LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

My Lego "ideas" submission got nowhere:

Lego: Higgs Boson.

Just an empty poly-bag, with no photo or any identifying information, priced at a modest $3.99.

Other commentary:

Wall-E? More LIke Wall-ME-WANT-A-BETTER-IDEAS-SET (26.2% clever).

And. DR. WHO. Really, unless you "hail from across the pond", more like "DR. WHO GIVES A - - - -?" (32.498% clever; marginally better).

Traveling/drinking. apologies in advance.

Edited by Cross
  • Like 1

Re: Minas Tirith MOC build... Any ideas on how to ask him?  

I messaged the creator when the project only had a few hundred supporters and didn't get a response. I assume it was because he wanted to see if it would be approved as an official project. If it doesn't pass, I'll try messaging him again.

Maybe its just me but I think they should set up a system which they produce a limited run on an order system of sets wanted by AFOL's. I believe the AT-AT has reached 10K support more than once now. Why not allow people to pre order it for lets say $1k and if they get at least 5k orders, they make it for them and ship it to them.

Brickstarter, dude!!

I'm in on that deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know, do the designers that make the sets that lego passes by on and then make. Do they get any funds? It seems to be happening more.

That`s a good question, you would think that they would because at the end of the day it is using someone`s "Idea" even if it is used later on. If I were to guess and be optimistic , I`d say the answer would be yes. 

They get a small percentage of sales and some swag.

He's asking about the "passes on" sets... The ones that don't get made get squat as far as we know.

I find this whole notion that Lego steals ideas from the ideas site pretty funny. I can't imagine the good designers wouldn't look for MOCs on the net for ideas... Or experiment with a wide variety of models before settling on a few choice models.

• Like 3

He's asking about the "passes on" sets... The ones that don't get made get squat as far as we know.

I find this whole notion that Lego steals ideas from the ideas site pretty funny. I can't imagine the good designers wouldn't look for MOCs on the net for ideas... Or experiment with a wide variety of models before settling on a few choice models.

Agreed.

Tracing the origins of the so-called ideas is a hard thing to do. It's just like composing or inspiration in any sorts of forms.

To a degree, one could say most of the MOC sets were actually 'inspired' by the LEGO their own sets.

Museum? From modulars.

Hubble? From all NASA sets.

WALL-E? Since now half of the LEGO sets are about movies.

Helicarrier? Well, LEGO started the Super Heroes theme... so why not?

Piano? To me, it could be from nanoblock music instrument sets.

Not trying to imply anything to the creators/designers to these sets but just making examples. As I was doing this, it did occur to me that Labyrinth Marble Maze is really one of a kind. Well, it could be from the board game theme, but it does come in a way better form. To me it should be the winner for the next run coz it is indeed a brilliant IDEA.

Sorry to say that but some people here seem to be plainly naive.

LEGO ideas is a wonderful theme and a lot of awesome designs are offered frequently.

The idea behind the ideas project is just ingenious! You get somebody (thousands of somebodies!!!) to design stuff for you and all the potential customers can decide about it.

So not only you get free model designers but also you get a free public-opinion poll. (But not only in terms of the designed sets! Also they can see what people are interested in generally!)

And all that you had to do was uploading an internet page.

They even can influence everything on the page by picking the staffs favorites etc.

So when finally some of these free designs reaches the 10.000 mark it's getting serious for TLC!

They've got to pick at least one. (And tell the rest how awesome they are and that they would have loved to produce all of them).

Picking one is the only part where TLC actually has to work.

What are they aiming for?

1. Producing an unforgetable set which is just awesome!!! ... yeah it would be nice I guess but that's not really the main goal here (sorry to burst your bubble ;-) )

2. Producing a LEGO set which will probably do well on the market and can easily (and cheaply) be produced? ... YES! That's it... BANG!

And honestly I think as a company that's where LEGO is doing it right. No messing around!

People think a 22.000 bricks Helicarrier is cool? Yeah of course they do! But will people buy a 2500,00$ set? Eh... ... ... nope.

(PPP 0,12 X 22000 = 2640).

I mean would you?

So of course the bigger sets really awe us and we are thinking: That's so cool why isn't it being produced by TLC?! I totally would buy one! (And people here would totally buy some more just for investment reasons...).

But arriving back in the real world where you notice that a set with that many bricks does not cost 9,99$ you'll decide otherwise.

TLC of course is aware of this (otherwise somebody would have made terrible choices when picking employees...).

So the most expensive sets we will (probably) ever see are 400-500$ sets and there won't be that many of them. (Maybe with some inflation going on there will be but then this calculations has to be redone!).

As for now TLC always did a great job picking the right sets.

There is a huge fanbase when it comes to TBBT and Dr.Who, as well as Wall-E (and pixar-movies in general) and all of these sets can be easily produced, even if you decide to do a second run.

Once people start to be realistic abut what TLC might eventually produce things will get interesting.

The AT-AT by the way has about 6200 or more bricks which leaves us with a minimum price of somewhere in between 700 and 750$.

I bet 100 people will easily buy at least 100x 129,99$ AT-ATs but only MAYBE 1 out of 100 will buy a 700$ AT-AT.

As far as the AT-AT is involved I'd say that TLC knows that people want to see an UCS of it but they are not willing to produce one that is more expensive than maybe 300-400$.

Edited by Locutus001
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor coming from the same source behind the UCS Helicarrier, The Kwik-E-Mart, and UCS TIE Fighter is now saying each of the upcoming Ideas sets for Big Bang Theory and Doctor Who will retail $109 NZD which is roughly $80 US making these the most expensive sets under the line. I'm not too keen on $80 but hopefully either design will merit the amount and not just licensing. Also a rumor of release dates around October or November this year.

16260467097_6a9807b69c_o.png

Source: 1 2

• Like 1

Rumor coming from the same source behind the UCS Helicarrier, The Kwik-E-Mart, and UCS TIE Fighter is now saying each of the upcoming Ideas sets for Big Bang Theory and Doctor Who will retail $109 NZD which is roughly $80 US making these the most expensive sets under the line. I'm not too keen on $80 but hopefully either design will merit the amount and not just licensing. Also a rumor of release dates around October or November this year.

Source: 1 2

A room with 7 licensed characters ? This sounds more and more like Palpatine's Arrest :)  In which case $70 - $80 is standard

• 2 months later...