10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I love this set, but I am not sold on how it will perform short term (<2 years)

People were saying this a lot about the SSD #10221.  "Its all grey bricks", "tedious build", "too big to display", "box too big", etc, etc

I just ran the latest price guide update and it is now at $711, up almost 80% in the last 6 months.  I say its doing pretty well.  This one will too.

• Like 4

This must be Ed's crowning achievement...he goes all-in on Star Wars Lego sets years ago, accumulates a ton, then builds an army of underlings that wipe out inventory from all retailers as these big retirements come such as SSD and R2D2 (not to mention the modulars).  Is Ed Luke Skywalker or Palpatine?

Neither. In the context of the Order 66 analogy and parallel roles, I would say Mace Windu, except Mace doesn't survive. So, maybe Yoda or Obi-Wan.

The purge has begun. We should all know who is really in control by now. Way too many Anakins around here, though.

This must be Ed's crowning achievement...he goes all-in on Star Wars Lego sets years ago, accumulates a ton, then builds an army of underlings that wipe out inventory from all retailers as these big retirements come such as SSD and R2D2 (not to mention the modulars).  Is Ed Luke Skywalker or Palpatine?

Ed would have to actually sell items for this theory to be true. He has said (or maybe it was Jeff) numerous times that he's a notorious horder, and his profits are on paper.

Perhaps that's him being humble, but i could see it being true. The selling, packing, shipping, mailing, paying fees, is NOT the fun part :)

Edited by mudcatsfan

I have told people for months that there are major sets on the chopping block...and there still are.  I try not to start a buying frenzy until the signs are obvious. 

You had't even had to have any additional information. I know that this is my usual mantra, but if anybody looked at the ratio of new and retired exclusives in the last year(s) should have known that something has to balance it. It is just clever observation and deduction, I was telling the same since January without any hint received. What took people off guard is that LEGO had not done the balancing spread out uniformly but compresses it into these few months.

My personal guess, which is totally irrelevant to anything by the way, is that LEGO did not want to make a move until they figured out a way how to handle resellers in the future.

Edited by inversion
  • Like 3

I wonder if this set will not continue to restock like others such as the Town hall and the haunted house. It will be interesting to start hearing all of the date codes on the seals when people's orders start coming in are they recent or has to set not been made for a while?

One that I ordered from Lego on Oct. 1 came with the seal code of 36R4, similar to those on the latest Haunted Houses and Town Halls.  I'm guessing many recent orders will have something similar.

I wonder if this set will not continue to restock like others such as the Town hall and the haunted house. It will be interesting to start hearing all of the date codes on the seals when people's orders start coming in are they recent or has to set not been made for a while?

I know I've seen at least 38 and possibly later appearing on shelves.

People were saying this a lot about the SSD #10221.  "Its all grey bricks", "tedious build", "too big to display", "box too big", etc, etc

I just ran the latest price guide update and it is now at $711, up almost 80% in the last 6 months.  I say its doing pretty well.  This one will too.

Glad that set is doing well.  Wish I bought more

You had't even had to have any additional information. I know that this is my usual mantra, but if anybody looked at the ratio of new and retired exclusives in the last year(s) should have known that something has to balance it. It is just clever observation and deduction, I was telling the same since January without any hint received. What took people off guard is that LEGO had not done the balancing spread out uniformly but presses it into these few months.

My personal guess, which is totally irrelevant to anything by the way, is that LEGO did not want to make a move until they figured out a way how to handle resellers in the future.

I guess we will all look to you for the forecasts now.

Ed would have to actually sell items for this theory to be true. He has said (or maybe it was Jeff) numerous times that he's a notorious horder, and his profits are on paper.

Perhaps that's him being humble, but i could see it being true. The selling, packing, shipping, mailing, paying fees, is NOT the fun part :)

No Pain, No Gain!

Selling sets is a future endeavor for me.  I don't recommend anyone hoarding 7000+ sets, it can become quite cumbersome.  I might unload some dead wood when Jeff launches the Classifieds in a couple of weeks.  

I agree this will be a good if not great investment. I was trying to tamper expectation. I don't think it will go up 70% immediately like SSD and HH did.

I guess I just have a hard time seeing people paying $400+ for a 12" Lego R2D2.  Look at set #7194 (Yoda).  Yeah, sure it's fetching $350-400 NIB, but it's also 12 years old.  And yes, R2 is a much better looking model, but I'm not sure there is a big market for Lego "busts" of Star Wars figures.  Giant ships like the SSD are different though.   I've seen both R2-D2 and the SSD in person.  The SSD is impressive and looks to be worth $400 (I just never had the nerve to spend that much).  R2 on the other hand just didn't impress me enough at $180.  

Edited by Mathew

I guess I just have a hard time seeing people paying $400+ for a 12" Lego R2D2.  Look at set #7194 (Yoda).  Yeah, sure it's fetching $350-400 NIB, but it's also 12 years old.  And yes, R2 is a much better looking model, but I'm not sure there is a big market for Lego "busts" of Star Wars figures.  Giant ships like the SSD are different though.   I've seen both R2-D2 and the SSD in person.  The SSD is impressive and looks to be worth $400 (I just never had the nerve to spend that much).  R2 on the other hand just didn't impress me enough at $180.  

yodafail.jpg

• Like 5

Until now I never understood why people bought sets for long-term investment right the day they came out. The last couple of weeks have taught me otherwise and I will change my buying habits accordingly: If there is a set you are interested in, go buy it every now and then starting on day 1!

Since a have kind of a (low) fixed limit on each set anyway and buying early does not hurt too much regarding space and this way is a much more relaxing approach to investing - knowing you have at least the minimum of sets you wanted as early as possible.

• Like 3