10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

• 2 weeks later...

I only look at Ebay EU data and it suggests that this one has average to mediocre growth so far. GE is doing better having started from a lower RRP and HH and TH are trouncing it from equal prices. Will be interesting to see what the film does to its values.

The new film and holiday season will be an excellent 1-2 punch for this in November and December.  I would like to see LEGO tackle a UCS BB-8.  I want one, but only if it can be equipped with power functions.  I want a giant ball of LEGO to chase my cat with:

CEEJZHsUUAAHyG8.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This now a retired set, But I have seen it in the wild, I 'm expecting to reach $1000 NZD by december 18 th

Not much of a horde effect in NZ it seems! I have difficult seeing how prices will go so high if no one is buying them at retail (I assume they are at RRP in the wild), especially in a smaller (but very beautiful) country like yours.

I only look at Ebay EU data and it suggests that this one has average to mediocre growth so far. GE is doing better having started from a lower RRP and HH and TH are trouncing it from equal prices. Will be interesting to see what the film does to its values.

Just getting confused about CAGR displayed from the price guide For EU, R2D2 10225 is 10.37% while GE 10211 is 11.88% This means that growth is approximately the same. However the way CAGR is calculated from the launch time rather than EOL. From the Blog article, it suggest the beginning time is the EOL. So which one is correct???

Has to be launch date which would explain why GE has a similar % despite being worth more and costing less due to its production run being double that of R2.

In any case, CAGR should really be calculated using your own personal buy-in-price and date of purchase. Someone who bought a DS in 2009 for full RRP will not have the same CAGR as someone who got it for 25% off  this year, for instance.

Has to be launch date which would explain why GE has a similar % despite being worth more and costing less due to its production run being double that of R2.

In any case, CAGR should really be calculated using your own personal buy-in-price and date of purchase. Someone who bought a DS in 2009 for full RRP will not have the same CAGR as someone who got it for 25% off  this year, for instance.

Thanks for the clarification. I have recently acquired R2D2s for 12% over MSRP and GEs for 32% over MSRP as I just started Lego investing this year. In your opinion, which one would you think is a better investment with this starting point?

Thanks for the clarification. I have recently acquired R2D2s for 12% over MSRP and GEs for 32% over MSRP as I just started Lego investing this year. In your opinion, which one would you think is a better investment with this starting point?

​Between these 2 investments, I think that you will do better with the R2D2.

​If your market is the Uk then Argos haven´t done you any favours as a lot of folk got R2 very cheap. GE is a good long term hold due to the strong demand for modulars but patience will be a virtue in both cases as there will be a long time to wait for decent ROI on both at those buy-ins.

Yes I am in the UK market. But if your assumption of cheap prices for people getting it cheap from Argos (I could not get any when I tried), then why is it that the CAGR is higher in Uk than EU. You would expect I could get them cheap here in the UK. Most of them I had to buy from the EU as it was cheapest even with the added shipping cost!

Edited by chezzzuk

The pound has strengthened (and fluctuated) a lot in the last 6  months and BP data is converted from original currency to USD by ebay and then back to target currency on a different date by this site´s owner (if I have understood his explanation) so there is a lot of room for fluctuation in non USD datasets. Check the monthly actual sales on Ebay.co.uk or Bricklink in GBP for a more accurate guide and compare with other EU ebay sites in their own currencies (BP EU data is only from Ebay Germany where they have an unexplainable interest in Chima Lion Temples and a more comprehensible lack of love for the Sopwith Camel, for instance)

The EU is probably the weakest R2 data set market as it took many countries a good while to sell out (the last ones here went last month at 200 euros).

• Like 1

The pound has strengthened (and fluctuated) a lot in the last 6  months and BP data is converted from original currency to USD by ebay and then back to target currency on a different date by this site´s owner (if I have understood his explanation) so there is a lot of room for fluctuation in non USD datasets. Check the monthly actual sales on Ebay.co.uk or Bricklink in GBP for a more accurate guide and compare with other EU ebay sites in their own currencies (BP EU data is only from Ebay Germany where they have an unexplainable interest in Chima Lion Temples and a more comprehensible lack of love for the Sopwith Camel, for instance)

The EU is probably the weakest R2 data set market as it took many countries a good while to sell out (the last ones here went last month at 200 euros).

That is very informative. How do you know the last sales were at 200euros (which is MSRP)? Which shop was selling those?

Don't you remember this is a set that was highly inferior not design properly and tons of other problems with it that I was lampooned about regularly last year?

Yes exciter I can be the one ROFL now.  Ha Ha Ha. :)

$750 by Christmas.

​Be nice Trek.  In all seriousness, of all the exclusives that retired last year, this is the one that I can't figure out.  I ended up with 15, and expected a slightly below average return on them.  There are some folks locally I show off all my purchases to, just 'cause we all like legos and I respect their opinions.  This is the first large exclusive where everyone whose opinion I solicited recommended I return the ones I'd already bought and not buy more.  It was unanimous.  I kept them and did buy more, but with serious reservations.  I'm still not sure what the message is here.  'Buy all OT SW exclusives' would mean stocking up on B-Wing and Tantive IV.  More likely, R2 just has more fans than I imagined.  Who'd have thought?  All that love for a rolling trash can that beeps. 

​Be nice Trek.  In all seriousness, of all the exclusives that retired last year, this is the one that I can't figure out.  I ended up with 15, and expected a slightly below average return on them.  There are some folks locally I show off all my purchases to, just 'cause we all like legos and I respect their opinions.  This is the first large exclusive where everyone whose opinion I solicited recommended I return the ones I'd already bought and not buy more.  It was unanimous.  I kept them and did buy more, but with serious reservations.  I'm still not sure what the message is here.  'Buy all OT SW exclusives' would mean stocking up on B-Wing and Tantive IV.  More likely, R2 just has more fans than I imagined.  Who'd have thought?  All that love for a rolling trash can that beeps. 

​A rolling trash can that beeps!!!!  You sir have crossed the line. ;)

• Like 1

​You need to ask different people...

• Like 5

That is very informative. How do you know the last sales were at 200euros (which is MSRP)? Which shop was selling those?

​I walk by that store every week to visit a client. R2 was staring at me out of the window for a good 5 months after retirement but I passed.

I have nothing against this model (or indeed any Lego set that has a good ROI) but being the only big exclusive retired in 2014 that was still available till very recently tends to suggest it isn´t as sought after as TH, HH or GE, to name but three.

Edited by valenciaeric

​And that´s another reason to steer clear of this set in Europe, in my opinion. If the already mediocre European residuals are being propped up by sales to resellers from other zones who missed out on it last year, what does that say about REAL demand for it?

Bricklink shifted a grand total of 6 new units in the last 2 months at an avg price of 260 euros compared with more than 100 GE´s for the same price but RRP of only  150 euros or 46 HH at avg 330 euros for a similar RRP to R2 and let´s not even mention TH figures!

If you missed out on all of the above and are paying catchup, then R2 is  the cheapest to acquire now but I predict that it will be the one of the 4 above sets with the lowest resale value by the end of 2015 in Europe. If Pet Shop retires this year then I can even see it surpassing R2 by end of 2016 too.