Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

Please don't hurt yourself.  Take a look again.  There are two ways to see your sets in the overall.  If you type 3 digits of the set or start typing the set name, you will see it autodisplay if it finds it.  Or you just type in the search like 101, hit enter and it should show you the sets you have that include 101 in the set number.  Let me know if you are seeing that now.

Ahhh that works... sort of :)

For example 9474, I know I have 3 of these.

If I type 947... and wait for it to bring up the set info, select it... it works.

If I type 9474 and press enter, I get the whole list.

So basically I have to be patient? Oh dear...... xD

I am going to sound like such a user, but I started getting into the habit of hitting the down arrow key after I start a search. I think it's just taking my mind of the fetch delay but it usually pops up a few seconds later.

When I was doing support when people got frustrated with delays I used to tell them to keep hitting the shift key, it was a secret built in IT thing that let the computer know you are in a hurry and it will process faster. HAHA @ users.

I am going to sound like such a user, but I started getting into the habit of hitting the down arrow key after I start a search. I think it's just taking my mind of the fetch delay but it usually pops up a few seconds later.

When I was doing support when people got frustrated with delays I used to tell them to keep hitting the shift key, it was a secret built in IT thing that let the computer know you are in a hurry and it will process faster. HAHA @ users.

hehe, hit it more than 5 or 8 times on Windows and you are in trouble :D Your sticky keys get switched on  :startle:

1 thing I would love to be as option as soon as possible.

to be able to have 2 separate brickfolios

1 for investing

1 for personal collection

That was I dont get data mixed up :P

Just a thought!

I will get to this, but honestly its not in my Top 10 list of need to get done right away.  I really think I have only received my 2 or 3 questions/requests on this.  There are quite a few other things we want to build/integrate that will be much more impactful for pretty much everyone.  It is something I will add into the system, but it will be down the road.

One thing. When I am in the home page and click on the Comments link of Evaluation Corner articles, they take me to an error page (the link seems to be broken). When I click the actual article title it's working fine.

Not a priority, but something you may want to be aware of if you are not already.

Thats fixed

Hi, I just checked out the Mods/Admin list to see who the new mods were (congrats to Gromlin and Quacs!!) and I noticed a admin named Adriano. I don't remember anyone by that name, and am just wondering if it was a test by you guys or if he is an actual admin.

I was wondering the same thing.

Guest eightbrick

I realize that your to-do list is probably a thousand pages long already, but I thought I should add this:

On the Reviews page, there is the section for highest rated sets. I find (not to discredit reviewers of such sets) that some sets are receiving undeserved attention there because they have been reviewed by one person who gave it a high mark. The purpose of the highest rated sets section, I am assuming is to show what the community of reviewers in general, not one person, views as the best sets. A simple feature (well, I probably shouldn't say simple because I have no idea how much programming you would have to do for this) such as "to be on the highest rated set list, it must be reviewed by at least 3-4 people" would prevent this. I would like to use this feature both as a leisure information and investment device, so it would be great if you addressed this, but if it is too much for you, that's fine.

I realize that your to-do list is probably a thousand pages long already, but I thought I should add this:

On the Reviews page, there is the section for highest rated sets. I find (not to discredit reviewers of such sets) that some sets are receiving undeserved attention there because they have been reviewed by one person who gave it a high mark. The purpose of the highest rated sets section, I am assuming is to show what the community of reviewers in general, not one person, views as the best sets. A simple feature (well, I probably shouldn't say simple because I have no idea how much programming you would have to do for this) such as "to be on the highest rated set list, it must be reviewed by at least 3-4 people" would prevent this. I would like to use this feature both as a leisure information and investment device, so it would be great if you addressed this, but if it is too much for you, that's fine.

It is an issue that will rectify itself with time and more reviews.  

Guest eightbrick

It is an issue that will rectify itself with time and more reviews.  

Not to be a smart-alec, but I don't think anyone is going to review 7760 Diesel Shunter Locomotive - a set from 1980 that has received 1 new eBay listing since data collection started, again (sorry bier, just as an example, I think it's a great set, but not sure if it deserves that rating).

But yes, I guess it's a lot easier to just ignore them rather than make more work for you and Jeff... so you can scratch that off your list. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

Jeff/Ed

Not to rush you but just thinking if i have to hold for a ''long'' time to get classifieds...

I got about 2 used Orc forges and some figures/wargs etc. to sell and would prefer to do it on classifieds so im just asking if you reckon it will take longer than 2 months to go live?

Alcarin- every minute they spend answering the question, "when will it be ready?" is one less minute they're spending getting it ready. Be cool :)

Besides, don't you see the irony in you asking a question that's already been asked repeatedly?

Its quite different asking 5 times if set XXXX is good investment or asking for continuesly changing matter.

We wont hold noone to his word/date but getting a ''it should be done by end of september hopefully'' will make me decide what to do with my ''for sale'' parts/inventory.

I hate giving 10% to ebay :D

Jeff/Ed

Not to rush you but just thinking if i have to hold for a ''long'' time to get classifieds...

I got about 2 used Orc forges and some figures/wargs etc. to sell and would prefer to do it on classifieds so im just asking if you reckon it will take longer than 2 months to go live?

I would like to hope it will be done sooner than 2 months, but there are so many different dynamics at play right now.  The whole forum conversion took us in a slightly different direction than our original plan.  This is to your benefit and every LEGO fan out there to be quite honest.  The new forums and blogs put more of an emphasis on the Brickpoints system, which we hope will enable many members to post items with Brickpoints, instead of money.  While real money will still play a factor for many members, the active Brickpicker member might be able to post quite a few items for FREE through the use of Brickpoints.  This is our plan, but until it comes to fruition, I am making zero promises.  There are multiple people working on this and the final product has yet to be finished.  After a lengthy discussion yesterday, Jeff and I have a pretty good handle on what we want to accomplish with the Brick Classifieds.  

I know I sound like a broken record and maybe it would have been wiser to keep members out of the loop until it was ready to go, but that is water under the bridge as they say.  What I can tell you is Jeff is busting his butt to give people more and more features.  He doesn't want a medal or anything like that, but I'm just telling you from an insider's view point that looking at computer code 7 days a week turns your brain to mush.  So patience is all we ask at this point...

Not to be a smart-alec, but I don't think anyone is going to review 7760 Diesel Shunter Locomotive - a set from 1980 that has received 1 new eBay listing since data collection started, again (sorry bier, just as an example, I think it's a great set, but not sure if it deserves that rating).

But yes, I guess it's a lot easier to just ignore them rather than make more work for you and Jeff... so you can scratch that off your list. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

It was modified to where a set must have at least three reviews in order to rank. On the same note...If you feel a set that was reviewed was out of line, submit one yourself. It helps when more people leave reviews. Thanks for pointing this out.

Guest eightbrick

it was modified to where a set must have at least three reviews in order to rank. On the same note...If you feel a set that was reviewed was out of line, submit one yourself. It helps when more people leave reviews.

Wow, thanks! I might start reviewing again, because I haven't really contributed to the site recently.

I would like to hope it will be done sooner than 2 months, but there are so many different dynamics at play right now.  The whole forum conversion took us in a slightly different direction than our original plan.  This is to your benefit and every LEGO fan out there to be quite honest.  The new forums and blogs put more of an emphasis on the Brickpoints system, which we hope will enable many members to post items with Brickpoints, instead of money.  While real money will still play a factor for many members, the active Brickpicker member might be able to post quite a few items for FREE through the use of Brickpoints.  This is our plan, but until it comes to fruition, I am making zero promises.  There are multiple people working on this and the final product has yet to be finished.  After a lengthy discussion yesterday, Jeff and I have a pretty good handle on what we want to accomplish with the Brick Classifieds.  

I know I sound like a broken record and maybe it would have been wiser to keep members out of the loop until it was ready to go, but that is water under the bridge as they say.  What I can tell you is Jeff is busting his butt to give people more and more features.  He doesn't want a medal or anything like that, but I'm just telling you from an insider's view point that looking at computer code 7 days a week turns your brain to mush.  So patience is all we ask at this point...

Thats great to hear.

But I see 1 potential problem about using brickpoints for listings. While originally its great, you will need an ''army'' of mods who can remove threads and deduct points...

I would hate having a spammed forum with ridiculous threads without BP removed.

Its an amazing idea though! I support and will patiently wait :D

Since for some reason I cannot edit my own post above (feel free to merge them together)

I want to ask what is the reason behind naming ''gear'' to Chess sets in Brickfolio overview?

(you can also see it in my sig)

Chess sets are under the board game sub category which is under the gear category.  Its the same setup as Brickset

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=43&subtheme=270