Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

I suggest three things that could be added to a set's price page:

-Price per brick - THIS IS ALREADY AVAILABLE

-Price per gram - I WOULD NEED TO COLLECT WEIGHT OF THE SETS. NOT SURE HOW MUCH I WOULD BE ABLE TO GET GOING BACK OVER 10 years

-Parts cost (price of all individual parts added together) - I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ON THIS.  SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

The big question is, what is the value of this to "everyone".  I know its nice to have, but how many people really use this information?  I like it and would like to have it, but I would also like to know if these are nice features for 5% of the people or for 90% of the people.

The big question is, what is the value of this to "everyone".  I know its nice to have, but how many people really use this information?  I like it and would like to have it, but I would also like to know if these are nice features for 5% of the people or for 90% of the people.

Those sound like good features for members who part the sets.  Since I sell NISB sets only, I most likely will not use those features on any consistent basis.

Those sound like good features for members who part the sets.  Since I sell NISB sets only, I most likely will not use those features on any consistent basis.

The price per gram/weight is useful when comparing sets somewhat to see the sets value - I have done this but I always find the sets weights on Amazon.

Parting out the set - I just don't see what the difference is to just clicking the re-brickable button, right?

Would it be possible to make the entirety of a set's history (averages per month) available? like the sales trends graph but for the life of the set. I assume the information exists somewhere. it would be really cool to see and compare sets. for example when the new catwoman set came out the old one plummeted in value. but in a few months we won't be able to see that info. even if the averages per month are not in graph form it would be interesting to see in list form too

Would it be possible to make the entirety of a set's history (averages per month) available? like the sales trends graph but for the life of the set. I assume the information exists somewhere. it would be really cool to see and compare sets. for example when the new catwoman set came out the old one plummeted in value. but in a few months we won't be able to see that info. even if the averages per month are not in graph form it would be interesting to see in list form too

We do not have full histories of all the sets.  We have a little over 2 years worth of data to look at.  You can compare sets if you go to the compare tool and punch in the set numbers you want to compare.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/compare.cfm

Jeff, if BP has the ability to show values of the individual parts ("parts cost" per sauromosis' suggestion), it should be able to show the price guide for individual minifigures as well.  A price guide for minifigs from a set is probably more valuable for most members since minifigs are easier to sell than individual parts (on eBay anyway).

For example, we all know the dwarves from the Hobbit sets are valuable. The price guide for each of them will help track just how valuable they are.

Jeff, if BP has the ability to show values of the individual parts ("parts cost" per sauromosis' suggestion), it should be able to show the price guide for individual minifigures as well.  A price guide for minifigs from a set is probably more valuable for most members since minifigs are easier to sell than individual parts (on eBay anyway).

For example, we all know the dwarves from the Hobbit sets are valuable, the price guide for each of them will help track just how valuable they are.

The problem is, there is no good naming convention for minifigs. We still need to address the collectable minifigs.  The naming is all over the place.  People on ebay or most other sites that auction/sell name minifigs a million ways.  How many Luke Skywalkers are there, etc.  Sets are much easier and they aren't even done well.  People cheat the system by putting in listings like 10197,10185,etc,etc. in hopes to get people looking for modulars.  The listings for parts are horrendous.  It would take massive manual work to do the individual minifigs and parts.  This was going to be something that I would look into more when I am bored an nothing else to do :)

We do not have full histories of all the sets.  We have a little over 2 years worth of data to look at.  You can compare sets if you go to the compare tool and punch in the set numbers you want to compare.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/compare.cfm

that makes sense, except the feature isn't working for me. no drop down menu shows up when i type and nothing shows up when I click submit with the set #s

I'd love to see a "Donate" function as I would gladly donate money (PayPal, for example) from time to time. The service this site provides is well worth it.

Thanks!

I would love to see this, too.

Right now I can offer little in the way of tangible help to others (too green... wait, get it, I'm a frog... I love unintended puns) and we only have 38 Lego items for sale so far in our eBay store so it just doesn't make sense to go the paid advertising route here quite yet (we'd be voted Most Boring Lego Seller Ever), so I would love to be able to pay my way a bit via donation for the help I've already gotten from this excellent site.

I would love to see this, too.

Right now I can offer little in the way of tangible help to others (too green... wait, get it, I'm a frog... I love unintended puns) and we only have 38 Lego items for sale so far in our eBay store so it just doesn't make sense to go the paid advertising route here quite yet (we'd be voted Most Boring Lego Seller Ever), so I would love to be able to pay my way a bit via donation for the help I've already gotten from this excellent site.

Thanks for the offer.  By simply clicking on the Affiliate links to LEGO, eBay, Target, Amazon and the like and buying a LEGO set, we get a small commission that helps pay for the site's bills and new features.  It doesn't cost you a cent and helps us keep the site running.  

-Parts cost (price of all individual parts added together)

That would be a good stat for people who part out sets but how could it be done? Bricklink is the only place where it is possible to find an average of specific parts separately but I have no idea how it could be possible to implement the literal sum of parts in a set at all. It is a good idea for a statistic and could be helpful to a good number of people; I just can't see it being feasible as a added on feature.

Guest eightbrick

Is there a limit on how many Brickpoints you can get for writing a set review?

Usually they give 10 brickpoints per 1000 characters (so for example a 20k review would recieve 200 brickpoints), but earlier when the review contest was still ongoing they said they could offer up to 500 brickpoints for special reviews that can be upgraded to Evaluation Corner articles. Hope that helped ;)

Some observations based on the first days of usage mainly on ipad 2 with OS 6.1:

- ebay rover does not work properly, only sometimes. If it works, loading the page takes long.

- Prices in price history, value breakdown of portfolio: Euro sign (I assume) is not displayed, instead some code.

- valuations are based only on US prices it seems, ability to switch to European / German would make more sense for me

- total amazon prices of third party sellers artificially low as shipping cost not included.

If you look at the 10227 you will realize that total prices are in line with higher prices from ship to country. E.*** there is an offer for one at 160 Euros but with shipping from Italy one has to add about 30 Euros, which is about the same I would pay a German seller. So economic price equilibration works, esp. as the same seller is more expensive in his own country.

Price per gram would be useful in comparing the value of Tower Bridge, with a lot of small slopes, and Sydney Opera House.

addition:

- I could not enter the 853 car chassis. Would be great if it were added to the database.

- It would be great if We could sort the brickfolios like in excel where you can filter and sort on column header cells. It would eg make searching for wrongly entered prices (EU vs US style) easier.

addition:

- I could not enter the 853 car chassis. Would be great if it were added to the database.

- It would be great if We could sort the brickfolios like in excel where you can filter and sort on column header cells. It would eg make searching for wrongly entered prices (EU vs US style) easier.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=853-1

The next version of the Brickfolio will have many more options similar to an Excel Spreadsheet.

Price per gram would be useful in comparing the value of Tower Bridge, with a lot of small slopes, and Sydney Opera House.

This is good and we like it.  Its just a matter of data collection.  Getting the weights to update the sets.  I have some weights from Amazon, but the chances to collect for many of the sets will hard.  I am sure this can be added in.

Some observations based on the first days of usage mainly on ipad 2 with OS 6.1:

- ebay rover does not work properly, only sometimes. If it works, loading the page takes long.

- Prices in price history, value breakdown of portfolio: Euro sign (I assume) is not displayed, instead some code.

- valuations are based only on US prices it seems, ability to switch to European / German would make more sense for me

- total amazon prices of third party sellers artificially low as shipping cost not included.

If you look at the 10227 you will realize that total prices are in line with higher prices from ship to country. E.g there is an offer for one at 160 Euros but with shipping from Italy one has to add about 30 Euros, which is about the same I would pay a German seller. So economic price equilibration works, esp. as the same seller is more expensive in his own country.

I have an iPad 1 & 4 at home, so I will check the first two issues out on them

The ability to use the Brickfolio with values from the other regions we are collecting will be available soon.  This has been talked about a lot.

The Amazon process checks for listing from the main Amazon shop first.  If not, it will grab the cheapest from a third party.  The Amazon API i use does not include shipping prices, they don't offer it at all. Shipping "could" always be different for every user if it is not a flat rate.  

This is good and we like it.  Its just a matter of data collection.  Getting the weights to update the sets.  I have some weights from Amazon, but the chances to collect for many of the sets will hard.  I am sure this can be added in.

When I have to find the weights for some of the sets I use Brickset.com. It usually gives the weights for most of the sets.