10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Just ordered 4 x R2-D2... Have total of six now. Should I order more?

Yes. Buying this at retail right now would be a steal, let alone getting it at discount. The droid is so iconic it's destined for greatness. There will be people coming into the game 4-5 years from now looking back wishing they had purchased R2D2's when it was in production. I see this set hitting 4-5 times RRP. 5+ years from retirement.

• Like 1

Yes. Buying this at retail right now would be a steal, let alone getting it at discount. The droid is so iconic it's destined for greatness. There will be people coming into the game 4-5 years from now looking back wishing they had purchased R2D2's when it was in production. I see this set hitting 4-5 times RRP. 5+ years from retirement.

If it does, in fact, retire this year, I don't think we'll have to wait 5+ years for those types of gains.  This hasn't been on many people's radar as a likely candidate for retirement and likely hasn't been stocked by resellers in the same way that other sets have.

It's neat that two months ago people would only be ignoring and/or speculating on this set, all other things being equal up to this point.

Now it's lots of speculating, some ignoring, some BUYING. Good stuff.

Is there any precedent for a "pattern" of selling out in Europe before the US?

I can't imagine the temptation to intentionally wreak absolute havoc with the right cryptic comments based on nothing at all, though!

It's neat that two months ago people would only be ignoring and/or speculating on this set, all other things being equal up to this point.

Now it's lots of speculating, some ignoring, some BUYING. Good stuff.

Is there any precedent for a "pattern" of selling out in Europe before the US?

I can't imagine the temptation to intentionally wreak absolute havoc with the right cryptic comments based on nothing at all, though!

Often times this board operates a lot like a kindergarten soccer/football game with everyone on the field chasing the ball and paying little attention to anything else that is happening around them.  However, to be fair, there haven't been the type of overt indicators of EOL for this set that we've had for other sets like TH, GE, or HH...at least that is until now.

The order limit at Target was 8 as of a week ago.  It's 5 now.  That probably doesn't mean anything, but...there you go.

Target lowered their order limits on a number of items over the last week.  This is fairly common for this time of year so I wouldn't read too much into it particularly because, in past years, Target has not reduced the order limits on sets that ended up retiring (e.***., Jabba's Palace last year).

We shall refer to it as "horde effect"

I like to think of it as the Mr. T effect and believe that everyone is following Homer Simpson's sage advice from the Deep Space Homer episode:  

"Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, 'I'll go a little later, I'll go a little later...' And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!"

• Like 1

It's important that the members know that what's happen was in my opinion, exactly the same pattern that we saw on SSD, HH and TH, if you check my message on MF, day after i left my opinion about this retirement soon exactly because has done the same dance, i couldn't imagine that could be 1 day after only! but it was..

And my opinion is just based on everything I read here and the movements that i observe in Shop@Home

But please note, i am talking about Europe where i look at the Lego website constantly . From time to time i visit the USA LEGO Shop at Home and the signs were almost the same but i can't be 100% sure as i am on Europe website.

I think that the question is: When they start to dance between in stock and expected ship date, looks like at some point they resolve to: Do 1 more run, or don't do it.

In case that they don't, maybe they start to receive some back orders to fill the latest orders. And, some of them will be canceled like my SSD order and HH order 3 weeks later.

But always just my 2 cents, i am learning with you all!

And it's started. The horde is unleashed. Another set was is temporarily sold out during xmas shopping season and it's for sure retiring. Along with the other 86 sets next month.

Isn't that pretty much what you said about the Town Hall?  Wait, I have exactly what you said about the Town Hall.

mscheaf, on 04 Oct 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:snapback.png

This set keeps coming back into stock and then going out of stock because of panic buyers. I went to lego store. They had over 20 plus a whole display. They laughed when I asked if it was retired. I left them all on the shelf. They had no ge and said they had not had any for over 9 months and did not expect any more ever. Th is not retiring

So maybe, just possibly, perhaps you don't know everything about everything.

• Like 6

And it's started. The horde is unleashed. Another set was is temporarily sold out during xmas shopping season and it's for sure retiring. Along with the other 86 sets next month.

I don't care if it goes EOL soon or not, I wanted a couple more so I picked one up. I've never been part of the F5 panic crowd.

I'm not sure that anyone has said that "it's for sure retiring."  Rather, we're all engaging in the routine reading of the EOL tea leaves.  Also, although the holiday shopping season has already begun, it is not common for sets that aren't retiring to hit sold out status so early in November.  Temporarily out of stock or backordered is a different story, but North America seems to be the only place where the set hasn't gone to sold out status.  

Isn't that pretty much what you said about the Town Hall?  Wait, I have exactly what you said about the Town Hall.

mscheaf, on 04 Oct 2014 - 11:48 PM, said:snapback.png

So maybe, just possibly, perhaps you don't know everything about everything.

Don't pay any attention to me. I am an idiot. All Lego exclusives are retiring next month. Clearly. Keep on panic buying every single set that goes out of stock for a bit.

Please proceed with your panic buying and piling on of me. It's actually really entertaining.

Edited by mscheaf

When people here are talking about signs and that they didn't see any I'm always wondering what I'm missing...

R2D2 behaved equally to TH etc., only that it didn't vanish while there still was double VIP.

Soon later it went to sold out in europe (which has happend before with TH, etc. just the other way around: here it started int he U.S.).

And yet another sign that you all did not take into consideration:

(^.^)

So all in all those are pretty much the same signs as they've been for TH, etc.

If you're not seeing any signs that's alright with me, but I'm still wondering what signs exactly are you waiting for that did not yet appear...

Edited by Locutus001