Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

I just posted this in another thread, but I'm going to propose it here as well so it gets seen.

My gut feeling is LEGO is screwing with investors/resellers by doing this. Remember when someone suggested having a paid portion of this site so that not everybody could access information. I feel as if LEGO employees just lurk here and do not contribute to the forums. What if, instead of a paid portion of the site (which I am against) there is a portion of the forums that can only be entered when one reaches a certain level or number of posts. This would encourage people to participate in discussion and also prevent "lurkers" from finding out information without returning anything. Plus it would be free.

I just posted this in another thread, but I'm going to propose it here as well so it gets seen.

Hmm, what would stop LEGO from having one of their employees from paying a cheap fee so that they have access to the same information or private area.  :)

One day if there is a pay for service, it will be because of features on the site for more advanced things.  There is still plenty of data we can share.  The money could then be used to buy more data for other regions of the globe, etc.

I would love to see a Brickpicker app come out!! Anyone else agree??

There are quite a few posts on Brickpicker app in the forum, we want one too, its just a time thing or even if we were to pay to have one built to save me from building it, it would cost quite a chunk of change.

Hmm, what would stop LEGO from having one of their employees from paying a cheap fee so that they have access to the same information or private area.  :)

One day if there is a pay for service, it will be because of features on the site for more advanced things.  There is still plenty of data we can share.  The money could then be used to buy more data for other regions of the globe, etc.

No no, you misunderstood. It would not be a pay service. The locked portion of the forum would only become accessible after they post a certain amount. For example after somebody become a Brick Troller they could get access to that part of the forum.

No no, you misunderstood. It would not be a pay service. The locked portion of the forum would only become accessible after they post a certain amount. For example after somebody become a Brick Troller they could get access to that part of the forum.

This would solve so many problems while remaining free, giving people an incentive to post and stay involved, and allowing more serious members of brickpicker a more intimate area to chat.

This would solve so many problems while remaining free, giving people an incentive to post and stay involved, and allowing more serious members of brickpicker a more intimate area to chat.

Ok, I see what you are getting at, but I really don't care much for segregating the groups of people.  This is a community.  People are supposed to learn from one another.  The value of the site would go way down for new members if they are not able to see what's posted in this "exclusive" forum.  Think of some members we have out there that don't post much.  For example Jason from the Brick Show, Huw from Brickset, Nathan from Rebrickable, Dr Dave from Brickset and GimmeLego.  These guys are leaders in the community and if they are not able to get in because they don't post here often, its not fair and we are eliminating possible really good input.   I have no idea who might register tomorrow, but it could some really great LEGO fanatics, and to think they would not be able to see the "other" content would be a waste and could cause them to not come back.

Also if someone posts a lot, it does not make them all quality posts, or serious ones.  Mos Eisley does not post a lot but I will take his words of wisdom over others that post more often.

Ok, I see what you are getting at, but I really don't care much for segregating the groups of people.  This is a community.  People are supposed to learn from one another.  The value of the site would go way down for new members if they are not able to see what's posted in this "exclusive" forum.  Think of some members we have out there that don't post much.  For example Jason from the Brick Show, Huw from Brickset, Nathan from Rebrickable, Dr Dave from Brickset and GimmeLego.  These guys are leaders in the community and if they are not able to get in because they don't post here often, its not fair and we are eliminating possible really good input.   I have no idea who might register tomorrow, but it could some really great LEGO fanatics, and to think they would not be able to see the "other" content would be a waste and could cause them to not come back.

Oh I totally understand that point of view. I was just trying to think of a way to solve the problem of having people who can affect the market from finding information while also staying free to all members.

LEGO can have representatives right now posting on this or other LEGO forums and we would never know.  What's with all the Cloak and Dagger stuff?  If all the good forum posters are in a special area, who will post in the regular area?  I think people need to realize this is the internet and there will be quality posts and threads among the average or subpar information.  You never know when one of the forum spammers comes up with a great deal or idea.  

LEGO can have representatives right now posting on this or other LEGO forums and we would never know. What's with all the Cloak and Dagger stuff? If all the good forum posters are in a special area, who will post in the regular area? I think people need to realize this is the internet and there will be quality posts and threads among the average or subpar information. You never know when one of the forum spammers comes up with a great deal or idea.

It wouldn't stop members from participating in both styles of the forum. I for one would value each for different reasons.

Also if someone posts a lot, it does not make them all quality posts, or serious ones.  Mos Eisley does not post a lot but I will take his words of wisdom over others that post more often.

True that Jeff...

but i must say I would agree with Exobro about post limit for Brick classifieds...

Quite honestly making 50 posts is not hard.... or making it 10 like referral. 

But im ok with as it is also, its just a thought.

True that Jeff...

but i must say I would agree with Exobro about post limit for Brick classifieds...

BrickClassifieds is its own area and has nothing to do with the forum, so there will be no forum restrictions on that.  

True that Jeff...

I agree with every thing just said. I see Jeff and Ed's point very clearly and I was just throwing out an idea that I think both the site and members could benefit from.

I agree with every thing just said. I see Jeff and Ed's point very clearly and I was just throwing out an idea that I think both the site and members could benefit from.

Yeh on Eurobricks you cannot open thread in trading/selling area (subforum) until you do not reach 100 posts.

So some sites do use stuff like you suggested.

Yeh on Eurobricks you cannot open thread in trading/selling area (subforum) until you do not reach 100 posts.

So some sites do use stuff like you suggested.

As we have stated before, reputation points and post counts will help give a little more assurance at the onset of the Classifieds, but that will not stop some members with high post counts from being poor sellers/buyers.  Only a track record of positive transactions will do that.  

As we have stated before, reputation points and post counts will help give a little more assurance at the onset of the Classifieds, but that will not stop some members with high post counts from being poor sellers/buyers.  Only a track record of positive transactions will do that.  

I agree ;)

I have an iPad 1 & 4 at home, so I will check the first two issues out on them

The ability to use the Brickfolio with values from the other regions we are collecting will be available soon.  This has been talked about a lot.

The Amazon process checks for listing from the main Amazon shop first.  If not, it will grab the cheapest from a third party.  The Amazon API i use does not include shipping prices, they don't offer it at all. Shipping "could" always be different for every user if it is not a flat rate.

I use my iPad mostly when I am at home and I would say 95% of everything works ok. Which is about average for most websites.

I read a lot of the posts via my email notifications. The main issue I have is when I click on the link from the email it takes me to the last looked at post on the thread. For example here it took me to post 608 on this thread when I wanted 774 which is the one I am answering. Is there a way to go directly to the thread post when you click the link from an email notification?

I have worked out the nuances when I am on the PC (with Jeff's help) but this last one is frustating.

I use my iPad mostly when I am at home and I would say 95% of everything works ok. Which is about average for most websites.

I read a lot of the posts via my email notifications. The main issue I have is when I click on the link from the email it takes me to the last looked at post on the thread. For example here it took me to post 608 on this thread when I wanted 774 which is the one I am answering. Is there a way to go directly to the thread post when you click the link from an email notification?

I have worked out the nuances when I am on the PC (with Jeff's help) but this last one is frustating.

This is something you will either love or hate.  It is a response to the topic, not necessarily your post.  So it will take you to where you last left off so that you can follow the conversation.  Personally I think this is smart.  Skipping to the end doesn't always make the best sense.  You may lose what is going on if it is an active topic.  This is not something I can necessarily change, it is in the core of the forum software.  I can make suggestions with them to offer for personal preferences on how you want to navigate.

This is good and we like it.  Its just a matter of data collection.  Getting the weights to update the sets.  I have some weights from Amazon, but the chances to collect for many of the sets will hard.  I am sure this can be added in.

I find Bricklink to have the most accurate set weights available.  I have gathered all the weights for Star Wars, Ninjago, and LOTR/Hobbit if that would help start things off?

This is something you will either love or hate.  It is a response to the topic, not necessarily your post.  So it will take you to where you last left off so that you can follow the conversation.  Personally I think this is smart.  Skipping to the end doesn't always make the best sense.  You may lose what is going on if it is an active topic.  This is not something I can necessarily change, it is in the core of the forum software.  I can make suggestions with them to offer for personal preferences on how you want to navigate.

I vote hate :)

Seriously though if you could suggest it to them for the next software iteration it would be appreciated. For people who use multiple PCs to access the site or like to read topic replies on their email it is an annoyance. And it's more noticeable because the 'old' forums did not do this.

Back to iPad quirks the emoticons icons are not available to choose, you have to remember the codes: :):(;) ;P :jig: well that's my repertoire.

We were just testing it.  Not enough members used it to make it worth our while.

It was fun for a while but I couldn't really keep up with that and the forums and the blogs and work AND.... (You see what I'm gettin' at here.)

Still, it was pretty cool talking with everyone in real time.