10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I guess I just have a hard time seeing people paying $400+ for a 12" Lego R2D2.  Look at set #7194 (Yoda).  Yeah, sure it's fetching $350-400 NIB, but it's also 12 years old.  And yes, R2 is a much better looking model, but I'm not sure there is a big market for Lego "busts" of Star Wars figures.  Giant ships like the SSD are different though.   I've seen both R2-D2 and the SSD in person.  The SSD is impressive and looks to be worth $400 (I just never had the nerve to spend that much).  R2 on the other hand just didn't impress me enough at $180.  

Desire increases exponentially for those things that are difficult to obtain

• Like 4

I guess I just have a hard time seeing people paying $400+ for a 12" Lego R2D2.  Look at set #7194 (Yoda).  Yeah, sure it's fetching $350-400 NIB, but it's also 12 years old.  And yes, R2 is a much better looking model, but I'm not sure there is a big market for Lego "busts" of Star Wars figures.  Giant ships like the SSD are different though.   I've seen both R2-D2 and the SSD in person.  The SSD is impressive and looks to be worth $400 (I just never had the nerve to spend that much).  R2 on the other hand just didn't impress me enough at $180.  

I think this will do better than the usual bust because it's a complete item and doesn't really come across like a bust, but I personally enjoy the different opinions expressed on sets. It's nice to not just hear "buy buy buy" for everything and anything. Time will tell. I'm not as bullish on this set as some, but I was short on a lot of the other recent EOL's so it looks like I'm taking R2D2 to the dance. I'm happy enough about the purchase.

Edited by LegoManiacc

There might be some truth to your argument.  LEGO busts and replicas of characters have not appreciated as well as vehicles.  I don't think anyone is saying this set will be a $1000 set 4-5 years from now, but with the new movies coming out and R2 in them, I wouldn't bet against it.  Also, you will never see another R2 UCS set again.

Bought one at local LEGO store today.  Seal codes were 36R4 (not sure about the letter in-between).  They had 6 on the shelf and possibly more in the back.  I don't think all the local resellers have figured out this one could be gone yet.  Hopefully some stock will last until the Thanksgiving sale but I have no idea how many they have.

There might be some truth to your argument.  LEGO busts and replicas of characters have not appreciated as well as vehicles.  I don't think anyone is saying this set will be a $1000 set 4-5 years from now, but with the new movies coming out and R2 in them, I wouldn't bet against it.  Also, you will never see another R2 UCS set again.

I think many would be more than happy with a doubling of investment or more, which seems pretty reasonable within a 2 year post-EOL retirement. Or sooner...the new movies are going to hopefully create some SW mania.

I think many would be more than happy with a doubling of investment or more, which seems pretty reasonable within a 2 year post-EOL retirement. Or sooner...the new movies are going to hopefully create some SW mania.

SW Mania isn't a "hopefully." At least in the U.S. I can guarantee SW will be crazy next year. People will want LEGO, Hasbro, anything they can get there hands on. Especially since it already has a huge following.

If this one does the short dance like HH and TH then I can see it easily doubling before the movie comes out next year.  If it does the long dance like GE then it could take longer as the masses will have time to stockpile this set.

R2 is more of a complete model rather than a simple bust.  It's the complete figure, it has moving parts, plus it has a display plaque with technical data so it fits in with the rest of the UCS line.  It has enough play features that my kids enjoy playing with it.  I think this is probably the first UCS set that has genuine appeal for children.  Every boy under 10 in my family is obsessed with R2 right now, mostly thanks to the Clone Wars cartoon which they've all watched religiously.  My 7 year old went crazy when R2 showed up on Rebels, and if he had his way he'd clear out all the R2 merchandise at the Disney Store.  All of these things add up to a big winner here IMHO.

• Like 1

The busts look like crap. When I first saw one I thought it was some pixel art-esque MOC created by a fan. R2 is a little rough on the top but otherwise is a far superior model.

• Like 1

Asked LEGO Shop at Home if the r2d2 will come back. They emailed me its done like the TH. Today i have zero 10225 :(

But i have a masterplan :P

Does it involve deceit, violence and theft? In which case I'm all in favour. I just picked up three R2D2's in the 3 for 2 Argos deal. I'm happy with my haul now, just as well because this is getting expensive.

It's amazing how the BPer community has unlimited funds to clean out any set that Mr.Mack hints at. 

After THs, HHs, GEs, now R2D2........and looking into the future of  AA, ToO, DS, 3E, PS, TB, Tumbler, Slave1......it seems my wallet will be empty for a long time.  :resent:

If any of you see me on the streets please offer me some food. Thank you

In regards to the investment potential of this set, its like buying gold at $500 an ounce.
So Lets recap, shall we?

• Star Wars Theme................Check
  • Iconic & Lovable Player from that ICONIC Theme..............Check
  • Lego Exclusive................Check
  • A High-end $$ Toy...................Check
  • 2.5 Years Availability..........Check
  • Motion Picture coming out in 2015.............Check
  • UCS..............................DOUBLE CHECK!!!!
  • Like 1

It's amazing how the BPer community has unlimited funds to clean out any set that Mr.Mack hints at. 

After THs, HHs, GEs, now R2D2........and looking into the future of  AA, ToO, DS, 3E, PS, TB, Tumbler, Slave1......it seems my wallet will be empty for a long time.  :resent:

If any of you see me on the streets please offer me some food. Thank you

I think the retailers inventories are smaller than you think, especially for sets near retirement.  I only hint at sets after obvious signs.  The signs are there for all to see.  This is not magic.  

• Like 1

I think the retailers inventories are smaller than you think, especially for sets near retirement.  I only hint at sets after obvious signs.  The signs are there for all to see.  This is not magic.  

People, Please do yourself a favor, if you don't see these signs as a lego Investor, then its time to get out of the game.

• Like 1

Hmm..... smaller.....you make a good point.....a couple hundred for r2d2 yesterday at Amazon? 

That means my wallet is much mightier than I originally thought it was. I'm going to go give it a hug now. Haha