Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

Chess sets are under the board game sub category which is under the gear category.  Its the same setup as Brickset

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=43&subtheme=270

Interesting...  Im not native English speaker but for me Gear was always the gear in Vehicles :P or Gear from Soldiers etc...

I know it has tons of meaning just find it kinda weird to myself categorizing it as Gear Ill check gear meaning right away :D

Interesting the hit the Star Wars theme took this month when your Brickfolio includes several B-Wing and Jabba's Palace.

A little teaser for the community (although admittedly this is a bit of a threadjack) - there will be a Blog article coming soon on this very subject.  Keep an eye peeled for it over the next couple of days...

• Like 1

Thats great to hear.

But I see 1 potential problem about using brickpoints for listings. While originally its great, you will need an ''army'' of mods who can remove threads and deduct points...

I would hate having a spammed forum with ridiculous threads without BP removed.

Its an amazing idea though! I support and will patiently wait :D

That's why you only get one point per forum post.  It will take more to post an item than one Brickpoint.  The Brick Classifieds is a way to reward active Brickpicker members.  Approximately one Brickpoint per dollar of item advertised is the plan on lower priced items and less than one Brickpoint per dollar advertised for higher priced items.  We will see how it works out. 

Guest eightbrick

That's why you only get one point per forum post.  It will take more to post an item than one Brickpoint.  The Brick Classifieds is a way to reward active Brickpicker members.  Approximately one Brickpoint per dollar of item advertised is the plan on lower priced items and less than one Brickpoint per dollar advertised for higher priced items.  We will see how it works out. 

Sort of random question, but with the release of Brick Classifieds, will you finally start selling Ed? Or are you going to wait a little (lot) longer?

Guest eightbrick

I know you addressed this earlier for the Brickpoints, but how do we members know how many brickpoints we have from the review contest after June 1?

Your Brickpoint amount is listed on your profile under "Brickpoints". I think they are still working on updating the BP log. (You have 1200 as I post this)

What does the "Best Answerer" label in Member Stats mean? I notice that Jeff and Quacs got it.

That would be a new feature that Jeff was interesting in testing. Basically, what it does is allow for something similar to Yahoo Answers where members would be able to post questions and then decide which member answered most effectively by giving them the Best Answer denomination. At this point I am not sure about when or even if this is going to actually be implemented in the near future. What you see in the Member Stats were just a couple of tests.

Jeff is tracking the review Brickpoints separately until a more all inclusive Brickpoints tally system is developed that is similar to the system that was in place with the original forums.  At some point, we will explain the entire Brickpoints system with more detail and clarity.

I just started having a problem last night with getting embedded videos to play at all. I can see the preview image, title at the top, and 'play' button in the middle, but I cannot see the typical time duration bar across the bottom and when I click the play button the video area goes blank and acts like an empty void on the screen. If I go to the youtube page, the video loads up and plays there yet not when embedded here.

I also noticied that just posting the video link doesn't convert into an embedded video like before. Instead it turns into a hypertext link. Now what is wierd about that is when I paste the link in 'regular text' mode, it will turn into a hypertext link automatically, but if I post the video link while in 'basic text' mode, it stays as simple text and will then convert into an embedded video when I hit the "Post" button.

I updated my flash player a week or so ago but wonder if I need to do it again. The video works on youtube but not here at the moment for me.

Edited by TheOrcKing
Videos work as they should again. Thanks, Jeff.

The Brickfolio has not been converted to non-American currencies as of yet.  Jeff will do so when we have enough non-American set data to do so.  What you are seeing in the American eBay sold data converted to GBPs, Euros or whatever.  This will be addressed in the near future.

Thanks Ed, it's not usually noticeable, except that 10227 suddenly has a huge UK/USA price difference.

Anybody else notice the site is hardly up ~midnight est the last 3 days. Page loads take a full minute or time out. It's the site-- not my connection/device.

How about a PayPal link for us to donate...if that will help server/uptime and speeds?

Also...can someone post a quick tutorial on how to post amazon deals through bp? I notice my posts are always corrected for it...but I would do it if I knew how.

Anybody else notice the site is hardly up ~midnight est the last 3 days. Page loads take a full minute or time out. It's the site-- not my connection/device.

How about a PayPal link for us to donate...if that will help server/uptime and speeds?

Also...can someone post a quick tutorial on how to post amazon deals through bp? I notice my posts are always corrected for it...but I would do it if I knew how.

Thanks for the offer.  The servers are sufficient at this time.  There could be various reasons for the issues.  Servers resetting.  Site maintenance.  Bad data.  Etc..As for the Amazon listings, wait for the upcoming Brick Classifieds to launch before trying to post items.  Thanks.

If the server goes down around that time, its either me, or my web host installing patches/updates to the servers.  I agree to a time frame with them on when they can manage it.  I obviously try to keep it to a minimum and I always don't get an alert from them if they do install something.  If I know it will be a prolonged period of time, I will post a message for people to see that I am doing something. The site has dedicated servers for the web and database side.  It's not on a $29/month plan, I can promise you that :)  Thank you for the offer.

Thanks for the offer.  The servers are sufficient at this time.  There could be various reasons for the issues.  Servers resetting.  Site maintenance.  Bad data.  Etc..As for the Amazon listings, wait for the upcoming Brick Classifieds to launch before trying to post items.  Thanks.

I think he meant how do you add the BP affiliate link to an Amazon link when they have a good deal.