10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

Interestingly, TRU.CA removed their R2 listing after selling out of them last week. I can't find in on their website or searching for it from google. I think only one retailer in Canada has these in stock now...and they are going to have four fewer as soon as I send this message!

• Like 1

Just received my 2 separate orders for my R2's from LEGO Shop at Home. This is what I got in both boxes...

I called and they said they will have to call local stores to try and find a replacement. I asked if the set was going to be retired but I could tell "TJ" didnt know what he was talking about. Hopefully they can find 2 and replace these. :(

Anyone had a similar experience from LEGO Shop at Home?

R2 is tough to predict right now...

1. He could be done. It would not be surprising based on how long this set has been out, and that fresh SW sets will be coming in 2015 that will require shelf space. The Slave I is due in January as we all know, and a new UCS will likely arrive on shelves before or when the new movie hits next winter.

2. However, R2 is a great seller and extremely unique; TLG may classify him as a Death Star-type set- a money-maker and one to keep producing. Particularly the case since he will be in the upcoming films, which would greatly re-ignite sales.

3. "Temporarily Out of Stock" could be a production issue, though I doubt this. The Tumbler is not "Temporarily Out of Stock" because of production issues, TLG is simply shipping all Tumblers to Lego stores on the accurate belief doing so avoids accumulation from re-sellers, and gives more folks a fair chance at acquiring one. No matter where the Tumbler is available, it is going to sell- and sell out quickly There is a chance R2 is being treated the same way with the holiday season here and the upcoming films ahead.

Whether he is done or not, I am not risking missing out and am acquiring heavily. If he's done, he's done... if not, it's just another opportunity to acquire more over the course of 2015. Regardless of how much we all "hoard" this set, demand is so extreme and R2 is so popular there will always be a market interested in acquiring him.

• Like 1

Whether he is done or not, I am not risking missing out and am acquiring heavily. If he's done, he's done... if not, it's just another opportunity to acquire more over the course of 2015. Regardless of how much we all "hoard" this set, demand is so extreme and R2 is so popular there will always be a market interested in acquiring him.

This is the point with all of these exclusives.  If a person is trying to micromanage retirement dates, they are missing the opportunity to acquire sets before the hoard devours them.  I know many will tell me about limited space and money, but some of these sets perform so well after EOL, it pays to be safe and buy them before you are monitoring the Stock Tracker Update Page all day.  Toy around timing EOL with a $20 Batman set.  Don't mess around with a R2-D2 or AA.  

• Like 2

This is the point with all of these exclusives.  If a person is trying to micromanage retirement dates, they are missing the opportunity to acquire sets before the hoard devours them.  I know many will tell me about limited space and money, but some of these sets perform so well after EOL, it pays to be safe and buy them before you are monitoring the Stock Tracker Update Page all day.  Toy around timing EOL with a $20 Batman set.  Don't mess around with a R2-D2 or AA.  

I think one issue is setting what your limit is for each set when it comes to $$$ and space.  I know I set goals, but it's still soooo hard to not grab a few more during the frenzy when you see the price instantly going 50% or 100% over retail.  What do you do with these?  I keep telling myself to flip them, but it's all so hard to let go when you think they might double again a year from purchase.

I know folks sometimes still scramble to get one or two of these exclusives at the end.  I've been lucky thus far and have bought early to feel comfortable about not missing out and then just stockpiling more over time.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic but relevant to the discussion..

Some of these sets make the case for finding- any way possible- more storage space. The "rule" (was once) that the stock-market returns 7% a year, essentially doubling your investment every seven years, plus or minus.

We would all be bitching and moaning if we only saw 7% annualized returns on an exclusive set. Show me another investment that does what Lego sets do in value, even just 6 months after acquiring a "retired" badge, and I'll put my money there as well. The joy of all this is that one can approach it casually, and have fun and do well and make money, or one can see how real the potential to make serious money is. Well-researched sets trend in price in only one direction.

I think one issue is setting what your limit is for each set when it comes to $$$ and space.  I know I set goals, but it's still soooo hard to not grab a few more during the frenzy when you see the price instantly going 50% or 100% over retail.  What do you do with these?  I keep telling myself to flip them, but it's all so hard to let go when you think they might double again a year from purchase.

I know folks sometimes still scramble to get one or two of these exclusives at the end.  I've been lucky thus far and have bought early to feel comfortable about not missing out and then just stockpiling more over time.

I always scramble at the end, trying to pick up a few more guaranteed retired sets.  Everyone has limits. I understand.  So do I.  I have shifted away form many smaller sets because there are just too many exclusives retiring.  It's unheard of really, such activity with retirements.  I wondering how long the EOL lull will be after the current exclusive exodus ends in 5 or 6 months.  

I always scramble at the end, trying to pick up a few more guaranteed retired sets.  Everyone has limits. I understand.  So do I.  I have shifted away form many smaller sets because there are just too many exclusives retiring.  It's unheard of really, such activity with retirements.  I wondering how long the EOL lull will be after the current exclusive exodus ends in 5 or 6 months.  

I bet we'll see a few more big sets hit the happy trail at this time next year as well.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised that R2 is underperforming. I picked up one to do a quick flip hoping to get $300. Doesn't look good. However it appears that Amazon may have just ran out of 7965.

Underperforming!?!?!? It's only recently gone OOS and people are still finding them in the wild. It already is 60-100 above MSRP. Now we are getting frustrated sets don't have 100% growth in the first month since OOS.
  • Like 1

I'm kind of surprised that R2 is underperforming. I picked up one to do a quick flip hoping to get $300. Doesn't look good. However it appears that Amazon may have just ran out of 7965.

Underperforming?  Stock is just starting to dry up and you think if it doesn't achieve over 60% return it is underperforming?  What is your benchmark??

I sold one last week for $315 + $20 shipping.  Person paid right away.  I bought this unit 3 days before that at the Lego Store.  That's a GREAT quick flip in my opinion.  I have one more listed on eBay.  I kind of don't want to sell it but if I can get $300 again, I'll be happy.

I do sell globally.  But this wasn't a global sale.  I just ran a 3 day auction and that's what it ended at.  Some design company in Mass. purchased it.  I was very surprised the buyer paid seeing that there were many others on eBay at the time at $250 w/ free shipping.  But it works for me!