10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

I bought my first one on the release date and built it right away to display.  That way I'm not as tempted to ever sell it.  I have 6 more to hold long-term, but like most of you wish I had bought more.  It never seems to be enough when a set is performing well post-retirement but there are just so many sets to invest in.  

I have one more UCS Imperial Shuttle in a beat up box that I'm holding for my personal collection but it gets harder not to sell it as more time passes.  I need to break the seals on it soon.

Edited by zskid00

After consulting a few seasoned investors, I picked up three of these at an average price of $304 USD shipped over the past week.  Prices continue to climb but I'm a buyer at anything less than $325 shipped.  I'm not sure if that will happen again, though.

​I think I'd rather be buying Slave 1's with that extra dough, just sayin'.

• Like 1

​I think I'd rather be buying Slave 1's with that extra dough, just sayin'.

Short term, R2 is the better investment.   By the time the time the Slave I retires, R2 can be $500 or more and be sold and the profits reinvested into multiple Slaves.   

• Like 3

Buy high...sell higher.

​If you said $700 at the time Slave 1 retires, I wouldn't have much rebuttal.  Slave 1 could take a quick jump after retirement, which might make it the better investment at this time.  We're not dealing in absolutes like Anakin Skywalker.

Edited by exciter1

​If you said $700 at the time Slave 1 retires, I wouldn't have much rebuttal.  Slave 1 could take a quick jump after retirement, which might make it the better investment at this time.  We're not dealing in absolutes like Anakin Skywalker.

Hypothetically speaking...if a flipper bought an R2 for $300 today, it is not out of the realm of possibility that he doubles that by next winter in the heart of STAR WARS mania.  It is such a popular character and with no other set like it, he can reach those levels in my opinion.   I do not believe the Slave I will retire next winter, so the opportunity could be there to acquire 3 Slaves from the original $300 in the span of a year.  

• Like 1

Hypothetically speaking...if a flipper bought an R2 for $300 today, it is not out of the realm of possibility that he doubles that by next winter in the heart of STAR WARS mania.  It is such a popular character and with no other set like it, he can reach those levels in my opinion.   I do not believe the Slave I will retire next winter, so the opportunity could be there to acquire 3 Slaves from the original $300 in the span of a year.  

​Now you're saying $600, so I'm starting to get on board.