost a year now.  My estimate is if R2 is really gone it will be cracking $375-400 around this time next year.  Reselling is fine if you're happy with making a few hundred here and there but the initial investment (especially with the no discount policy) is pretty steep.  

Here is what I replied "No" to...

There will be 1000x the number of R2's, Town Halls and Haunted Houses on the after market.

This was in reference to the 10179 Falcon.  I know there was 20,000 First Edition 10179s made.  So at the very least, there would have to be 20,000,000...or 20 MILLION R2's, Town Halls and HHs floating around in the storage facilities across the world for your statement to be true.  Sorry, that is not reality.  

As for your other comments, what I make or why I stoke the flames is none of your business.  I could easily keep the information to myself and let people fend for themselves.  I have enabled thousands of people to take advantage of private  information for FREE.  They have gotten solid information from me on the Rover, RI, SSD, TH and now the 10225, all in the past 6 months.  The site's costs have to get paid with something, so if Jeff or I ask people to click on a link, it costs you nothing, but helps keeps the site operational.  

I really don't understand your other points.  Are you telling me that DOUBLING your money in ONE YEAR is a bad thing?  I really don't know of many other investments that exhibit returns like that.  

Good luck with your future investments.  I hear Hasbro will be making a remote controlled R2-D2 that beeps and lights up.  Sounds like a solid investment.  

• Like 9

10225 R2-D2 and

I hear the Earth is flat...

• Like 2

He worded his post pretty specifically - he said nothing about availability at retailers. And it was for Europe. 

Gah! Amazon had SSDs _after_ they were marked as retired. SSD not done then?? 

SSD is done in US ; unless it shows up @ another retailer then i would say its not done. anything/everything that popped up were not with recent seal code either. that leads to that its done.

GE supposedly done back in may still is in/out from amazon and walmart ( at least that i know of. i can provide you recent proof of purchase as well). seal codes are as recent as week of 40R4 which is october. so i doubt its done.

TH was also in/out of walmart and target. i didnot purchase this set. but the last lot were 37R4 which is very recent.

now if they don't show up again then i would believe that they are done but not untill then.

also R2-D2 most recent of my purchase in october has seal of 36R4 that's from late september. so if TLG is running as late as that i doubt that its done....

if TLG is a company that's run to make profit then why would they retire sets that are selling like hot-cake and for those that are being made as recent as a month ago.