Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

Due to the amount of updates it can take a long time for all of them to filter through. I noticed last night that some products showed Nov, others Jan. Give it a day or two and it will catch up :)

It is a long process, it takes me a few days to prepare everything, run through them, etc.  This current update is over 600,000 listings and running through 10,000+ listings in the DB takes a while, that's why you would see some that were Nov, then some Jan.  Like Grolim said, i will try to get updates in there every so often, instead of waiting for the full month to keep it a little closer to current.  Like I told him, you would think with the money we pay for this, it would be easy, but there is always data missing.  I can tell you as of right now, I don't have access to Jan 11,12.  So it will take days for me to get them to put that together for us and have it on our bin for me to pick up.  Not sure why it's so hard, but it is.  I am going to stop replying to many of these questions in the future because its been talked about so many times through this thread and others.  But for those that are new, I basically just get raw data files that need to be parsed, cleaned, etc.  They do have an API, but that would be 2x as expensive and even more delayed because they need to prepare all the files for all of ebay, not just this category.  The chances for me to get the data to you within the first week of the month are slim to none unless they fix some of the issues to help out their clients and I have been talking to them for a while about that, but change is slow.

It is a long process, it takes me a few days to prepare everything, run through them, etc.  This current update is over 600,000 listings and running through 10,000+ listings in the DB takes a while, that's why you would see some that were Nov, then some Jan.  Like Grolim said, i will try to get updates in there every so often, instead of waiting for the full month to keep it a little closer to current.  Like I told him, you would think with the money we pay for this, it would be easy, but there is always data missing.  I can tell you as of right now, I don't have access to Jan 11,12.  So it will take days for me to get them to put that together for us and have it on our bin for me to pick up.  Not sure why it's so hard, but it is.  I am going to stop replying to many of these questions in the future because its been talked about so many times through this thread and others.  But for those that are new, I basically just get raw data files that need to be parsed, cleaned, etc.  They do have an API, but that would be 2x as expensive and even more delayed because they need to prepare all the files for all of ebay, not just this category.  The chances for me to get the data to you within the first week of the month are slim to none unless they fix some of the issues to help out their clients and I have been talking to them for a while about that, but change is slow.

Jeff,

In the olden days - ie about 12 months ago - there used to be a banner saying to when the prices were updated.

I think it was on the homepage. However would it be something that could be added to each product? - eg This product has data up to MM/DD.

If this is too big a change what about a generic one saying BP price guide up to MM/DD similar to the old one.

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else or specific to my account but I am unable to enter Princess themed sets in to my brickfolio. I added Cinderella's Castle 41055 several times but it never shows up in my brickfolio.

The exact same happens when I enter my junior set - 10672. Doesn't appear in my brickfolio per se but does show on the side in the snapshot. I believe it has to do with no sales data being loaded against it. Also when will the actual junior line be added to the site? It seems to fall under castle

I am enjoying the forums app. I would imagine that a brickfolio app would make my lego investing complete.

.... And quite possibly make my life complete :)

And the cherry on top for the brickfolio app would be a barcode scanner

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Sure, I would like to get that to you as well.  Takes money though.  I have been talking to devs about this, but to get an app that I would be proud to put out there for both iPhone and Android, we are looking at an initial investment of at least $15k-$20k.  This is for creating true native apps for just these two platforms. 

Jeff, Thank you for all you do.  I have more of a question I am assuming due to lack of understanding on my part than anything.  The price guide values are different than the values in the brick folio.  Do the brickfolio values ever catch up?  Or will the brickfolio always lag the price guide?  I looked for this question elsewhere but could not find it.  Thanks in advance.

The Brickfolio is currently based on the last FULL month of data.  So that would be Decembers numbers.  The little extra data was to try and keep the price guide up to date or a little ahead of the game because of the 2.5 billion emails from people that tell us we are always wrong because they are selling on Amazon and eBay for this or that.  So currently your brickfolio is based off the December numbers.  If it bothers that many people than I will go back to waiting until the I have a full month of data and just do it one month at a time which is what I may still do anyhow to avoid any confusion.

The Brickfolio is currently based on the last FULL month of data.  So that would be Decembers numbers.  The little extra data was to try and keep the price guide up to date or a little ahead of the game because of the 2.5 billion emails from people that tell us we are always wrong because they are selling on Amazon and eBay for this or that.  So currently your brickfolio is based off the December numbers.  If it bothers that many people than I will go back to waiting until the I have a full month of data and just do it one month at a time which is what I may still do anyhow to avoid any confusion.

Thanks for the info.  I don't think it is a problem.  I figured that might be the case just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything.  A pretty interesting trend on the exclusives.  I think due to low or no inventory for a bit.  Most of them that are not retired moved up into January from December.  I htough it would be the other way around.

As with everything on the site, it is a work in progress. The current forums are functional, but have room to improve and grow. We are always adding new features and improved image options will be addressed at some point.

When you refer to "improved image options," can that also include images of the sets in the forums?  I love this site and all the constant changes being made, but I would really love to see a set that some is talking about as an image rather than just a set #.  For example, this is from "The Whole is Greater" article:               " Sure enough, the three sets I have parted out so far - 70723, 70724, 70725 require the opening of 3, 4, and 4 bags respectively.

I do not have a ton of older sets to compare it to now, since most of them are now retired or not worth parting out - but I did notice some more: The 9468 Vampyre Castle does not require more than one bag opened nor does the 10228 Haunted House.

I know most people on this site are Lego veterans, but what about those newcomers?  At least (to me) I believe it to be beneficial if I typed in set 10179-1, my post would show that set number plus even a small JPG of what I was talking about.  This would be especially useful on older sets, or very popular sets.  Just a thought though - not sure if anyone else really agrees, or if it's too much for the website to handle, or whatever.

Thanks for listening to all our suggestions tho!

Sorry to join this discussion so late in the game.
Don't know if my ideas has been said before, if so, just ignore it.
In regards to the Brickfolio, here are some of my suggestions:

1.) Avg Cost configurator + Running set qty count built into each set line item. (as we keep buying the same set but at different times, we are always getting different prices, retailer, and dates along the way)
Instead of adding more and more line items to differentiate cost, date and qty, I go into edit and update the qty and the avg cost each and everytime.  Then I keep notes to where, when, how much and how many.

Would be nice to have some kind of edit where you keep adding and the final outcome would adjust accordingly.

2.) Target sell Price Tab:  Have a Tab for your targeted "Sell" price, When this is reached, it will highlight the set or alerts you via the new app.

3.) Continuation of Collection Page with "Sort by" Tab:  Currently each page contains 30 sets, I would like to see it as just one page that keeps on running downwards ( you can make the height smaller).  Which leads to me my other suggestion, "Sort by" Tab.  We can then Sort them by Price, qty, Total value etc....

We can then see them from our own different perspectives.

Thanks

When you refer to "improved image options," can that also include images of the sets in the forums?  I love this site and all the constant changes being made, but I would really love to see a set that some is talking about as an image rather than just a set #.  For example, this is from "The Whole is Greater" article:               " Sure enough, the three sets I have parted out so far - 70723, 70724, 70725 require the opening of 3, 4, and 4 bags respectively.

I do not have a ton of older sets to compare it to now, since most of them are now retired or not worth parting out - but I did notice some more: The 9468 Vampyre Castle does not require more than one bag opened nor does the 10228 Haunted House.

I know most people on this site are Lego veterans, but what about those newcomers?  At least (to me) I believe it to be beneficial if I typed in set 10179-1, my post would show that set number plus even a small JPG of what I was talking about.  This would be especially useful on older sets, or very popular sets.  Just a thought though - not sure if anyone else really agrees, or if it's too much for the website to handle, or whatever.

Thanks for listening to all our suggestions tho!

Hello.  With all due respect, what you ask for is entirely possible...if we had 10 people working for free that would be able to buy every LEGO set and take pictures of the bags and contents before being built.  See my point?  There are many wonderful things we would like to do or add, but it all takes money and time.  This sort of issue could be done a volunteer basis, but Jeff would have to come up with some code to enable members to submit pictures and then someone needs to approve them.  Unfortunately, Jeff and I have day jobs that pay take priority over the site, so this sort of info would be neat to collect and aggregate, but just not practical to implement.

Hello.  With all due respect, what you ask for is entirely possible...if we had 10 people working for free that would be able to buy every LEGO set and take pictures of the bags and contents before being built.  See my point?  There are many wonderful things we would like to do or add, but it all takes money and time.  This sort of issue could be done a volunteer basis, but Jeff would have to come up with some code to enable members to submit pictures and then someone needs to approve them.  Unfortunately, Jeff and I have day jobs that pay take priority over the site, so this sort of info would be neat to collect and aggregate, but just not practical to implement.

I am not sure if they were talking about taking pictures of everything.  I think they were asking if there was a way to reference a set when its mentioned.  There probably can be a way to do something where if people reference a set in their post like #10179-1, we can have it be a link and if you hover over it, it will query the database and show an image with a few details.  This is a good idea, but the issue is, will people actually format it correctly.  Too many people will just do 10179 or USC MF or Death Star, etc.  Everyone will not reference it like that.  If this is what you are looking for, I will see what can be done, but will it be used to its fullest potential?

• Like 1