10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Sales rank for the Sandcrawler on amazon is pretty meaningless right now in my opinion.  The set just appeared at Target and Amazon a couple of months ago after being available only at shop at home since May.  At $300 I doubt too many people have purchased it from amazon since it's been available there.  Everyone who wanted it immediately likely bought from Lego.

Also, Lego just released the set in May.  Why would they put effort and money into designing such a large and detailed set and retire it this quickly?  If the set is not selling well this time next year, then I'd expect it to retire shortly thereafter.

Wow some people like to paint themselves as easy targets...

(There is a difference between reading between the lines and cramming as much paranoid superstitious guesswork as possible between them. Thanks for the 9 pages and counting of entertainment, today, though!)

The reference was simply toward R2 going EOL, but not alone - no doubt in my mind.

But he could very well be the biggest one of them all, when it is said and done.

These are good times my friends, we will look back fondly one day at the end of 2014 and reminisce about the days when no matter what we bought, we were going to make money on it, and yet we were so stressed out because we couldn't buy it all...

Nice chart btw, Spanky.

• Like 1

I bet there were a lot of NEW Amazon account set up today.

That is a dangerous game to play.  Amazon is pretty unforgiving to people who screw around and try to evade its policies.  Personally, getting a few extra copies of a set isn't worth the risk of getting banned for life from Amazon.

• Like 1

OK its the Sandcrawler.

It is sales rank #16,854 on Amazon.

Its another B Wing in sales and going the way of the dodo bird.

Orange sunset as unholy called it.

I think R2 is a much better investment.

That is probably its only chance of why it would be a good investment is if people do not buy it up on retirement either.

The Sandcrawler isn't retiring.  It doesn't sell well because it's expensive.  It was only recently available direct from Amazon and not 3rd party.  My guess is that it sells about as well as the SSD did.

At $300, Lego only has to sell one Sand Crawler for every 4 Santa's Workshops and 3 Winter Village markets, so i can't imagine it ever being on a best selling list.

Its a niche product for a subset of a subset of a subset of fans.

In reality, its probably a gift that they make some of these sets for us. 

If they only stuck to sure thing, most profitable sets, we'd never see beasts like this.

Thank you Lego,

Edited by mudcatsfan
  • Like 2

That is a dangerous game to play.  Amazon is pretty unforgiving to people who screw around and try to evade its policies.  Personally, getting a few extra copies of a set isn't worth the risk of getting banned for life from Amazon.

I agree I do not ever go over amazon limits myself.

I think they track by account, credit card, ship to, and ordering ip address.

If any of them match it is a problem.

The Sandcrawler isn't retiring.  It doesn't sell well because it's expensive.  It was only recently available direct from Amazon and not 3rd party.  My guess is that it sells about as well as the SSD did.

At $300, Lego only has to sell one Sand Crawler for every 4 Santa's Workshops and 3 Winter Village markets, so i can't imagine it ever being on a best selling list.

Its a niche product for a subset of a subset of a subset of fans.

In reality, its probably a gift that they make some of these sets for us. 

If they only stuck to sure thing, most profitable sets, we'd never see beasts like this.

Thank you Lego,

I think Grynn was spot on.  We are all so used to Ed's cryptic messages that rather than seeing it as a confirmation that R2 is going, we tried to find what he was saying next about another set in his words.

On the Sandcrawler let me be clear - I love it. I stood in opening line and was the first person into the Lego B&M to get one on its first day of release.

But it is Sales Rank #16,000 for a $300 set.  The Death Star is #20 for a $400 set.  If it was meant to go to high volume sales wouldn't it be like the Tumbler or some other amazing set?  Even Ewok Village blows it away on sales rank.  The UCS B Wing is sales rank about #30,000.  That makes the Sandcrawler more like a B Wing, less like an R2, DS, EV or several other ones.

Now for all the pages of distractions lets get back to wiping out "ALL" of the R2's.

I think the Sandrcrawler will never be a top seller and may not last a normal cycle. It is around but who knows.

The Sandcrawler will rise in sales rankings as more people find out that it is available directly from Amazon and not an overpriced 3rd party seller.  The sales rank takes the 3rd Party sales in account hence why the UCS B-Wing is right up there with the sand crawler.  

Of course you all do have me agreeing the Sandcrawler is not going and then I look at the brand new Lego Holiday Catalog and what is there but a beautiful picture of the Sandcrawler with R2 D2 and other mini figures and a beautiful clearly sunset picture that is very distinct.

post-1-0-08294100-1415672624_thumb.jpg

Why did Ed choose to use the word "sunset"? hmmm

Separately I know its Amazon sales rank is low BUT really it will never even approach any of the other major popular sets on Amazon IMO 3rd party or Amazon selling or not.  Again I was first in line to get one I just think it is a niche product.