10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

R2 is tough to predict right now...

Whether he is done or not, I am not risking missing out and am acquiring heavily. If he's done, he's done... if not, it's just another opportunity to acquire more over the course of 2015. Regardless of how much we all "hoard" this set, demand is so extreme and R2 is so popular there will always be a market interested in acquiring him.

I was also of this opinion but Tabbyboy recently released an insider exclusive on HUKD that UCS R2D2 was coming back next year with power functions. Now I am not investing in it anymore. Hope to offload mine before this becomes common knowledge.

• Like 1

I think one issue is setting what your limit is for each set when it comes to $$$ and space.  I know I set goals, but it's still soooo hard to not grab a few more during the frenzy when you see the price instantly going 50% or 100% over retail.  What do you do with these?  I keep telling myself to flip them, but it's all so hard to let go when you think they might double again a year from purchase.

I know folks sometimes still scramble to get one or two of these exclusives at the end.  I've been lucky thus far and have bought early to feel comfortable about not missing out and then just stockpiling more over time.

In the same boat.  I usually want to have 10-12 of what I deem better exclusives.  Anything over that I usually do flip without going under my minimum.  When I do see them pop up again though I still grab some more to replenish the ones I sold.  If I looked at it like potential loss for what it would be down the road I would never sell anything and would probably be broke (its different too when reselling is your full time job vs solely investing your extra income).  Goes back to the volume vs holding a smaller amount.  Sure you could hold 20 or 30 that might hit 400-800 4-7 years down the road or move 50-80 exclusives in a month that net about 50-75 per unit.  With so many sets possibly retiring I like to have some cash flow in the process.  I see lots of people say to many people crack and sell and for just as many of those there are people that refuse to sell anything.  That doesn't always turn out for the best either.  I think there should be a balance across the selling period.  If you buy 30 R2 over its life and sell 10 up front at $75 per profit.  Then another 10 in a year or 2 for $150 profit per.  Your long term ones are paid for without any funds tied up in that investment which puts less financial stress for buying the other retiring exclusives.  

I always scramble at the end, trying to pick up a few more guaranteed retired sets.  Everyone has limits. I understand.  So do I.  I have shifted away form many smaller sets because there are just too many exclusives retiring.  It's unheard of really, such activity with retirements.  I wondering how long the EOL lull will be after the current exclusive exodus ends in 5 or 6 months.  

Its going to be interesting to see how the secondary market holds up with so many big exclusive retirements in a short period of time, especially with another group kind of heading in that direction.  Collectors will have more post retirement choices from the exodus.  There should be a big separation of a few sets than the lesser desired retired sets.  I would imagine some slower growth on the less desirable retirees.  Then like you say possibly a long term without anything retiring and what effect that will have on those sets.  

$260 with free shipping is not making money.

You do not know what someones buy in is or if they bought with promotions or damages.  For me personally all my early released exclusives are bought with box damage as there is no value difference in my sales of them when EOL.  You buy an R2 during the right time with box damage and you can be getting $50-60 off at R2's price point.  So buy in of $120 selling at $260-280 is making plenty of money.

• Like 1

I was also of this opinion but Tabbyboy recently released an insider exclusive on HUKD that UCS R2D2 was coming back next year with power functions. Now I am not investing in it anymore. Hope to offload mine before this becomes common knowledge.

I think it has blinking lights and beeping sound bricks from what I hear.
  • Like 2

Best postings of the day by far. Thanks all for the laugh.

Update: The Prophet is now predicting a licensing deal with Maytag, so on top of the sweet features of blinking lights and a nifty horn, R2 will be pre-programed to clean your fridge and waffle iron.

Kudos to TLG for their commitment to innovation.

Edited by Cross
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

TabbyBoy on HKUD is not me.

Tabby-HUKD IS a troll, but his information is so accurate and humbly relayed that it's irresistible.

It's why I am a paying member of his Lego-blog. Tabby HUKD only provides proven information, and has a great sense of humor and flare for sarcasm. It's just a theory, but the information is so good I think he actually owns the Lego company.  

A R2D2 with power functions, sounds and lights ?

Are you serious or is it sarcasm ?

Because to produce an other R2D2 about the same size as the current one, and which includes these features, I can't imagine it cheaper than $299, considering that $199 for the current R2D2 was a nice deal (good PPP for a SW set).

Bin,

Almost all of today's posts in this thread have been sarcasm, starting with R2 and ending with the idea that there even is a "different" Tabby, or Tabby blog, etc.

This thread de-railed quickly today, but made up for its' off-topicness with an enormous amount of sarcasm and entertainment.  

TabbyBoy is saying "it's not me". Could be true. What are the odds of two trolls of the same name from the UK who both collect LEGO, especially since one of them admitted on this site last year that he only trolls on HUKD and never on this site. LOL My mind is melting. "Could the real TabbyBoy please stand up, Please stand up".  :fie:

What's HUKD anyway? Hot UK Deals?

Exactly. People posts the deals they find online or out shopping. Works OK, the Lego deals however always attract a load of bitchin from grown men who should be working but aren't. I think most are government employees and also Tabby Boy. It can be funny at times, just like here.

Edited by Alfiepops
  • Like 1