10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I don't understand why there's so much negative energy here :-P

Everybody has to make up his own mind about those buying decissions.

There's really no need to get into a fight about opinions.

Nobody here wants to talk anybody else into buying this set. If you don't want to buy them, there are enough other folks that will appreciate that you didn't.

If mscheaf thinks that TH and R2D2 won't retire there is nothing wrong about it. Nobody here (if there are no higher LEGO employees here...) knows anything about when those sets will really retire.

But it's fair to say that some signs have been there... like the "sold out" status on the homepage.

Also it is >2years old so that's also something that indicates at least that it wouldn't be retiring strangely early.

In the LEGO store they couldn't tell me if it really will retire but they don't have any of them left.

And I think somebody even posted something about an LEGO employee who foretold him that serveal sets HH, TH, ... will retire and R2D2 was included in that list.

(page 22 or 23 in this thread).

So if all this doesn't make your fingers itchy to buy some NOW, then you're a cool player. (ICE cool...)

If you miss this boat, there are several other boats probably.

I myself couldn't believe it myself but I just don't want to miss out on this set, since it has been on my top ranking priority list for some time now.

If there is ONE Star Wars Set where I have high hopes, then it is this one.

(And of course final duel I and II)

I don't understand why there's so much negative energy here :-P

Everybody has to make up his own mind about those buying decissions.

There's really no need to get into a fight about opinions.

Nobody here wants to talk anybody else into buying this set. If you don't want to buy them, there are enough other folks that will appreciate that you didn't.

If mscheaf thinks that TH and R2D2 won't retire there is nothing wrong about it. Nobody here (if there are no higher LEGO employees here...) knows anything about when those sets will really retire.

But it's fair to say that some signs have been there... like the "sold out" status on the homepage.

Also it is >2years old so that's also something that indicates at least that it wouldn't be retiring strangely early.

In the LEGO store they couldn't tell me if it really will retire but they don't have any of them left.

And I think somebody even posted something about an LEGO employee who foretold him that serveal sets HH, TH, ... will retire and R2D2 was included in that list.

(page 22 or 23 in this thread).

So if all this doesn't make your fingers itchy to buy some NOW, then you're a cool player. (ICE cool...)

If you miss this boat, there are several other boats probably.

I myself couldn't believe it myself but I just don't want to miss out on this set, since it has been on my top ranking priority list for some time now.

If there is ONE Star Wars Set where I have high hopes, then it is this one.

(And of course final duel I and II)

The negativity comes from the person in question not just giving their opinion, but essentially implying that everyone else is stupid for buying into believing certain sets are retiring, all the while proving over and over that they actually have no idea what they're talking about.

• Like 5

The same people saying "R2 will be around for a while there is a new SW movie coming out" are probably the same people that were saying there was no way Haunted House would retire/vanish before Halloween.

Few people thought that retiring SSD before the movie was madness (though it is madness that they did). And it was in the catalog

R2D2 did go to OOS 30 days during may promo in US

Edited by No More Monkeys
  • Like 1

Look, I know I don't have any clue about anything, let alone TLG's retirement plans for anything. What I do know is I am a small time investor with only 1 R2 as of this morning. I don't have the capital or space to big a major player, but I like to hold 3-4 of each exclusive. I grabbed a couple R2s this morning because I only had 1 and will be happy to hold as long as it takes. 

Everyone has his/her own strategy. I'm happy with mine. 

• Like 1

Please remember to help support our community.  UCS R2D2 Target, Lego shop@home  and Amazon links are below...

Amazon US

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Star-Wars-10225-R2D2/dp/B007SA1QYO?

Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Creator-10225-SW-R2/dp/B007R3NTTW?tag=brickpicker-21

Target US

http://www.target.com/p/lego-star-wars-r2-d2-10225/-/A-14042379?u=http://www.target.co...08/-/A-14278599http://www.target.co...08/-/A-14278599

Other links.

LEGO: USA | UK | CAN

and more in my signature

• Like 1

I think they are tied to the seal codes with some secret LEGO reference guide.

In the third moon of Shawshank, when the serpent sleeps with the tumbling clown, hold the Staff or Ra to the light, cite the booklet of Exo suit backwards and the EOL dates shall be revealed on the bottom seal.

Ra.jpg

• Like 3

Often times this board operates a lot like a kindergarten soccer/football game with everyone on the field chasing the ball and paying little attention to anything else that is happening around them.  However, to be fair, there haven't been the type of overt indicators of EOL for this set that we've had for other sets like TH, GE, or HH...at least that is until now.

This is quite true (the kindergarden). It was a bit like the LOTR film, the eye was focused on the SSD, TH, GE & HH and R2D2 slipped under... People only realise a set is valuable or worth something once it is gone and no more available.... So much like the human relationships! LOL

And it's started. The horde is unleashed. Another set was is temporarily sold out during xmas shopping season and it's for sure retiring. Along with the other 86 sets next month.

Yeah yeah.. so many thought the same for the SSD and all the other sets mentioned above. But the good thing is we don't need each other's approval to spend our money on a set, one does think is a good investment...